Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So... Anime.
Miyazaki Steps Out Of Retirement

Sora News Wrote:"Today, Studio Ghibli announced that the CG short was now complete, and Miyazaki has decided to “withdraw” his retirement in order to make one last feature-length anime film. While a television special screened in Japan last year hinted that Kemushi no Boro would be made into a feature film, today’s announcement only said that Miyazaki was coming out of retirement “for no other reason than he had found a subject worthy of making“.

According to the announcement, Miyazaki’s decision to come out of retirement came upon completing Kemushi no Boro with a young team of staff, during which time many of his longstanding, valuable companions passed away, which caused him to think deeply about his own mortality."

Oho. This is definitely going to be interesting. As a fan of the man's work, it's going to be interesting to see where he's planning on going.
Looking forward to hear more about this.
Kemushi no Boro has an interesting drawing style... it might be something worthy.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(05-21-2017, 05:14 PM)Super_trainer_Larry Wrote: I want to comment here that I have been watching anime but its not my type (poison and bug are *ta ta daaa*) buuut I could go all day on the grand tour and what I watch on history channel but hey at least I watched attack on titan, and dragon ball Z and something else a girl recommended me, so to you people who like your Asian cartoons of real house wives of New Jersey I say "you people are the weirdest people I met, same to the girl who recommended me the anime show, now back to my American roots BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, AND NASCAR!!!!" *goes and sits in his recliner with a coke can in his hands and does the team cheer*

Larry, I get that you're a kid, but you still get a raised eyebrow and a slight frown for that off-colour remark.

Please try to recognize that you aren't from the only nationality on the internet, especially on a forum based on a fan spin-off of a Japanese game.
Well it's against the forum rules to be disrespectful to other cultures, so knock it off.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(05-21-2017, 06:08 PM)Iron Wrote: Well it's against the forum rules to be disrespectful to other cultures, so knock it off.

alright.... i'll just..... uh...... uh....... oh I got nothing to do with my genes so........ I'LL SHARE JESUS TO THE POOR IN AFRICA!! Wait everyones doing that...... uh to be honest I don't know what modern Americans do other than whining about our president and making fun of everyone else. Wait we.... no that's what the French do oh....... no that's what the British do ah, i'll talk about lave ahhh she's so pretty WAIT IM NOTHING WITH OUT MY PRIDE!!! IM JUST A BRICK WE NEED A NEW REASON TO BE AMERICAN BECAUSE WE SUCK!!!
RIP Larry 9/9/2016 - 8/31/2017 "blessed by lord Godmunk with patriotic values and a crush that lasted longer than expected"  Heart the skulls ruins RP group (main group not the random add ons)
The easiest way to avoid being rude is to just talk about the thread topic, and not bring nationality into it.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(05-21-2017, 06:43 PM)Iron Wrote: The easiest way to avoid being rude is to just talk about the thread topic, and not bring nationality into it.

ok then im out just wanted to say I watched anime and I didn't like it so I guess i'll keep watching news, history documentaries and car shows and keep it to my self on those topics
RIP Larry 9/9/2016 - 8/31/2017 "blessed by lord Godmunk with patriotic values and a crush that lasted longer than expected"  Heart the skulls ruins RP group (main group not the random add ons)
So. I had time to myself and rather than brave the 33 degree temperature outside, I ended up in a four hour rewatch binge of the Macross Frontier feature films Itsuwari no Utahime and Sayonara no Tsubasa (in that order).

With the Macross franchise as a whole being mired in a legal scrum that sees no sign of abating any time soon, thanks to Harmony Gold's continued legal challenge of international rights, you're unlikely to ever see Macross Frontier outside Japan, which is a shame, given how large of a smash hit it was when it released in 2008. This is a huge shame, especially since the original Macross was part of the components of the Frankenstein's creation known as Robotech and Macross Plus was a seminal work of the 90s (with a good chunk of the Cowboy Bebop crew cutting their teeth there).

Either way, four hours later, no regrets.

Since it's unlikely to ever get a release outside Japan (and the fact that many foreign sources don't even know about it's existence), I figured I might as well shill it. (Also, for the record, I own the Blu Rays and they are pretty)

[Image: Macross2.jpg]

For the uninitiated, true to it's series roots, the Macross Frontier films are a heady mix of slice-of-life, space opera and a really really rowdy J-Pop concert. Set aboard the eponymous Frontier, a massive colony vessel meandering across the Milky Way Galaxy searching for a habitable world to terraform (along with director Shoji Kawamori's love affair with the city of San Francisco, lovingly recreated aboard the ship), the film focuses on the budding relationship between pilot cadet Alto Saotome, pop star Sheryl Nome and up-and-coming starlet Ranka Lee. 

This idyllic sojourn across the stars is disrupted when the Frontier fleet smacks face first into the Vajra, an aggressive insectoid species kicking off an interstellar bug-war and Alto finds himself caught up in the action alongside SMS, a private military contractor.

At it's core though, despite being epic in scope, Macross Frontier manages to keep itself tightly focused on telling a personal story, and the focus on the trio of protagonists keeps the whole thing grounded despite the film haring off in pursuit of eye-popping spectacle. It's two 120 minute films full of pseudo-science, physics defying dog fights, pop concerts, love triangles, government conspiracies, giant transforming fighter plane robots and really really really high credit card limits.

It's also the story of a girl pursuing her dreams, a woman desperately seeking belonging and a man trying to find his way in the world and despite scenes involving surfing aircraft carriers (don't ask), it also never forgets that at it's core, it's a story about human emotions, despite the bells and whistles.

Being a war story, there's blood. That should go without saying. Some casualties border on the slightly gratuitous. There's minor nudity, though nothing you wouldn't see on cable.

If you like love stories, it probably won't hurt.
If you like space opera, it probably won't hurt.
If you like aircraft dogfights, it probably won't hurt.
If you like pop concerts, it probably won't hurt.

Summary: Giant Robot Dogfights: The Love Story: The Musical

[Image: Macross4.jpg]

Streamable Sources:
Macross Frontier 1:Itsuwari no Utahime (The False Songstress)
Macross Frontier 2: Sayonara no Tsubasa (Wings of Goodbye)
Wow, where has this thread been hiding.

I too am an Anime-watcher. I've been for... 5 years? And I've been drowned in bingewatching and... such.
Since I have the chance, I'll write down all the animes I've watched and I'll put them on ranks 1st to 3rd whereas 1st is an anime that amazed me and I can't get enough, 2nd is a good anime I enjoyed more or less and 3rd is... a letdown.

Inside the ranks themselves I want to say that there's no value in being top or bottom.

3rd:
 Mayoiga. didn't make sense and had a forced ending.
 One Piece, after the 2-year gap. Now it's full of fillers and fanservice, and MC seems to nearly die ever 5 seconds.
 Prison School saw 4 episodes, realised I didn't like Ecchi...
 Surprise, surprise, Pokemon I actually don't mesh to well with this, but I was "Caught" by the games, like really. I went as far as to become a competetive master! on PS at least, and more like expert, not master.
 Soul Eater Not I loved the first season. I couldn't recognise this.

2nd:
Yona Of The Dawn. this should probably be in 1st, but I can't remember much of it.
Tokyo Ghoul same as above^^
Overlord same as above^^
Snow White With The Red Hair
Our Scool President Is A Maid
Log Horizon I don't really know why I don't like this as much as you. Seems to have everything needed
The Devil Is A Part Timer
Say "I Love You"
Ao No Haru Ride
Cowboy Bepop I only saw one episode, so ignore this if you want
Fairy Tail I loved it first time I watched it, and then, it just seemed dull the second time
Dragon Ball saw 100 episodes, got tired. I was told it got good only after ep. 100, though.
Fullmetal Alchemist It's really good, even I can see that. It wasn't my favourite cup o' tea though

1st:
 maybe Soul Eater
 maybe Akame Ga Kill
 One Piece, until the 2-year gap, after that I don't like it at all.
 Death Note
 AoT
 Magi: Both seasons.
 SAO, mosty the first arc, then less as the arcs move on. sorry, I guess not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did :'|
 Code Geass (Lelouch of the rebellion) both seasons.
 No Game No Life
 Parasyte
 Hunter X hunter

I probably forgot some, but these are those I remember. And it might seem like I like most animes I watch, but no. I'm picky Smile .
Most  animes I watch have been seen and suggested by friends (yes, I have some) and family.
I've heard of this Boku No Hero and I think I'll watch it if one of you suggest it.

When it comes to studio Ghibli, I'd call myself a fan. I've watched a lot of them and I would never compare it to other anime because of how unique Hayao Miasaki's films are.
(06-06-2017, 02:22 PM)Nylon Wrote: I've heard of this Boku No Hero and I think I'll watch it if one of you suggest it.

Boku no Hero Academia is in my opinion, was better read than watched, but my circle of friends also does call me an incorrigible hipster jokingly, so take that with a pinch of salt.
The anime has for the most part managed to hit the majority of the series high notes though, and it's a really good adaptation of the manga, so it gets a recommendation anyway.

The second season of Hero Academia is one of the standouts in a rather... weak Spring season. I'd say it's good, with the caveat of being very very Shonen.

The other standout of Spring 2017 for me is Re:Creators, which writer Rei Hiroe openly admits is "Last Action Hero, The Anime".
Re:Creators was such an insane over the top concept that I could not pass this one up, especially since it's a collaboration between the aforementioned Rei Hiroe who wrote Black Lagoon and Ei Aoki who worked on Fate/Zero.

It's a heady mix of stock character tropes, broody existentialist themes while simultaneously being a heartfelt love letter to the genres.

As a kicker, Hiroyuki Sawano is working on the OST, and he's one of my favorite composers currently active in the field (though even he can't hold a candle to Yoko Kanno).

Needless to say... it's a bit more representative of the Seinen genre