Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buff Sticky Terrain a Little
So, I was reviewing my posted guides to see what would need updating after the egg move overhaul, and I came across an interesting note in my Seikamater analysis that I'd forgotten I put there:

Quote:If you really want to mess with your opponent, bring a Haagross that knows Sticky Terrain along with your Quiver Dancing Seikamater.  If you can manage to boost up while the field move is in effect, not even Inflagetah will be able to stop you until the terrain returns to normal, since its priority attacks will be disabled until then.  Harptera is still going to have free reign over Seikamater though since it's airborne.  But would you look at that...Haagross resists both of Harptera's STAB moves Tongue

And then I realized that it's EXACTLY what Psychic Terrain does in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

...minus the super awesome secondary effects that all the other Terrain Moves have.  Grassy grants a Leftovers level heal every turn and boosts grass moves, Electric prevents sleep and boosts electric moves, Misty prevents statuses and halves the power of Dragon moves, Psychic prevents priority moves from working and buffs Psychic moves...

...and Sticky Terrain only stops priority moves with no bonus effect based on its Poison typing to my knowledge.  A buff to it to boost Poison moves or something would bring it more in line with what the other Terrains do.  

And while Poison types and Haagross aren't really that significant in Uranium's competitive meta (particularly since there's no Terrain triggering abilities nor Terrain Extenders/Seeds in Uranium), I would like to see Sticky Terrain be a little more than just a 'half Psychic Terrain,' just for a little peace of mind.

And who knows?  Maybe Sticky Terrain will be the deciding factor in a match when an Inflagetah can't use its most powerful attack...players just need some incentive to actually use the move (and by extension, Haagross. Though I guess Raffiti could use it too...)
Keep in mind that Grassy Terrain also neuters the damage of Earthquake, Magnitude, and some other Ground moves as well, so its technically the best Terrain in terms of effects, but that is besides the point.

As for Sticky Terrain, I'd like the thought of Poison moves being boosted, but what about making it so that Items also can't be Knocked Off, Tricked/Switcharooed off, destroyed, or stolen as well, since those moves are fairly prevalent? A Terrain Extender and ways to tutor Terrain Moves onto Pokémon in the future would be nice as well, and perhaps giving Haagross Sticky Terrain as a ability would see its usage increase, but I'm not sure how they would program those features in, or how long it would take for them to do so in the first place....
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(10-13-2017, 10:07 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Keep in mind that Grassy Terrain also neuters the damage of Earthquake, Magnitude, and some other Ground moves as well, so its technically the best Terrain in terms of effects, but that is besides the point.

As for Sticky Terrain, I'd like the thought of Poison moves being boosted, but what about making it so that Items also can't be Knocked Off, Tricked/Switcharooed off, destroyed, or stolen as well, since those moves are fairly prevalent? A Terrain Extender and ways to tutor Terrain Moves onto Pokémon in the future would be nice as well, and perhaps giving Haagross Sticky Terrain as a ability would see its usage increase, but I'm not sure how they would program those features in, or how long it would take for them to do so in the first place....

It's pretty easy to forget that third effect that Grassy Terrain has, tbh.  But yeah, very powerful since EQ is really common.

Hmmm...yes, immunity to item theft/loss would be an interesting side effect.  Probably not enough to warrant using the move on its own, but it would make it a nice sorta anti-meta type move, wouldn't it?  Fits pretty well with the move's name, too.  And seeing as Sticky Hold exists, the effect should be possible to implement in theory.

Not really sure about the Terrain ability thing, since that seems to be reserved for the Legendaries in the main games right now (since it's unique to the Tapus and all).  Though the abilities are certainly what made the Terrains super duper viable in the first place...new items might be a little harder, though...

I always found it weird that Misty Terrain is the only one of the Terrains from Gen 6 learned naturally by Uranium's currently released pokemon, tbh (though Zephy will have access to Electric Terrain when it's released...except it can't benefit from it at all while its Levitate ability is active...yeesh...).

Another thing that would help Sticky Terrain's viability would be if Haagross could learn Volt Switch.  Seems the devs didn't get all of the unlearnable egg moves accounted for.  Though Volt Switch is a tutor move (but why is Jolteon the only potential Volt Switcher that can learn it that way?)