Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's breathe some life into this section! Metalynx Discussion
I didn't played Pokémon since I left the Uranium community 2 years ago, so I'm not much into the new generation. I don't even know how Z-Moves works and what are Ultra Beasts. About the Zard Y, I'm ashamed for forgetting about it even tho my favorite team in Gen 6 was built around it. Actually really ashamed since it is one of my favorite mons as well, lol.

Quote:I think the main difference is that most of Uranium's 'mons aren't super amazing tanks/walls for the most part, so hyper offense-like strategies tend to be really effective/the most common strategie.

I noticed this as well. You have a lot of pokémons with insane offensive capabilites and very few defensive ones to go up against them. I don't want them to be nerfed tho. I don't like that ideia, at all. I'd rather ban them to an Ubers tier and prevent them from being used in official matches/tournaments. But I believe that, when online is stable and the meta begins to develop, people will figure out more and more strategies than we can think. That's how metagames works anyways, in every game.
(04-03-2018, 05:51 PM)Jabuloso Wrote: I didn't played Pokémon since I left the Uranium community 2 years ago, so I'm not much into the new generation. I don't even know how Z-Moves works and what are Ultra Beasts. About the Zard Y, I'm ashamed for forgetting about it even tho my favorite team in Gen 6 was built around it. Actually really ashamed since it is one of my favorite mons as well, lol.

Quote:I think the main difference is that most of Uranium's 'mons aren't super amazing tanks/walls for the most part, so hyper offense-like strategies tend to be really effective/the most common strategie.

I noticed this as well. You have a lot of pokémons with insane offensive capabilites and very few defensive ones to go up against them. I don't want them to be nerfed tho. I don't like that ideia, at all. I'd rather ban them to an Ubers tier and prevent them from being used in official matches/tournaments. But I believe that, when online is stable and the meta begins to develop, people will figure out more and more strategies than we can think. That's how metagames works anyways, in every game.

*shrug*  I still think Tapu Koko is a fair enough comparison to Yatagaryu.  Summoning Electric Terrain (which was in Gen 6.  Nobody used it in serious competitive matches until Gen 7, though, when Terrain Extenders and the Terrain Surge abilities became a thing ) immediately upon entering the battlefield is really similar to Stormbringer's effects.  For reference, if you remember the Gems from gen 5, Z moves are basically that, but more extreme, once per battle things like Mega Evolution.  Nothing we currently worry about in Uranium's meta, though, since we don't even have the bare minimum Normal Gem.

No, I don't want anything to be nerfed either.  Dramsama already took a huge hit in losing its massive HP stat that was meant to partially work in conjunction with Transform (as stated by the original devs), and it really hasn't done it any favors.  Besides, very little gets directly nerfed in the main series games, so I don't see why the trend should be bucked now. (though a few notable nerfs did happen in Gen 7.  Poor Gengar got its ability switched to Cursed Body in Gen 7, losing access to Levitate entirely.  Not that it got hurt too badly by the change, but it was still kinda sad to see.  And then Darkrai got nerfed really unnecessarily as well when Dark Void got its accuracy nerfed to 50%...which was unneeded when Smeargle was the reason the nerf was put in place, and it can't even use the move any more due to another nerf making it so only Darkrai can ever use the move in the first place.  Most of the changes overall were small buffs to base stats, though, in both Gen 6 and 7.)
I'm a bit late to this
First of all, I'd like to clarify something. Are we talking about Metalynx or M-Metalynx here? Because they're two separate mons and the usage stat corresponding to "Metalynx" in the sheet Aiden, Narshyl and I made does not take that into consideration. It may or may not be because of the fact that we used data regardless of Mega or non Mega that Metalynx reaches such a high usage stat. Looking back, we're aware that we should have calculated things differently but it just was impossible for us back then. Besides, this usage-based tierlist isn't really representative of what's being played at the moment, as it uses far too little raw data to be accurate.
Later in this discussion I got that you guys were talking solely about M-Metalynx so that's what I'll do as well.

Quote:1) I say that because I got really curious about it, and went to do some math. Mega Metalynx is, at least theoretically, capable of killing everything in his path without boosting - all he needs is some pointed stones floating in the air around his foes' team. With Stealth Rock set, Metalynx can almost kill any Fire-type that might switch in, ...

2) leaving them with very low health just by hitting them with a Leaf Blade (that is, when Stealth Rock is up). I'm not even considering the possibility of a EQ, which would be much more catastrophic to the enemy's Fire-type mons.

3) Besides, the other threats, Fighting-type mons, can't afford to take a neutral hit from Metalynx, because that hurts a lot as well.

4) Actually, the only mon I found (I may have overlooked many other mons, btw) that could reliably switch into Leaf Blade is Coatlith, and even though that Coatlith has to watch out for a Meteor Mash. And we all know that Metalynx has enough coverage to deal with almost everything in the game, or at least most of the mons that we believe would shape the meta.

1) Theoretically, a lot of mons are able to ohko others with the help of Stealth Rock alone, it doesn't apply only to M-Metalynx. Besides, it's easy to say M-Metalynx can net some kills when all the mons you chose as switch-ins lose a good 25% of their health on the Rocks. There's that, and also the fact that most Fire-types, with the exception of Beliaddon and Pajay, can hardly be considered counters to M-Metalynx due to their overall uninvested mediocre bulk. Most make for formidable checks for sure, but counters? Not so much.

2) Now despite what I just said about Fire-types lacking in general bulk, if you look at Dragonstrike's calcs, you can see the damage output of Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash isn't that impressive against them. I consider a 3HKO after the rocks a comfortable offensive switch-in, as these Fire-types can outspeed or force out M-Metalynx.

I'll use the Adamant 252 Atk version of M-Metalynx that was previously used to calc
In a nutshell, this shows that saying M-Metalynx can deal with its checks on its own, as far as Fire-types are concerned is gravely overestimating the mon. Now that's assuming the foe's Fire-type switches in on a Leaf Blade, because M-Metalynx has no interest in firing Earthquakes blindly if you're not even sure your opponent has a Fire or Steel-type you can anticipate.

3) This I can agree on. Fighting-types in Uranium aren't exactly super bulky, but still, keep in mind that using that one Fighting-type to weaken your M-Metalynx, for another mon to clean is an extreamely common strategy, especially in Uranium where it's all about offense.

4) S51-A depending on the set, can comfortably come in on any of M-Metalynx's attack, and either threaten with a powerful Overheat/Focus Blast, or simply annoy by spamming its stab moves and Recover, eventually pp-stalling M-Metalynx's Synthesis or forcing it out.
All it takes for Gliscor to avoid the 2HKO from a +0 Adamant 252Atk M-Metalynx is full HP investment, without even an Impish nature. Meaning it can start setting up Swords Dance while Roosting to its heart's desire, being faster than M-Metalynx, and hit back with Knock Off or a neutral Earthquake.
Defensive Laissure can reliably come in on EQ or Meteor Mash, Intimidate M-Metalynx, and double switch to something that resists Leaf Blade. Let's say, one of the aforementioned Fire-types.

What I'm trying to say is that in my opinion, M-Metalynx is not that terrifying of a mon. The overcentralization of Uranium's meta around Nuclear-types made it so that almost everything now runs Fire and Fighting moves to check Steel-types. While M-Metalynx is great at tanking a hit and hitting hard back, it isn't the great wall that its stats suggest. And its Speed impairs its offensive capabilities, as has been stated earlier in this thread. If anything, M-Metalynx can be a short-lived Wallbreaker with Swords Dance, or a tank that endures a hit and fights back (nowhere close to being a wall).

Pairing it with Syrentide sounds decent on the paper, as they perfectly cover each other's weaknesses, and suggests a Bulky Offense or Balanced teambuilding. I'd personally choose to have Syrentide hold the Mega Stone instead of Metalynx, as the former needs all the defense it can get in order to tank and hit back, while the latter can Synthesis and Leech Seed. Make sure you then have speedy mons on your side, or else this core will easily fall to pressure.

To answer your initial question, @Jabuloso, I don't think M-Metalynx is that centralizing or threatening of a mon and don't think it is broken in any way either. The way I see it, it's just a waste of a Mega slot as of right now, and it is too easy to play around.
(Derp.  I forgot Lavent existed.  Whoops. Shame on me...)

I do agree, @shademonkey.  Maybe I could have used some better word choice?  Regardless, with how offensive Uranium's meta is, and how many of the most powerful/commonly used pokemon have Fighting or Fire coverage they can use to pick apart Metalynx's defenses (which are arguably better than Ferrothorn's when Metalynx Mega Evolves, I might add.  Ferro can hold an item, though), it really grates on Metalynx's ability to do its job.

I do think Gliscor would have to be a little careful around Metalynx if the kitty has swords of its own, though.  Roost leaves it open to a SE Leaf Blade if Metalynx is slower, and a good prediction from a buffed Metalynx could rip apart a Gliscor just as easily as a buffed EQ could bury Metalynx.  A cat without swords has no reason to stay in against the bat, though, that's for sure.  That matchup probably comes down to the sets of both pokemon primarily.

As for S51-A...I wouldn't be surprised if some Swords Dance Metalynx in the future opted to run Crunch specifically for the alien.  That'd be one way to break it, though the question of whether that's worth the moveslot probably boils down to team comp.  And if Metalynx can outspeed its prey or afford to take a heavy hit (which would primarily depend on S51-A's set).

Now, if and when Nuclear overcentralization isn't a problem anymore, Metalynx's ability to tank might be a little better pronounced, depending on what other types need to be watched for besides Steel.  And the lean, green kitty'll pobably comfortably fit right in without seeming too OP.
It's nice to see your opinions, guys! I should say I don't agree with everything I said in my post, I just wanted to start a discussion (although I do think that Metanlyx is a insanely good mon and maybe more powerful than we expect). But mind me not, I've been away from the game for a really long time, I'm just a nobody nowadays haha.

I hope the online is fixed soon, I look forward to see you guys and the most proeminent competitive player putting all the strategies you've been developing to use, giving birth to what I hope will be a really strong competitive scene. I'll stick around for a while, so I expect to see something happening in the future.