Resistances (1/2x): Bug, Dark, Fire, Normal, Poison, Rock

HP: 125
AT: 135
DF: 75
SA: 70
SD: 75
SP: 60

Overview

Revived from the elusive Gold Fossil, Majungold is a prehistoric… animal (?) that packs a wallop. Just by looking at its fantastic attack stat, you know how much physical damage this thing does. And when that attack is backed up by an equally large Hp stat, Majungold can tank several hits and fire back strong STAB moves. In fact, its STAB coverage of Fighting and Rock is one of the best offensive combinations in the game- and with Earthquake in its arsenal, it can hit nearly the entire meta with supereffective damage!

So why isn’t this thing on every team? Because it has a low base speed of 60 in a meta where anything less than 90 is considered slow. On top of that, on the defensive side it has a whopping eight weaknesses which are all very easy to exploit. However, the Gold Bar pokemon still has more than a few tricks up its sleeve to mitigate its weaknesses.

Gold Standard
(Rock Polish)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417] @ Life Orb
Adamant: 252 Att, 176 Spe, 82 Hp
Clear Body
- Rock Polish
- Drain Punch / Golden Fist
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Elemental Punch / Knock Off

There are a lot of slashes in this set, but don’t worry it all makes sense. First we have Rock Polish and the unique speed EV’s: these ensure that after a single Rock Polish, Majungold reaches 400 speed, surpassing 132 base speed and making it the fourth fastest pokémon in the game after Inflageta and its mega, and Mega Archilles. Inflagetah uses priority and you don’t want to send out Majungold on an Earth Power Mega Raptor anyway, so outspeeding these three is pointless. Next we have an option between Drain Punch and its signature move Golden Fist; the former provides recovery while the latter provides greater damage and free $$$ after the battle*! Pick whichever one suits your style best.

After that we have a choice between Stone Edge and Rock Slide. Stone Edge provides more power with lower accuracy, while Rock Slide has better accuracy but less damage and a chance to flinch. Finally we have our coverage move- Earthquake is the most common option, but any one of Fire Punch, Ice Punch and Thunderpunch can be used to round off your team’s coverage. Knock Off is also an option, as Dark/ Fighting is a potent combination.

The EV’s and nature are there to ensure Majungold utilizes that 135 base attack as best as possible, reaches 400 base speed after Rock Polish, and the rest are dumped into HP for survivability. Clear Body is the only choice for this set, due to the fact that there are a good many Intimidate and Petrify users in the metagame, either of which would ruin this set’s intent.

* Note: This is completely useless in online battling

Outslow the Competition
(Slow attacker)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417]@ Life Orb / Leftovers
Brave: 252 Att, 252 HP, 4 SpD. IV’s: 0 Spe
Battle Armor / Clear Body
- Drain Punch
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

This set would be a lot better with the Assault Vest but… Anyway this set takes a radically different approach than the first set. Majungold can use its slowness combined with 0 Speed IV’s to Gyro Ball any opposing fairies. With investment in HP, it’s guaranteed to survive a hit and fire back a potent move. Drain Punch is the preferred fighting move on this set due to the fact the Gold Bar Pokemon will be taking a lot of hits. Knock Off can be used as an annoyance move, but can be replaced with Earthquake for coverage if you prefer. Stone Edge is there for maximum power.

The choice of items comes to a preference of whether you want to do more damage or have slightly higher survivability. Same with the ability- you can avoid critical hits to survive, or avoid Intimidate bringing down your game.

Bro, do u even lift gold?
(Bulk Up)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417]@ Leftovers
Adamant: 252 Att, 252 HP, 4 Def
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
- Knock Off / Elemental Punch / Earthquake

A relatively standard Bulk Up set. Come in on something that can’t hurt you like Inflagetah lacking Earthquake, Bulk Up and then proceed to sweep. You can choose between Battle Armor or Clear Body for this set, but Battle Armor is the superior ability for this set as it prevents crits from surpassing your defense boosts at high levels. Leftovers is the preferred item on this set for the same reason, it promotes longevity, though Life Orb can still be used.

Drain Punch gives you recovery, so it is mandatory on this set. Stone Edge > Rock slide since the flinch chance is irrelevant and this set is all about power. Finally we have the usual coverage move choice- Knock Off is the best by a slight amount due to its ability to nix your opponents leftovers in the event of a boosting war. The elemental punches or Earthquake can round off coverage however you see fit if Knock Off isn’t your thing.

The EV’s are designed to give your Majungold maximum survivability and attack power, with a little bit added to defense for the Bulk Up boosts. Investing in speed isn’t worth it, as even with a Jolly nature and maximum investment it reaches only 240 speed, slower than any threat you’d face anyway.

Golden Band
(Choice Band)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417]@ Choice Band
Adamant: 252 Att, 252 Hp, 4 SpD
Clear Body
- Drain Punch / Golden Fist
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Elemental Punch

This set is defined by its item, the Choice Band. When equipped, Majungold reaches an absurd 607 attack at the cost of not being able to switch moves. Drain Punch and Golden Fist are your choices for fighting type STABs, one can heal and the other does more damage and gets you more cash*. Knock Off is your second move, required on this set because Majungold will force switches, allowing you to wear down its counters by kicking out its item.

After that we have Stone Edge or Rock Slide, the classic Power VS Accuracy argument. Finally, Earthquake or the Elemental Punches if you need additional coverage. Clear Body is a must for this set to avoid being Intimidated, while the EV’s are pretty self-explanatory.

* Note: This is completely useless in online battling

Golden Breaker
(Double Dance)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417] @ Leftovers
Adamant: 252 Att, 100 Spe, 82HP
Clear Body
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Rock Slide
- Rock Polish

A fusion set of the Bulk up and Rock Polish sets. The idea here is to switch in, determine which setup move is more appropriate to use, and boost up ideally using both moves at some point. Bulk Up and Rock Polish are the crux of this set, while Rock Slide and Drain Punch are your two attacking moves due to their excellent combination. Drain Punch heals, Rock Slide has more accuracy so it’s preferred here and it has a flinch chance. If this thing gets enough of the right boosts, it will become an unstoppable menace.

The EV’s are the same as the first set so that, again, it can be the fourth fastest pokémon after a Rock Polish with as much attack and HP as possible. Clear Body is the only option for this set, as otherwise it’ll be ruined by Intimidate and Petrify users too easily. Leftovers in the best item for this set, as more longevity = higher chance to get another boost --> kill everything easier. 

Other Options

--- An Iron Defense set might see usage, buts largely outclassed by the Bulk Up set. 
--- Hammer Fist or Superpower can be used on non speed sets due to their better power, but beware of their debilitating side effects.
--- Don’t use a stall set. It has 135 base attack and 8 common weaknesses. Just don’t.

Playing against Majungold

For one thing it has eight weaknesses and no way to increase its special defense, so you can do something about that. Majungold is a pokémon that relies on its boosts, so the turn before it boosts can be used to weaken it severely. Alternatively, Roar and Whirlwind users can absolutely ruin any of the boost sets, though they must be careful of the increased power Majungold carries.

Wintoger stands out as a check and or counter to Majungold- it’s dual special STABs Aura Sphere and Moonblast can cripple Majungold, if not KO it due to the life orb boost it gets. It can also switch in on any attack except maybe an Earthquake. Gliscor can also serve as a counter to any Majungold lacking Ice Punch, as their defense is so high it takes pittance from the Gold Bar pokemon’s attacks while Gliscor can Knock off its item or Toxic stall it out.

Finally, S51-A can also serve as a counter for Majungold lacking Knock Off, as it can switch in on most attacks and Psychic it to death.

Team Options

(( Will be added later. Taking any suggestions))
This is very good.  I wasn't expecting much from it, but I guess this is what you get when you take a closer look at things: they surprise you.  I can't help but laugh at the fact that a money making move is actually a viable STAB option in this case Tongue You'll get no criticisms from me this time Wink
(10-09-2016, 05:50 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: This is very good.  I wasn't expecting much from it, but I guess this is what you get when you take a closer look at things: they surprise you.  I can't help but laugh at the fact that a money making move is actually a viable STAB option in this case Tongue You'll get no criticisms from me this time Wink

Thank you! Although if you have any team options for Majungold, don't hesitate to tell me. I'll have to edit that in later.
(10-09-2016, 06:18 PM)Cataclyptic Wrote:
(10-09-2016, 05:50 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: This is very good.  I wasn't expecting much from it, but I guess this is what you get when you take a closer look at things: they surprise you.  I can't help but laugh at the fact that a money making move is actually a viable STAB option in this case Tongue You'll get no criticisms from me this time Wink

Thank you! Although if you have any team options for Majungold, don't hesitate to tell me. I'll have to edit that in later.
Definitely anything that can help it with those weaknesses it has.  Particularly pokemon that can take out the special attackers seeking to cripple the bulk up sets.  It's got so many weaknesses though, it's gonna need multiple team members to support it...hmmm...maybe Metalynx since it can stomach all of Majungold's weaknesses minus Fighting?
Coatlith and Special Vilucard can make great partners, dealing with a lot of Majungold's checks. Vilucard with Psychic/Sludge Bomb/Dark Pulse/Giga Drain can swiftly defeats a lot of threats to this Pokemon. Coatlith can deal with faster Ground types that Vilucard can't, having great synergy with aformentioned 'Mons.
Overrall, good guide.
Jump! Jump! Dodge! Dodge!
*Furious Screaming*
Tandor Casual League Sewer Theme Gym Leader.
Your improving by leaps and bounds, I see! Great job on the guide. I see no problems, besides a few counters missing. Antarki/Dramsama can hell for the guys, Pranksters force it out with taunt, Syrentide Walls it and drowns its to death, Dunsereph can paralyze it and flitch it to death, Lathan and Encartress.... the list can go on. Its weak defensive typing really does hurt it, and Status is even more of a problem for it than many other Pokémon. Can't see myself using it in comp, but I may give it a chance in story mode, someday...
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
Lately I've been looking a lot into the Assault Vest item, what makes a good user, and on the contrary which mons should not be considered to use it. If you're like me and didn't already know what traits make an efficient Assault Vest holder, or if you're simply curious, here's a short list of resources you can read : 
Out Of Style: Why Assault Vest Can't Be Slapped on Just Anything
Biting the Bullet: Assault Vest
What Pokemon(s) can abuse the assault vest effectively?

What needs to be remembered is that good Assault Vest users should already have tanking capabilities.
They should have a way to heal off some of the damage they take, either with draining moves like Giga Drain, or with abilities like Regenerator, Poison Heal, Blood Lust, the situational Water/Volt Absorb. If they can't do that, they should have key resistances that allow them safe switch-ins; or prove effective at threatening out the mons they come into.
Users should be able to fire off powerful blows, since attacking is the only they're allowed to do.
Opportunity cost : is Assault Vest really worth using over another item? Isn't the pokemon too reliant on its support movepool?

I know the item isn't in the game yet, I really look forward to the final update that implements the missing items left. In the meantime, a little speculation can't hurt, can it? As I was scrolling down the dex for potential candidates, I noticed that Majungold seemingly possessed most of the qualities required.

I would have done a quick analysis myself but that has already been done in the original post, and well.
Quote:Outslow the Competition
(Slow attacker)
[Image: latest?cb=20160812032417]@ Life Orb / Leftovers
Brave: 252 Att, 252 HP, 4 SpD. IV’s: 0 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

This set would be a lot better with the Assault Vest but… Anyway this set takes a radically different approach than the first set. Majungold can use its slowness combined with 0 Speed IV’s to Gyro Ball any opposing fairies. With investment in HP, it’s guaranteed to survive a hit and fire back a potent move. Drain Punch is the preferred fighting move on this set due to the fact the Gold Bar Pokemon will be taking a lot of hits. Knock Off can be used as an annoyance move, but can be replaced with Earthquake for coverage if you prefer. Stone Edge is there for maximum power.

The choice of items comes to a preference of whether you want to do more damage or have slightly higher survivability. Same with the ability- you can avoid critical hits to survive, or avoid Intimidate bringing down your game.
Recovery in the form of stab Drain Punch, respectable bulk in 125/75/75, good offensive presence with great type coverage and excellent Attack BS of 135.
The only thing I'd change if using Assault Vest is that I would put those HP EVs into Special Defense. Majungold already has quite the HP BS, and strenghthening the defenses would do a better job at improving its survival. Just look at Conkeldurr. They have similar stats.

Other pokémon I'm looking into for potential future Assault Vest users :
Chainite, Herolune, Tubareel, Haagross, Baariette, S51-A
Tell me what you think!