Poll: Should Archilles (normal) go to B Rank?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.82%
10 58.82%
No
41.18%
7 41.18%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Guide] Top Metagame Threats
Snow Cloak and Sand Veil aren't banned because although they are luck-based, they're very unreliable strategies that haven't caused anyone real problems. Like I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, one of Smogon's philosophies is to remove aspects that allow an inferior player to consistently beat a superior player through pure luck.

Double Team and Minimize work consistently enough to warrant a ban. A vastly inferior player, knowing they have a very small chance of winning by skill, can have a very solid shot of winning through luck using Evasion-boosting moves. This is uncompetitive and unhealthy. It's as if in professional basketball, a coin is tossed at the beginning of the game, and whoever wins the coin toss begins the game with a 50-0 lead. An inferior basketball team, knowing they have a slim shot of winning just through skill, would love to abuse this coin flip in order to try to win through luck. Obviously, it would be a terrible idea to have this coin flip be a thing in real professional basketball, and similarly it's a terrible idea to allow Evasion-boosting moves in competitive Pokemon.

However, Snow Cloak and Sand Veil increase your odds of winning through luck by so little that it's not really worth the effort, and therefore there's no need for them to be banned. Sure, they increase your chances a little, but you either have to make your team worse by using a subpar weather (Hail is flat-out bad competitively in Gen 6 [since we're talking about them being banned in Gen 6 and the Gen 7 meta isn't established yet]), or you have to resort to using a subpar ability (Sand Veil over the vastly superior Poison Heal on Gliscor or Rough Skin on Garchomp). The small amount of advantage you gain by the evasion boost is not worth the fact that you have to make your team noticeably worse in order to use these strategies.

Others have covered this correctly in this thread already, but I wanted to post to further emphasize that Smogon's bans and clauses are very logical if we want to promote a skill-based healthy metagame.
(11-21-2016, 05:21 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Oh, thanks for the hint, @Dragonstrike... It's more than gladly taken in consideration. The Multi is indeed the only one I'd didn't manage to complete yet. Well, I need to convince my default ever-lazy not-AI battle partner to give it a few more tries... ._.

Evasion can be good for the subway. If you're looking for teams though, try hereĀ http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bla...ds.102593/ . There are some crazy win streaks you can get...

As for the evasion discussion, others have said it before and they are right. Evasion comes down to who has the best luck, rather than the best skill, which IMO and in many other's opinions isn't very fun. Snow cloak and Sand Veil aren't consistent enough to warrent a ban for now, but in gen 5 sure.