Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPGs and Genre Exploration
Ohhh, what a great webpage that is.

I especially enjoy the (so far only two, sob) themes involving Dragons and the Alchemist's lab.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
RPG Tools: A Medieval City Map Generator For The Lazy GM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, the craziest inspirations just stick in the mind. Sometimes, it's watching a show or reading a book or two. Very often, it's just crazy ideas bubbling to the surface or a GM going stir crazy. Sometimes, it's exposure to a new system. I've had a somewhat insane brainwave I'm likely going to stew on for a bit.

Either way, Free RPG Day 2017 is coming up on June 17th. Most of the stuff this year is by indie publishers, but if you're interested and you've got a local hobby game store, it might be worth finding out if they're running anything on the day itself. 

More F2F gaming time honestly doesn't hurt.
Question, have you heard of City of Mist? I took a look and it seems like a really cool way to do things that makes story sense on each die roll and doesn't require keeping track of tons of numbers.
"To the extent that authority depends on the ignorance of the governed, good writing will always be subversive."
(06-03-2017, 10:45 AM)Polaris Wrote: Question, have you heard of City of Mist? I took a look and it seems like a really cool way to do things that makes story sense on each die roll and doesn't require keeping track of tons of numbers.

I actually have not. I'm not sure if it even hit regular distribution channels, but it has a quickstart which I'm now interested in reading.

Nice.
I really liked the idea of "look through your character sheet, add all the positive and negative things about your character that relate to what you're trying to do and then anything else (i.e. are they drunk) and add that to the dice roll." Instead of having exact values, you just ask "is my character good with a gun? Is the gun good?" etc. Seems like the rules do a pretty good job getting out of the way of the story.
"To the extent that authority depends on the ignorance of the governed, good writing will always be subversive."
(06-03-2017, 08:17 PM)Polaris Wrote: I really liked the idea of "look through your character sheet, add all the positive and negative things about your character that relate to what you're trying to do and then anything else (i.e. are they drunk) and add that to the dice roll." Instead of having exact values, you just ask "is my character good with a gun? Is the gun good?" etc. Seems like the rules do a pretty good job getting out of the way of the story.

FFG's Star Wars does something similar, which I like. Not fond of their propriety dice system but between it and the D6 system, I think that's pretty much Star Wars sewn up as a genre.

+ve and -ve dice pool systems are fun. I think they work well for forum games as well. City of Mist looks interesting on a first pass, but I'll openly admit Supers is not my genre of proficiency.

(06-03-2017, 10:45 AM)Polaris Wrote: Question, have you heard of City of Mist? I took a look and it seems like a really cool way to do things that makes story sense on each die roll and doesn't require keeping track of tons of numbers.

On a second pass. Feels like The Big-O. I can actually work with that.
Not entirely sure if I'm a fan of of the Apocalypse World Engine though. Maybe it's habit (and I am a creature of habit), but I do like some crunch to my mechanics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Addressing the NENAD at the table: Building Better Characters To Avoid Party Conflict

https://www.rpg.net/columns/building/building1.phtml
https://www.rpg.net/columns/building/building2.phtml