Pokemon Uranium

Full Version: [Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so the book isn't exactly very clear on whether Evasions can be performed multiple times per Round.

It does, however, clearly say that the Clash action can be used multiple times per Round.

Clash requires the use of a Move, though, which means you can't use that specific move again during the same Round (which is a rule definitely listed in the book)

Interestingly, I also found a noteworthy restriction on clashing: Support moves (obviously), moves that ignore defenses, and moves that do a set amount of damage cannot be Clashed.  But that's besides the point.

------------------------------------------

I think the key wording here in the book is that Moves can only be used once per Round, and Evades are a maneuver, not a Move.

Given the nature of Evades, Strikes, Knockdowns, Grapples, etc. all being basic maneuvers that every character can do, I'm inclined to say that they can all be used multiple times per Round.

Particularly since Strikes and Knockdowns are basically a character's only means of damaging self defense if they get dragged into a battle and have no more moves left to use .  Mostly looking at human characters in this instance.  If they were limited to using only Strike and Knockdown once per Round, they'd only have 2 damaging attacks per Round to use, period.

That, and if a human character gets targeted by a pokemon's attack, I think you'd be inclined to get out of the way of it if you can, and probably do so more than once if necessary.
(06-12-2019, 05:47 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]

...I consider this a bad ruling for Pokemon (Not Humans), as this creates a rather nasty dynamic when it comes to DEX vs any other Attribute Pokemon. With the 'No Spam' Rule re-implemented, The '4 Move Limit' that League Battles have, the Action Cost being flat instead of incremental, and No Healing allowed in League Battles for the Trainer, a High DEX Pokemon can just repeatidly use Evade to easily Dodge out of a opponent's first 2-3 Attacks, then get to attack them with complete impunity while the opponent can do nothing. If you can Spam Evade, Strike, and/or Knockdown and they don't count towards the 4 Move Limit, then what's stopping anybody from using it to replicate the Move Spam that is in Iron's Game?

If they do count towards it, then even in that case an DEX Opponent can effectively get twice or more Actions with their 4 Moves vs their foe, depending on how many attacks the foe used. For example, if a target has 2 Damage Moves, and 2 Support for the target, and Evasive foe with the same amount of Damaging Moves + Evasion and Random, then the Evasive Foe can Dodge Twice (Which it's liable to do successfully, unless the target is also DEX/Evasive Focused), then get to use its Attacks. Foe effectively and actually gets twice the Actions as a target due to Evasion Spam, while the target can only get two unless those Support Moves can constantly be useful (Which they usually can't be), and that disparity only increases from their the more Moves the foe has avaliable. I think you can see how ruinous getting effectively twice Actions for minimum cost in a No Spam 4 Move Limit Battle, as a quick enough foe can effectively be not only invincible, but an utter bane to anything's existence unless said existence is fast/faster than they are to keep up if they can just Evade and use up a target's alotted attacks for a Round, then casually pick them apart or set up themselves.

Such has been demonstrated with Weavile vs Stymph, and I'm frankly surprised she survived that Round, as the odds HEAVILY favored her to be chumped , but Dice Luck saved me there, thankfully.

That's why I think that Maneuvers for Pokemon should be hard limited to one under the No Spam policy, as its (No Spam) has a highly unfavorable interaction with the 4 Move Limit and the dynamic I outlined above in League Battles, and even Wild Battles to a lesser extent. Humans don't have to fall under it, as I think they can be afforded certain privileges/exemptions from the No Spam system, since they can't be good combatants unless you give players Weapons that can deal damage on par with Pokemon Moves and their inherent humanity could allow them to KNOW how to bypass such limitations. 

If you disagree, then at the very least make it so that Evasion and Maneuver Spam have an HIGH cost to them after the first time they are used (Like + 2/3/4 for each Evasion after the first, making it so that can't entirely avoid ALL the Damage after the first Evade, or Spamming Evade lowers the Attacking/Support Move you/the foe can use by 1 in a Round each time they're used [< -I like this limitation the best] ) AND make them count towards the 4 Move/Maneuver Limit (Except maybe in the 1 for 1 Trade Limitation's case), as otherwise it'll make DEX/Evade Class Pokemon an utter NIGHTMARE to deal with unless you have a specific counter class against such cheese.

Finally, I'd say that regardless of the final fate of this ruling, since it happened DURING Ran's Gym Match, it should not be used for it, as that constitutes as a difficultly I could in no way account for until after the fact. And in an already tougher than usual Gym Fight, that little added difficulty could be severely costly.
I was considering things along those lines, to be honest.  No need to be so obviously prickly about this, Windos.  I wouldn't have thrown this kind of challenge at you if I didn't think you could overcome it.  You definitely have the tools to beat this Weavile, and Candice doesn't use very many pokemon that focus on Evasion.  And those of her pokemon that do are a bit frailer than the rest.

No foe is completely invincible. Not in this game. Sure, some things are meant to be extra challenging, and some things might be an outright bad idea to challenge without proper preparation first, but everything should be beatable in theory. Otherwise I'm gonna have to figure out how to rescale the difficulty of some of the challenges.
(06-12-2019, 08:18 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]I was considering things along those lines, to be honest.  No need to be so obviously prickly about this, Windos.  I wouldn't have thrown this kind of challenge at you if I didn't think you could overcome it.  You definitely have the tools to beat this Weavile, and Candice doesn't use very many pokemon that focus on Evasion.  And those of her pokemon that do are a bit frailer than the rest.

No foe is completely invincible.  Not in this game.  Sure, some things are meant to be extra challenging, and some things might be an outright bad idea to challenge without proper preparation first, but everything should be beatable in theory.  Otherwise I'm gonna have to figure out how to rescale the difficulty of some of the challenges.

I am, because it can and will impact my gameplay, now and the future. I understand you don't give me impossible challenges (or anyone else, for that matter), but that doesn't guarantee that I'll actually succeed your expectations. I got the tools, and I can make a good plan, but whether they'll work is down to probability and what options the enemy itself has in the end if they'll work or not. And the odds are literally in Weavile's favor, since he has a higher dice count to play with, the Initiative to back them up, and quite a lot of attacks with at least one of them undetermined.

I presume no exceptions or reconsideration will be accepted at this point in time?
(06-12-2019, 09:12 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]I am, because it can and will impact my gameplay, now and the future. I understand you don't give me impossible challenges (or anyone else, for that matter), but that doesn't guarantee that I'll actually succeed your expectations. I got the tools, and I can make a good plan, but whether they'll work is down to probability and what options the enemy itself has in the end if they'll work or not. And the odds are literally in Weavile's favor, since he has a higher dice count to play with, the Initiative to back them up, and quite a lot of attacks with at least one of them undetermined.

I presume no exceptions or reconsideration will be accepted at this point in time?

Weavile's initiative roll is actually quite terrible given some of your other options, particularly while you still have 1 Round of Tailwind left.  Candice isn't allowed to switch so she can get a better roll, either.  She's quite literally stuck with what she's got at the moment. This battle is actually still in your favor, believe it or not.

At this current time, no.  If you want a suggestion on how to handle Weavile, though, I'll be willing to offer some advice.
(06-12-2019, 09:23 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2019, 09:12 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]I am, because it can and will impact my gameplay, now and the future. I understand you don't give me impossible challenges (or anyone else, for that matter), but that doesn't guarantee that I'll actually succeed your expectations. I got the tools, and I can make a good plan, but whether they'll work is down to probability and what options the enemy itself has in the end if they'll work or not. And the odds are literally in Weavile's favor, since he has a higher dice count to play with, the Initiative to back them up, and quite a lot of attacks with at least one of them undetermined.

Weavile's initiative roll is actually quite terrible given some of your other options, particularly while you still have 1 Round of Tailwind left.  Candice isn't allowed to switch so she can get a better roll, either.  She's quite literally stuck with what she's got at the moment.  This battle is actually still in your favor, believe it or not.

At this current time, no.  If you want a suggestion on how to handle Weavile, though, I'll be willing to offer some advice.

Very well, and no. I'll figure this out myself.
(06-12-2019, 09:28 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]Very well, and no. I'll figure this out myself.

Fair enough.  Interested to see what you come up with.
Just waiting on how you're going to handle the Sneasel Gang before I can continue the encounter with Minyan, .
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh I hope that Minyan's owner hasn't suffered severe hypothermia yet.
Dragonstrike, I'll be heading out on an errand for a bit, so I won't be posting for about half an hour to an hour. Sorry, but responsibilities call!