Pokemon Uranium

Full Version: [Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-01-2019, 04:07 PM)Spiritmon Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about it, what is the nature of Ralts, Cleffa and Heracross?

Nature is mostly a roleplay thing and isn't an outright requirement on the character sheet.  However, if you want to use them...

I'll find one that fits Heracross.  Do you want me to roll for Ralts and Cleffa, or should one of us pick?
(07-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]...Brigid switching to White Smoke if and only if Drought would not work inside Snowpoint Temple (If that be the case, I'd be severely disappointed that realism had reared its ugly head here, but I'll live with it).

Kogeki failed to mention it previously, but I'll do ya a solid and say this: Normally, certain weathers don't work indoors/in caves.  However, during Kogeki's previous (brief) trip to Mt. Coronet, the weather somehow became Sunny after Nagi's Hidden Power was used.

So while there's an element of realism, there's also an element of mystery.  Whether it'll work in Snowpoint Temple as well is currently a bit of an unknown IC.
Streaming LoZ: BotW with my friends, and maybe some Dark Souls later, so no more updates from me for today since I've got prior obligations to attend to.
(07-01-2019, 05:20 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]...Brigid switching to White Smoke if and only if Drought would not work inside Snowpoint Temple (If that be the case, I'd be severely disappointed that realism had reared its ugly head here, but I'll live with it).

Kogeki failed to mention it previously, but I'll do ya a solid and say this: Normally, certain weathers don't work indoors/in caves.  However, during Kogeki's previous (brief) trip to Mt. Coronet, the weather somehow became Sunny after Nagi's Hidden Power was used.

So while there's an element of realism, there's also an element of mystery.  Whether it'll work in Snowpoint Temple as well is currently a bit of an unknown IC.

I don't like the fact that Weathers are realism based (And very disappointed you went this route, mate) or you're essentially forcing me to make a blind decision instead of outright saying Drought will work or not in the Temple, but as you quoted me saying, I'll live with it. 

Since you specifically said Abilities had to be decided before the first Encounter was started, but Ran is currently outside the Temple and therefore has not yet started his First Encounter, he'll also has them if Weather like Harsh Sunlight works inside the ancient place. If he says no or doesn't know, then Brigid's Ability will be White Smoke, as I rather have an Ability that I know will work all the time than gamble with one that won't.

This is one of the big reasons why I don't like more realistic interpretations of Game Moves/Mechanics that didn't have them in the first place: they imposed arbitrary restrictions that make certain Moves/Abilities outright useless, which ain't fun to play around or with. If it's for the shake of balance I can abide by restrictions if they're both necessary and reasonable, but otherwise I prefer a more 'laissez faire' approach to mechanics (IE: Just letting things work, regardless if it would make logical sense or not).It logic/realism is to be used with game mechanics, it should be either be used to make things better, or as a sorta challenge/consideration to deal with that does not outright prevent you from using said mechanics (Like Earthquake in a cave: you can still use it, but it's not a terribly good idea unless you're desperate). Preventing most Weather from working outright indoors.....I don't really consider that a challenge so much as an annoyance.
I completely forget that info. Aspido was also capable of summon Rain Dance in the battle against Primal Rampardos.
(07-01-2019, 05:50 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]

Think about the context a little instead of complaining about it, please.  Just because I'm implementing realism, it doesn't mean I can't have unrealistic mechanics that border on the supernatural.
(07-01-2019, 06:16 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]Think about the context a little instead of complaining about it, please.  Just because I'm implementing realism, it doesn't mean I can't have unrealistic mechanics that border on the supernatural.

You have a point, but I still reserve the right to speak up about the design choices you made. If I agree with something, I'll let you know and why, but the same is true if I disagree with something. If I refuse to do the later, then stuff that negatively impacts my experience will not be addressed and brought to your attention, which means I suffer in silence and have a poorer time overall. This is your game, so you have the right to do as you wish with it, but if I find something you done to be disagreeable, I will let you know about it straight up without dancing around how I word my response. 

Be that as it may, I won't complain about your approach to Weather anymore. I've spoken my piece about it, and like I said I will live with it. I'll also point out that I was not object to realism be used in general for the entire game, but rather to it being used to arbitrarily (in my opinion) restrict Moves and Abilities. The Pokemon World is inherently a blend of realistic and unrealistic elements, so asking it to be divorced from realism in your campaign is entirely unreasonable and stupid, and that was not what I was suggesting with my complaints.
If we going to some fantasy explanation for Pokemon capable change the weather:
Rain dance: Ability to decrease the Temperature of a certain place in manipulate the water until it condensates.
Sunny day: Increase the temperature until a point of make light and heat.
Sandstorm: Manipulate dust and sand around the place to create a sandstorm. Or destroy rocks and use dust to make same effect.

Pokemon is fantasy. Don't need to be realistic.
(07-01-2019, 04:10 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2019, 04:07 PM)Spiritmon Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about it, what is the nature of Ralts, Cleffa and Heracross?

Nature is mostly a roleplay thing and isn't an outright requirement on the character sheet.  However, if you want to use them...

I'll find one that fits Heracross.  Do you want me to roll for Ralts and Cleffa, or should one of us pick?

Roll the dice. Surprise me and yourself. It's even more funny. Let the dice decide fate.
(07-01-2019, 07:14 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: [ -> ]You have a point, but I still reserve the right to speak up about the design choices you made. If I agree with something, I'll let you know and why, but the same is true if I disagree with something. If I refuse to do the later, then stuff that negatively impacts my experience will not be addressed and brought to your attention, which means I suffer in silence and have a poorer time overall. This is your game, so you have the right to do as you wish with it, but if I find something you done to be disagreeable, I will let you know about it straight up without dancing around how I word my response. 

Be that as it may, I won't complain about your approach to Weather anymore. I've spoken my piece about it, and like I said I will live with it. I'll also point out that I was not object to realism be used in general for the entire game, but rather to it being used to arbitrarily (in my opinion) restrict Moves and Abilities. The Pokemon World is inherently a blend of realistic and unrealistic elements, so asking it to be divorced from realism in your campaign is entirely unreasonable and stupid, and that was not what I was suggesting with my complaints.

I'm not exactly in a position to say you shouldn't.  Otherwise, I'd be quite the hypocrite, now, wouldn't I?

Yeah, I mostly stated that because I knew already what your stance on the weather thing is already.  And yes, I'd very much appreciate it if the complaints were kept to a minimum, at least as far as that specific topic is concerned.  Mostly because you don't know the exact extent and nature of how I'm handling it quite yet (I promise it'll (hopefully) be clearer when we get to my main game.)

IC, everyone knows weather doesn't necessarily work in unfavorable conditions.  But there's also room for strange things to happen that normally wouldn't if the conditions are suited for such things (Randolph's already seen the connection, too), given the exact nature of the game I've set up, and it's something I've demonstrated in Kogeki's backstory already.  Make of that what you will, as that's really the most I can say without giving away the answer outright.

--------------------------------------

Now, for clarification purposes...is Randolph going to spend his first encounter looking for parts for the mechanical prosthetic? The neuro sensors in particular would definitely take an encounter to look for since they're rare items.

Or is Randolph going straight to the Snowpoint Temple (bringing along whoever else wishes to come) after leaving the Center? Depending on what the rest of the group might want to do, putting that off might be something to consider.