Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Meta Thread] Pokerole Mystery Dungeon: Primal Shadows
(04-06-2020, 04:51 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: I see someone's been keeping an eye on the recently posted threads.  *chuckle*

Whatcha think of my idea for a 'main menu'?

Count me among that number, as I was probably the third or fourth person that viewed it, and the first one to rate it too!

Like the MM myself! It's a nice touch that adds a lot of flavor and fun to your game, and it brings pleasent/unpleasant memories of all the times I stared at that screen after loading/reloading a save. Hopefully I'll be seeing it a lot as the game goes on!

As for the mods you made for your campaign currently, I love them all, especially the Rapid Spin and Howl ones!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(04-06-2020, 05:17 PM)Spiritmon Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 05:11 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 05:06 PM)Spiritmon Wrote: Well, I never play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PMD) before, so sorry if some details might escape me alright? 

I highly recommend giving them a shot eventually.  They're great games and also my favorite series in the franchise Smile

I might try find a Rom emulator to play the games. Right now, I cant buy the games (yet). Any PMD game you reccomend me play first?

I recommend PMD: Explorers of Sky / Time / Darkness. The story's great, the basic gameplay is solid, the side mechanics like the IQ System and Treasures are excellent, the redesigned mechanics for the Moves in the game are generally fun and creative, and with over a dozen different Starters and Partners to choose from you can concievably have a completely different experience gameplay wise every time you start from the top. It's pretty much the best game I've played in the series imo, so I don't think you can find a better place to dive on into the games than one of them.

E.o.S also adds a bunch of Side Stories that explore the more memorable and important characters in the games, adds brand new Pokemon to play as (like Shinx and Rilou for Male Players, and Vulpix for Female Players for example), and a whole lot of quality of life additions, such as Spinda's Cafe and revising Crogunk's Treasure 'Shop' . However, it also removes Meowth and Munchlax as Starter options that E.o.D/T had , made some less exciting changes to some of the Treasures (Eevee's Tier 3 is the most prominent one changed) , and the new Wonder Mail S system is a bit of a pain to work with, so if you want to play as them you got no other choice than to play the less improved versions of the game, unless you can find a modding tool that can 'fix' those revisions.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

(04-06-2020, 06:39 PM)Lord Windos Wrote:

Oh now I like it! So there is Gen 4 options then! Now I more excited to dive into this three games! Might start in PMD Explorers of Sky then since you talk so much well about it. 

I might need to find a DS Emulator and try to dowload the game later. Any of you guys know a site with DS emulator to dowload without to much danger of get a virus in my computer?
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
Explorers of Sky is generally considered the definitive version of PMD2, as well as the best entry in the series as of the time of this post's writing.  If you're going to play Explorers, it's usually recommended that you play Explorers of Sky.

Your other main choice if you're going to go the emulation route is Red/Blue Rescue Team, the first game in the series.  It's not as refined as PMD2 is, but it's still a damn good game even if it is a little clunky and much more difficult for a whole grouping of starter pokemon.  There are a lot of things unique to it that people look back at fondly (such as Friend Areas), but it's definitely rough around the edges (like many first attempts at creating a new kind of formula).

Gates to Infinity (PMD3) and Super Mystery Dungeon (PMD4) are both 3DS games, and thus more difficult to emulate.  They're also generally not considered as good as Explorers for varying reasons (but again, they're still pretty dang good games imho).  Like Rescue Team, they also have some interesting gimmicks with their own appeal (Building Paradise in Gates, and the Connection Orb in Super).

Moral of the Story: every game ends up being compared to Explorers (specifically Explorers of Sky).
(04-06-2020, 07:04 PM)Spiritmon Wrote: I might need to find a DS Emulator and try to dowload the game later. Any of you guys know a site with DS emulator to dowload without to much danger of get a virus in my computer?

I've sent you a PM on Discord about that.
There's also the remake of PMD R&B , but if you don't have a Nintendo Switch you're out of lucking playing that game, as I don't think the internet techies have rigged an emulator for it yet. Can't speak about it for myself for reasons that need not be reinterated, but I've heard its pretty good, and the new system they replaced IQ Skill in it is pretty neat from what I've seen.

(04-06-2020, 08:12 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: There's also the remake of PMD R&B , but if you don't have a Nintendo Switch you're out of lucking playing that game, as I don't think the internet techies have rigged an emulator for it yet. Can't speak about it for myself for reasons that need not be reinterated, but I've heard its pretty good, and the new system they replaced IQ Skill in it is pretty neat from what I've seen.

RT DX is mostly the same game regardless (which means yes, it's just as good as the original).  Main difference is a few mechanics.

The Rare Qualities actually reminded me a little of our Surprises, honestly.
For those wondering, Player #4 hasn't quite finished their preparations for the game yet.  They plan to finish the prep work today, though, so I've gone ahead and put up the introductory post in the Game Thread!  Have at it! Just don't get too carried away. Don't want to leave the new player behind since they aren't here yet.
They made the Remake much easier than the original RescueTeam Blue/Red, or so I feel - like, free healing before Bosses? Nope, that has been introduced in Explorers, before that you have to heal yourself or get owned. Recruiting in Purity Forest? Nope, you're all alone. Western Cave lost a lot of floors. I've got quite mixed feelings about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll note down the new houserules - after I responded to the Introduction thread. ^^
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(04-07-2020, 03:48 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: They made the Remake much easier than the original RescueTeam Blue/Red, or so I feel - like, free healing before Bosses? Nope, that has been introduced in Explorers, before that you have to heal yourself or get owned. Recruiting in Purity Forest? Nope, you're all alone. Western Cave lost a lot of floors. I've got quite mixed feelings about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some things definitely make it easier, yes.  If there's one thing I can say is harder, though, it's the post game boss fights (provided you don't use orbs).  Those can actually get pretty tooth and nail.