Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's breathe some life into this section! Metalynx Discussion
The title says everything, I suppose hahah. Not doing any guides or stuff like that, I've been away from Pokémon for far too long to do that. But I was doing a new playthrough, starting with Metalynx this time, and I began thinking that Metalynx could be way more broken than we thought. I remember that, back there, we used to talk about how broken Nucleon and M Inflagetah were, but I think we may have let this little cat pass. This thing is scary!

I say that because I got really curious about it, and went to do some math. Mega Metalynx is, at least theoretically, capable of killing everything in his path without boosting - all he needs is some pointed stones floating in the air around his foes' team. With Stealth Rock set, Metalynx can almost kill any Fire-type that might switch in, leaving them with very low health just by hitting them with a Leaf Blade (that is, when Stealth Rock is up). I'm not even considering the possibility of a EQ, which would be much more catastrophic to the enemy's Fire-type mons. Besides, the other threats, Fighting-type mons, can't afford to take a neutral hit from Metalynx, because that hurts a lot as well. Actually, the only mon I found (I may have overlooked many other mons, btw) that could reliably switch into Leaf Blade is Coatlith, and even though that Coatlith has to watch out for a Meteor Mash. And we all now that Metalynx has enough coverage to deal with almost everything in the game, or at least most of the mons that we believe would shape the meta. 

Now imagine this monster paired with, let's say, a Syrentide. That core would have the potential to be unstoppable! Metalynx can deal with most of his own counters already, but if he had a partner like Syrentide to help him he would reach a whole new level. I hope one day when the online is fixed, we get to see something like that. Iirc, Metalynx already got first place in the usage-based tier that Narshyl made. That could be some testament to that cat's power, although many could be the reasons for his placement. Anyway, I do believe that thing might prove to be a real monster in the future to come! 

What do you guys think?
The Orchynx-line is a great line of Fakemon in design and idea, but what you're saying about the strength of its Leaf Blade... it adds a little more awesomeness. Go, lil' big Grasscat!
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
Alright, let's do some calcs, then.  Let's see...for fun, I'm just going to list every single Fire type (and Seikamater cuz of Elementalist)

Alright, now let's hit them all with various moves while Stealth Rock is up.  I'll assume this is at Level 100 and our Metalynx has 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe with an Adamant nature.  Moveset is going to be Leaf Blade, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Swords Dance (this is the set from Jabuloso's Metalynx guide from ages ago).  For the defending pokemon, I'm going to assume they have speedy offensive sets for all of them except Antarki (248 HP/252 Def/8 Sp Def), Inflagetah, M-Inflagetah, Beliaddon, and Seikamater (Latter four will have 248 HP/252 Offensive Stat/8 Defense).  None of them will be holding any items in these examples (with the exception of mega stones)

Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash

Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash both have 90 power, so I'll categorize the calcs into neutral, 2x resistance, and 4x resistance for those moves.

Earthquake

I'll do something similar for EQ, too.  SE EQ, Resisted EQ, and Neutral EQ.  Pajay lucks out here, not being weak to any of Metalynx's moves at all.

Now, this is all just from M-Metalynx's side of the equation.  This isn't factoring in how fast and powerful its opponents are.  Still interesting data to look at, though.
Quote:Alright, let's do some calcs, then.  Let's see...for fun, I'm just going to list every single Fire type (and Seikamater cuz of Elementalist)

Alright, now let's hit them all with various moves while Stealth Rock is up.  I'll assume this is at Level 100 and our Metalynx has 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe with an Adamant nature.  Moveset is going to be Leaf Blade, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Swords Dance (this is the set from Jabuloso's Metalynx guide from ages ago).  For the defending pokemon, I'm going to assume they have speedy offensive sets for all of them except Antarki (248 HP/252 Def/8 Sp Def), Inflagetah, M-Inflagetah, Beliaddon, and Seikamater (Latter four will have 248 HP/252 Offensive Stat/8 Defense).  None of them will be holding any items in these examples (with the exception of mega stones)

Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash

Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash both have 90 power, so I'll categorize the calcs into neutral, 2x resistance, and 4x resistance for those moves.

Earthquake

I'll do something similar for EQ, too.  SE EQ, Resisted EQ, and Neutral EQ.  Pajay lucks out here, not being weak to any of Metalynx's moves at all.

Now, this is all just from M-Metalynx's side of the equation.  This isn't factoring in how fast and powerful its opponents are.  Still interesting data to look at, though.

Really interesting data! At least to me, it demonstrates how threathening the green cat can be. I'm actually surprised to see that even those mons that resist his moves (be it 2x or 4x) still have to fear switching in. With just 3 moves, Mega Metalynx has enough coverage to deal with everything and even his own counters, although you'd have to rely in some predicts to do it. But still, that mon is insanely strong. He applies so much pressure in the opponent to a point that your enemy has to think a lot and outsmart you everytime. Just one mistake when switching in a mon and you might be dead.

Quote:The Orchynx-line is a great line of Fakemon in design and idea, but what you're saying about the strength of its Leaf Blade... it adds a little more awesomeness. Go, lil' big Grasscat!

I love it, seriously. First time I played Uranium I started with Raptorch because I always go with the Fire starter, but I always regretted not picking Metalynx. I fell in love with everything in this mon, for sure my favorite Fakemon ever!
(04-03-2018, 12:33 PM)Jabuloso Wrote: Really interesting data! At least to me, it demonstrates how threathening the green cat can be. I'm actually surprised to see that even those mons that resist his moves (be it 2x or 4x) still have to fear switch in. With just 3 moves, Mega Metalynx have enough coverage to deal with everything and even his own counters, although you'd have to rely in some predicts to do it. But still, that mon is insanely strong. He applies so much pressure in the opponent to a point that your enemy has to think a lot and outsmart you everytime. Just one mistake when switching in a mon and you might be dead. 

Yeah, gotta be careful if you're switching into an offensive M-Metalynx.  140 Atk is a LOT.  Switch in on the right moves though, and Metalynx is gonna take a huge chunk of damage.  Chimaconda only fears EQ, for example.  Beliaddon is such a beast, it only partially fears EQ, with or without Intimidate.  Seikamater doesn't care about anything except a Meteor Mash.

Poor Firoke and Pajay get the short end of the stick since they're 4x weak to Rock. All the other 4x resists can switch in on those resistances just fine. Stealth Rock really ruins the fire bird/bug's day.

Let's also keep in mind that only one of these pokemon I just listed was fully invested in Physical Defense, though.  Metalynx is going to have a hard time against dedicated physical walls that can hit back if it doesn't have a Swords Dance up.  Or itself.

VS Offensive M-Metalynx: 252+ Atk M-Metalynx Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def M-Metalynx: 84-99 (27 - 31.8%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

VS Physical Tank M-Metalynx: 252+ Atk M-Metalynx Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def M-Metalynx: 84-99 (22.5 - 26.5%) -- 96.4% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Metalynx is also not super fast, so that's the other thing to keep in mind.
Indeed. Metalynx is able to tank Critical with his normal ability and resist a few fires attacks with his Mega Ability. And that data of Dragonstrike is quite useful to have a idea about how much powerfull is that pokemon.
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
That being said, I bring the discussion I wanted in the first place: do you guys think Metalynx could be a Pokémon that would dominate the Uranium future meta? I mean, I can definitely see him being banned. Mega Metalynx + Syrentide might be an even better core than we imagine, and we just saw how powerful Metalynx alone is. You do have counter play to it, but everything Metalynx needs is a good predict - and a predict of yours can be way more disastrous to the opponent than the opposite, since with the right mons supporting the cat you can make up for a wrong choice of move, while your opponent most of times are going to be screwed by a wrong choice of switch in. Metalynx power is so insane that, as Dragonstrike just noted, the best mon to fight it might actually be another Metalynx!

I definitely see Metalynx as one of, if not the strongest mon in the current game. But I might have been away from Pokémon for a really long time, so I could be wrong and my judgement could even be a little biased because of my love for Metalynx, so I want to hear from you guys. What do you think about that?
(04-03-2018, 01:14 PM)Jabuloso Wrote: That being said, I bring the discussion I wanted in the first place: do you guys think Metalynx could be a Pokémon that would dominate the Uranium future meta? I mean, I can definitely see him being banned. Mega Metalynx + Syrentide might be an even better core than we imagine, and we just saw how powerful Metalynx alone is. You do have counter play to it, but everything Metalynx needs is a good predict - and a predict of yours can be way more disastrous to the opponent than the opposite, since with the right mons supporting the cat you can make up for a wrong choice of move, while your opponent most of times are going to be screwed by a wrong choice of switch in. Metalynx power is so insane that, as Dragonstrike just noted, the best mon to fight it might actually be another Metalynx!

I definitely see Metalynx as one of, if not the strongest mon in the current game. But I might have been away from Pokémon for a really long time, so I could be wrong and my judgement could even be a little biased because of my love for Metalynx, so I want to hear from you guys. What do you think about that?

It's definitely up there among the titans of Uranium's meta (Inflagetah with its insanely powerful +2 priority moves, M-Archilles with its Drought backed firepower, Yatagaryu with Stormbringer Thunders, M-Syrentide with her titanic defenses, M-Electruxo with its superpowered Water and accurate Thunders, Nucleon and Urayne nuking everything, Raffiti emulating Urayne's destructive power, Lanthan with its Sheer Force boosted might.  The one thing they all have in common is they need minimal setup to come in and start trashing things).  

Metalynx's speed and lack of reliable recovery (outside of Synthesis) is its biggest downfall, though.  If it has to switch in and out a lot, all the chip damage is going to wear it down quickly.  Particularly if Stealth Rock and/or Spikes are set up, and there's a Thunderstorm active.

Is it powerful?  Yes.  Is it something we need to worry about right this minute?  No, there are other more powerful pokemon that need to be taken care of first.  Once those ones are gone, though, who knows if M-Metalynx will follow...

If it isn't abundantly clear by now, Uranium's fakemons aren't exactly the most balanced things in the world.
Quote:If it isn't abundantly clear by now, Uranium's fakemons aren't exactly the most balanced things in the world.

They are indeed. I like it tho. It is unique. Where else would you find a Fire-type with 135 Sp. Attack and Drought or a Water-type with the same amount of Sp. Attack and Drizzle? Uranium is amazing. That's why I keep coming back here from time to time, hoping to see how the competitive scene is doing. I hope the online play is fixed soon, so we can see how those insane Fakemons will do in real battles.
(04-03-2018, 04:52 PM)Jabuloso Wrote:
Quote:If it isn't abundantly clear by now, Uranium's fakemons aren't exactly the most balanced things in the world.

They are indeed. I like it tho. It is unique. Where else would you find a Fire-type with 135 Sp. Attack and Drought or a Water-type with the same amount of Sp. Attack and Drizzle? Uranium is amazing. That's why I keep coming back here from time to time, hoping to see how the competitive scene is doing. I hope the online play is fixed soon, so we can see how those insane Fakemons will do in real battles.

Megazard Y says 'hi'.  159 Sp. Atk with Drought.  Has nothing on M-Archilles's raw speed, though, which is one reason why it'd probably be soooo much more common than 'zard in the main series games if it existed there (the other being the lack of a huge Stealth Rock weakness).  100 speed is a lot easier to outpace than 155.

Primal Groudon/Kyogre also have 180 in their respective offense and a weather ability that summons an even stronger form of sun/rain. (though they ARE legendaries, to be fair). Lanthan is fairly easy to compare to them in terms of raw strength.

Here's another comparison for ya: Yatagaryu to Tapu Koko.  Koko is 10 points faster, but Yata has 25 more Sp. Atk.  And here's a scary thought: Thunderstorm stacks with Electric Terrain in theory, since one is a weather and the other is a Terrain.  Two 50% boosts to the power of Electric moves, Thunder will never miss, and grounded pokemon can't be put to sleep. Sound fun yet?

I think the main difference is that most of Uranium's 'mons aren't super amazing tanks/walls for the most part, so hyper offense-like strategies tend to be really effective/the most common strategie.

I do think the fakemon ideas are really creative, and they're definitely some of my favorite fakemon designs to date.  The competitive meta just isn't very well balanced because of the 'small' number of pokemon. I do hope that online becomes more stable soon(ish). It'd be great to put some of my ideas into practice and see how they do.