Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OHKO Moves
I played through the Championship Tournament several times over before actually beating it. But there was this one little snot-faced alpico that had Sheer Cold in its arsenal. And I swear, every time it used it, Sheer Cold would hit and then it'd take down my mega metalynx and I have to gamble on my baariette hitting the stupid bear-rabbit hard enough to knock it out. I'm not sure if the anderind that accompanied it had Fissure, but it had a more proportionate accuracy rate to the actual OHKO moves.

One of my party members is a glavinug (I know, horrible choice, but I like the animal it's based off of). And my moveset for him was Recover, Hydro Pump, Dazzling Gleam, and Sheer Cold. I gave him a wide lens to boost the accuracy of Hydro Pump and Sheer Cold. Every time I used Sheer Cold, it never hit. Except maybe once. Both the alpico and my glavinug used Sheer Cold about the same amount of times, but more often than not, the alpico would hit its target and every single time except once or twice my glavinug never hit his target.

Suffice to say, are OHKO moves somehow tweaked in the AI's favor or is it just really, really, really poor luck on my part?
Chickens are awesome.
Not really sure about how the AI handles moves mate, but far as I know the hit chance for move is the same across both the player and the game engine itself, so that just means either your game is glitched in some way that grants the AI Super Accurate OHKO moves (Bleh!), or you ARE that unlucky.....
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
It's also worth mentioning that OHKO moves get 1 more point of accuracy for every level higher than the opponent you are.  Could also be a factor, albeit (probably) a minor one.  Of course, by the time those moves have enough natural accuracy to hit semi-reliably, you can probably OHKO your opponent with any neutral hit anyways. *shrug*

I have also noticed that the game's RNG can seem to be a bit weird at times, but I don't think there's much that can be done about that.
Sometimes it just happens. I had Thunder miss twelve times in a row once.
"To the extent that authority depends on the ignorance of the governed, good writing will always be subversive."
Assuming OHKO moves work the same way as canon Pokemon games:
OHKO moves automatically fail if the target has a higher level than the user. Their accuracy starts at 30% and increases by 1% for each level the user is above the target. Accuracy and evasion stats no longer influence the move's accuracy, including modifiers from items such as Wide Lens or Abilities such as Compound Eyes. Effects that allow moves to always hit (such as No Guard or Lock-On) still work on OHKO moves.

In Generation VII, the accuracy of Sheer Cold is lowered if the user is not an Ice-type Pokémon. In addition, all OHKO moves now display their accuracy as 30% instead of —; the working accuracy is still calculated by the same formula, however.

(quote from bulbapedia) (Gen III onward)
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]