Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nintendo continues its fight against gamers
Exclamation 
I was digging through stuff that has been in storage for the past 20+ years and came across my old SNES, Sega Genesis/32x (the transformers for the plugs are gone on it.) and games, unfortunately I no longer have a TV that would work with these consoles (I think) so I went to EmuParadise to get a nostalgia fix on some of my old games, just to find out all the games got taken down, so I did some research and found this article. Kind of depressing, considering most all of the games I have were not chosen for their flash-back console, and I don't have the money to shell out for a Switch. Sorry for b****ing about this here, but seeing as this game has also gotten similar TD notices that almost every emulation website is getting now, y'all might have similar opinions to mine on this asinine decision from the big N.
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
Yes, I read about this on tumblr some days ago. Poor EmuParadise... I can't help but feel that this is one of the first impacts of the loss of Net Neutrality in the U.S., which is quite unnerving and saddening on it's own already. 

To hell will I buy a Switch, I'll just search for all the SNES Games I want to play but never managed to buy as an actual cartridge for my old exemplar elsewhere. The Game Industry is pretty illogical in regards to old Games, neatly summarized in this post: http://greed-the-dorkalicious.tumblr.com...considered
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
I've heard about this happening from Jim Sterling, and I have just as dim of an opinion about this as most retro gammers. Its not impossible to find ROMs and stuff for older games because of their decision to suddenly enforce their power of law/copyright on others, but its a whole lot more tedious and difficult now. Had to scramble and get several games I wanted to play/replay later on my computer for preservation's shake, so that if all the ROMs ARE taken off the web, I still have copies I can play/push out on the web when the heat dies down.

To clarify, Net Neutrality being repelled had nothing to do with Nintendo's actions (Though both are scummy/crummy in their own rights). They (The company) had a legal right to crack down on those websites regardless of NN, as they (The ROM sites) were technically distributing the IPs/Games illegally, and therefore 'stealing' them/enabling them to be 'stolen'.

The problem I have with it is.....well, most of those ROMs are for old games that have pretty much made all the money they ever will (Since they are physical media, rather than having a digitial release that could potentially make muns forever), and/or are so old/hard to get that no company would be able to profit on them anymore UNLESS they re-released them themselves in a cheap + convenient format. Those sites were, in practical terms, absolutely ZERO threat to the big corporations in terms of profits. This move is just an example of companies not wanting people to have stuff unless THEY get something out of it, and wanting to exert absolute control over their property. What they are doing is 'right and correct' .....but its also petty, contemptuous, and very over reaching/grasping.

For those of you that want to learn more about this issue in a timely, more eloquent manner, here's the video I watched about this from Jim Sterling. He does a much better job explaining stuff than my ramblings: http://www.thejimquisition.com/nintendo-...quisition/
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the rumor that Nintendo will be porting lots of old games to the Nintendo Switch.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(08-15-2018, 03:35 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: To clarify, Net Neutrality being repelled had nothing to do with Nintendo's actions (Though both are scummy/crummy in their own rights). They (The company) had a legal right to crack down on those websites regardless of NN, as they (The ROM sites) were technically distributing the IPs/Games illegally, and therefore 'stealing' them/enabling them to be 'stolen'.

No? Huh, I somehow felt it was indeed connected, but from the way you're pointing it out that thoughts seems to wrong. Also thanks for the linked video dear, I'll certainly give it a watch later!

(08-15-2018, 03:58 PM)Iron Wrote: I wonder if it could have anything to do with the rumor that Nintendo will be porting lots of old games to the Nintendo Switch.

I haven't heard about that rumor so far, but if that's true it sounds not so far off the edge that they're taking down the sites where you can get the ROM for free. Still, I won't buy a Switch, I just don't like that console.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(08-15-2018, 03:58 PM)Iron Wrote: I wonder if it could have anything to do with the rumor that Nintendo will be porting lots of old games to the Nintendo Switch.

Here's the thing: they hardly port over enough games from their old libraries at once/in large quantities, and they also grossly overcharge for them too. They didn't release nearly enough old games and at competitive prices with the Wii U, and they were perfectly capable of doing so. They just didn't. If they did that and sold them for cheap/what those games are worth NOW, then they'd be making a whole lot more money than simply trying to issue costly legal threats to stamp down on them 'competition.' 

If the only source/place you can get + play some old games conveniently now in days is by using ROMs and Emulators, and the Game Publishers can't/won't re-release those games at reasonable price, then what is the average person to do but use ROMs and Emulators, or just not be able to play those games? Nobody wins if ROMs are straight up taken off the internet without being replaced, not even corporations since they weren't profiting on all those old un-re-released games anyway.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

*boots up Nintendo Switch*

So, there is confirmation that for those who purchase the online service for the system (Nintendo Switch Online) starting in the latter half of September, there will be access to a 'selection of classic NES games with newly added online play'.

Beyond that, I'm not sure, as I believe it was stated that the Virtual Console series wasn't carrying over to the Switch (even though it'd still be a gold mine for Nintendo if it did).
(08-15-2018, 10:51 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: *boots up Nintendo Switch*

So, there is confirmation that for those who purchase the online service for the system (Nintendo Switch Online) starting in the latter half of September, there will be access to a 'selection of classic NES games with newly added online play'.  

Beyond that, I'm not sure, as I believe it was stated that the Virtual Console series wasn't carrying over to the Switch (even though it'd still be a gold mine for Nintendo if it did).

Still doesn't cover games that were never released outside of Japan, or were otherwise obscure, such as a Sonic clone (which is actually harder and a little better than Sonic lolz) I found based off of this series (This is the title screen of the English patch of said game):

*checks out the anime of the series this game is based on*
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
(08-16-2018, 09:34 AM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Still doesn't cover games that were never released outside of Japan, or were otherwise obscure, such as a Sonic clone (which is actually harder and a little better than Sonic lolz) I found based off of this series (This is the title screen of the English patch of said game):

And why are we expecting more obscure games to make unannounced official comebacks?  Just wondering.
(08-16-2018, 10:16 AM)Dragonstrike Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 09:34 AM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Still doesn't cover games that were never released outside of Japan, or were otherwise obscure, such as a Sonic clone (which is actually harder and a little better than Sonic lolz) I found based off of this series (This is the title screen of the English patch of said game):

And why are we expecting more obscure games to make unannounced official comebacks?  Just wondering.

Well, I wasn't, but it still be nice if they did so instead of hoarding their dragon's horde of video game IPs. They'd still make some money instead of none.

As for the Nintendo service....did they say how many games they were going to be offering at the onset, and if they will contiously expand that amount fast and noticeable enough (They release more than a trickle)? I'd like actually numbers and solid statements before I give any credit to the big N, given their sordid track record with its customers/fanbase.