Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
(06-01-2019, 07:46 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote:

Apologies, mate. I was not intending my comments to be overly argumentative, only to express my opinion and ask more details about a possible mechanics added to the OG system. I'll be quit about this for now on, until everyone has said their final piece on this matter.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650

(06-01-2019, 06:41 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 06:29 PM)Iron Wrote: Pokemon will have their own supply of Will points, right? So it might not be as big a deal as you'd think from being used to Skull Ruins.

They do, yes.  Pokemon don't usually spend Will on things other than healing moves unless they've been taught how to do so on command by a trainer, either.

Of course, Pokemon are probably also a lot more likely to spend Will than a trainer is since healing moves are very powerful.

It's kinda why I want to possibly test it out.  The original system was designed around Will point management, after all.  You can spend it on ignoring Pain, (almost) guaranteeing certain moves/techniques go off, or on healing.  How well it works though might depend on how frequently Will is awarded by the GM, however.  Trainers can spend it on things like throwing pokeballs, making sure their specialty rolls succeed...

Generally, the book recommends rewarding Will for good, in character RP.  Significant milestones that are very encouraging would probably also be a good time to reward it.  And getting a good rest probably also would.

IF I use the original system, I'll probably be more generous with handing out Will to help balance out the more frequent usage of Will Points.

No matter what system is used, though, you still have to be careful with spending Will, as it will still exhaust the user afterwards because they put all of their willpower into making sure that thing they were doing was going to work.

It'd be kind of fun to balance it as a daily resource - that's a bit more elegant than my limit of 3/day. Say you regen 1 Will Points per day to spend among 3 encounters - each encounter you could decide to heal OR ignore pain OR save it for the next day up to your cap.

Every place I gave out +1 XP for RP you could easily replace with a Will Point though. 

(06-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: I'd like to know how many Will Points would be gained for a 8 Hour Rest and Skipping Encounters, and if it would be possible to buy Will Items at Stores (Even if they're expensive at first) or farm them on the run (Growing Leppa Berries in Portable Pots like in Heart Gold/Soul Silver springs to mind) before I'm willing to consider supporting the Core Book's original rules on Healing. That, and Draining/Ability Healing is still to be left alone. 

I know I'm being stubborn and inflexible, but this is a fairly important/crucial topic for me and the other players, as THIS right here could either make or break our run through your campaign, depending on the situation.

It won't be that drastic. Most RPGs are so biased toward the players that any individual rule hardly matters. We saw it all the time in Skull Ruins - even OP things like Sleep didn't ruin the whole campaign.
Fun usually comes down to roleplaying and the tension of dice luck. Anything else you can work around if you have to - and of course a good GM will see an unbalanced rule and fix it in situ.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(06-01-2019, 07:33 PM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Looks like I weren't the only one to have a Gym leader as the character's friend (...)

(06-01-2019, 07:46 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [email protected] and @Mika, what are your thoughts on the topic, if you don't mind?

Uh, I actually don't have an opinion in that case, some testing and trying out along the way will probably encourange one.
EDIT: I'm wondering whether this whole thing affects Heal Bell as well as this is an important move within my party, but I guess not as it uses a normal Accu Roll using Stats and not Will.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it"
- Gerard Way

[Image: tumblr_ojj74xpbFJ1vh0d58o1_540.png]
A question I have about Will Points. Each time we or our Pokemon gain Will Point, it will stack or there will be a limit a Pokemon/Human have will points? And if no, if the the Pokemon has original 5 Will Points, gain 1 for a certain action and then spend for a healing action, next day in 8 hours will he restored it?
Beating ghosts with Heart!
Melting Primals with Kogeki!
Just so I have the Will-based healing right, it's number of times ya can heal in a given period, using will to do the healing move?
Like Phantom said, I'd rather see it in action before fully deciding on it.
"I'll show you a dance cloaked in shadow!"
[Image: 2019-01-18-210927-copy.jpg]
(06-02-2019, 04:35 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:46 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [email protected] and @Mika, what are your thoughts on the topic, if you don't mind?

Uh, I actually don't have an opinion in that case, some testing and trying out along the way will probably encourange one.
EDIT: I'm wondering whether this whole thing affects Heal Bell as well as this is an important move within my party, but I guess not as it uses a normal Accu Roll using Stats and not Will.

Yeah, Heal Bell isn't affected by this discussion.

(06-02-2019, 05:30 AM)Spiritmon Wrote: A question I have about Will Points. Each time we or our Pokemon gain Will Point, it will stack or there will be a limit a Pokemon/Human have will points? And if no, if the the Pokemon has original 5 Will Points, gain 1 for a certain action and then spend for a healing action, next day in 8 hours will he restored it?

The maximum number of Will points any character can have without surprises and such is 10.  That's a rule in the book.  5 was just the value I decided to start ya guys off with in the character creation.

Trying to determine how generous I'll have to be with natural and bonus Will point restoration.  Iron's got some good suggestions and reasoning if we test out Basic and Complete Heals requiring 1 Will to be spent in order to be used.  I'm open to the idea of testing those.
(06-02-2019, 09:20 AM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Just so I have the Will-based healing right, it's number of times ya can heal in a given period, using will to do the healing move?
Like Phantom said, I'd rather see it in action before fully deciding on it.

In the original rules all healing moves such as Recover and Synthesis require 1 Will to be spent to use them at all.  That means the amount of Will is tied directly to how many times your pokemon is able to use those moves.

So as an example, if a Starmie has 5 Will and uses Recover, they would have to spend 1 Will after successfully using it, reducing their total Will to 4.  Regaining Will through various means (like a daily +1 Will at the start of each day) can increase the Will score back to 5 or higher so you have more to spend.  Remember that a character will typically pass out if their Will score is reduced to 0.

Draining moves and HP healing abilities such as Giga Drain and Regenerator do not spend Will at all.

The system may need some fine tuning, but that's why this is a test game.  So I'm willing to try it out now and change things later if it doesn't work out.
So, should we test out the Will point healing for now, everyone, or leave it be?

I'll give those with 6 or less Will some bonus points and Rowan will include some Will point restoring items in the starting supplies he's purchasing if we do.  In that event, I'll also make natural Will recovery a daily thing (which might be more effective for characters with lower Will scores) and also give out Will points as a reward for various other things at my discretion.
Quote:So, should we test out the Will point healing for now, everyone, or leave it be?

I don't have any Healing Moves or moves generally among my Pokemon that require Will since Heal Bell and even my bird's Roost use a normal Accu Roll, lolz - so I don't really care. If it comes to a tie though, then I vote for testing it out.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it"
- Gerard Way

[Image: tumblr_ojj74xpbFJ1vh0d58o1_540.png]
(06-02-2019, 09:48 AM)Dragonstrike Wrote: So, should we test out the Will point healing for now, everyone, or leave it be?

I'll give those with 6 or less Will some bonus points and Rowan will include some Will point restoring items in the starting supplies he's purchasing if we do.  In that event, I'll also make natural Will recovery a daily thing (which might be more effective for characters with lower Will scores) and also give out Will points as a reward for various other things at my discretion.

It is better if we test first before going to implement in the final version of the game.

Since you have a healing pokemon @Lord Windos (based in what I could read) what is your input? 

In my case Dragon, my pokemons has 5 Will Points.
Beating ghosts with Heart!
Melting Primals with Kogeki!