Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
Hello, and welcome to the meta thread for my test game/prologue for my (eventually) upcoming Pokerole campaign!  If you're here, that probably means you're either one of my players or just want to read along to see what crazy stuff I've got cooked up!  Well, as a brief primer/reminder, here's the story!

The Story

Strange things are afoot at Mt. Coronet as of late.  Traversing the paths that cut through the mountain typically only takes about 2 hours, but recently, travelers have been claiming they've been taking anywhere from 3-18 hours to get through them!  There have also been reports of rare and powerful pokemon not native to the mountain showing up in larger numbers!  Beasts such as aggressive Aerodactyl, massive Torterra, mischievous Gengar, and many more have been sighted, and the populations of Hearthome City, Oreburgh City, Eterna City, and Celestic Town have started to get a little nervous about it.  Rumors of what might be happening abound, and they're all wildly different from each other, but they all agree on one thing: it's becoming very clear that something strange is going on...

Professor Rowan has decided that this matter warrants further investigation, and has recruited several talented trainers to help look into it!  The trip to the mountain will likely be dangerous, so the Professor of Pokemon Evolution has primarily been looking for trainers with a lot of raw talent and skills that may be helpful while exploring the mountain's caves and peak.

Professor Rowan has made efforts to keep this job a secret, so as not to cause even more unrest among the Sinnoh region's population.  After a week of preparing for the expedition and a second week of looking for promising trainers to join it, he's asked all who will be involved to meet him in Snowpoint City, where this story will begin...

[Image: 195px-Mt._Coronet.png]

Note: For reference, this game takes place in a separate universe from the ones that feature the Skull Ruins and Celadon City campaigns.  As such, that means the timeline is going to differ slightly.  Many of the events of both the Skull Ruins and Celadon City campaigns are canon in this universe, but are somewhat altered at my discretion so that they mesh together with each other and the story I have planned a lot better.  The events of this test game are set about a year after the events of Skull Ruins, and a little over 10 years after the events of Celadon City.  If questions about past events are relevant, I shall answer them, but don't worry about them too much.  The story I have planned is unrelated to the stories of the other campaigns.

The Rules

The first thing I need to say is that we'll be using the 1.2.5 version of the Pokerole rulebook.  If you need to download that version, you can get it here.  (Don't worry if it says it's the download for v1.2.  The button should start a download for v1.2.5)

A good portion of the rules from the Skull Ruins Campaign are going to carry over.  Those can be found here.  Iron's covered most of the rules fairly well, so definitely give this post a read to get a grasp of some of the basic ideas if you need to.

Some of the rules from the Celadon campaign are also carrying over.  Those can be found here.  It is a very different campaign by nature, however, so expect many of those rules to be exclusive to that campaign.

However, there are definitely some rules that are not carrying over, or are changing due to the nature of this campaign.  So, let me list what some my game's rules are going to be.

As you can probably tell from the sheer amount of changes, this campaign is going to play rather differently from the prior ones.  I'm not sure how well all of this might work, but that's what this test game is for: to help me iron out the kinks in the rules so I can try to make my main campaign as enjoyable as I can.  I can't do that alone, though, for obvious reasons, which is whyI have some wonderful players joining me for this adventure (and hopefully the next one as well).

The Beginning

@Lord Windos, @Mikaruge108, and @Spiritmon, you may all introduce your characters now if you wish (if there are secrets you wish to keep for the time being, you don't have to reveal your characters' entire backstories if you don't wish to).  After everyone arrived in Snowpoint, they would have had about a day to get to know each other (and each others' pokemon) before the story truly begins.  If you wish to do any introductions IC, I may post the Game Thread before the 9th specifically for that.

I believe I covered most of the basic information.  If anyone has any questions, let me know!  I am planning to officially start the test game/prologue on Sunday June 9th, 2019, though I may start it sooner or later depending on irl stuff and if I feel like I've finished my preparations.

EDIT: Started the game early since I finished the majority of my preparations!  Just for the heck of it, I'll leave a (completely unnecessary) note saying we started on Thursday, June 6th, 2019.  It was rather late at night, though, so it's more like we started on Friday, June 7th, tbh. Tongue
Oh boy, it's finally begin! UHUUUUU!

Can't wait to introduce my char. But if everyone don't mind, I prefer to hide for now my char and wait the moment the game truly begin. I like a dramatic entrance.
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
Name: Karen
Hair: Red, with her bangs dyed blonde
Eyes: left Gold; right Silver
Age: 14 (as of reaching Sinnoh); 13 (as of recieving Starter)
Area of origin: Olivine City, Johto
Starter: Magnemite (received as a gift from Jasmine)
Profession: newbie Trainer, but she's apparently a prodigy.
Height: 4'9" (144.78cm)
Other notes:

• Clothing description: off-shoulder crystal-blue shirt, mid-thigh length navy-blue courderoy shorts with knee-length spats underneath, high-top sneakers, and ankle socks. Though she doesn't always wear it, she has a windbreaker. Her bag is a normal backpack.
  • her hair is worn in braids
  • total klutz
  • Friends with Olivine's Gym Leader, Jasmine
  • Kind, with a bubbly personality (High natural empathy)
  • Pretty smart

Not quite complete (didn't finish some of the color gradients) though
and like Leigh, art source is Picrew

Left Johto on a journey and ended up in Sinnoh. The main reason of her journey is to overcome her childhood fear of certian Pokemon. While a bit of a klutz, she's a hard worker that tries her very best at everything she does. Her starting Pokemon is a token of the friendship between her and Jasmine, and was given to Karen shortly before she started her journey. Up until she started her journey, she never left her hometown of Olivine. (She led a somewhat sheltered life.)
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
oooooo! Have fun guys!
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
Oi, it begins. Humm, @Dragonstrike, shall I introduce my chara alongside the others too despite the 'special conditions' surrounding them? We agreed that they'll come up not right at the start but still pretty early (maybe during the first in-game Day or whenever you feel like a good situation might be), so I'm not quite sure.

Ahhhh @Mikaruge108, you'll habe a female chara? That's so cool, it rejoices me that I'm not the only one who decided to try genderbend-RP'ing!~
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
These rules look really fun now that we're all veteran roleplayers.
Current project:
Just noticed this part, but I managed to not only include Gen II's colors (intentional), but Gen I as well on Karen
and a couple fun facts:
-Her original working name was 'Karin'
-Some parts of her design came from a character that I scrapped around the time I started making Spira (mainly the Heterochromia)
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
(06-01-2019, 12:43 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Oi, it begins. Humm, Dragonstrike, shall I introduce my chara alongside the others too despite the 'special conditions' surrounding them? We agreed that they'll come up not right at the start but still pretty early (maybe during the first in-game Day or whenever you feel like a good situation might be), so I'm not quite sure.

Spoilers!

But yes, Phantom is indeed going to join us for this test game, everyone.

We'll introduce your character when they show up.  You've got a little more time to finish your character sheet as a result.  Since you want to join early on, though, make sure it's finished since you don't know when exactly your character will appear.

(06-01-2019, 01:23 PM)Iron Wrote: These rules look really fun now that we're all veteran roleplayers.

Glad to hear that!  I wanted to make this a little more similar to what we're familiar with in the games without modifying the base system too much, so I hope some of these rules achieve that.

The only one I listed that I'm not entirely set on so far is how Will scores will affect how many times you can use healing moves like Recover and Softboiled.

I am totally looking forward to seeing what kind of character you make if you join my main game when that starts.
Oh I've definitely been thinking about it. (Are you going to do a traditional journey, like Skull Ruins/canon where you start with your starter and move on from there?)

Watching this test game will help me decide on some details of that character.
Current project:
(06-01-2019, 02:26 PM)Iron Wrote: Oh I've definitely been thinking about it. (Are you going to do a traditional journey, like Skull Ruins/canon where you start with your starter and move on from there?)

Watching this test game will help me decide on some details of that character.

My main game is going to be a different kind of journey.  I'd say more, but I want it to be a surprise (which will be revealed at the end of the test game)

I'm a little nervous about how it might be received, but I'm hopeful that it'll be a nice change of pace overall.