Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
Quote:We'll introduce your character when they show up.  You've got a little more time to finish your character sheet as a result.  Since you want to join early on, though, make sure it's finished since you don't know when exactly your character will appear.

Okay, understood! I'll hold off openly sharing some basic chara info and artwork until then.

Something I also wanted to say, is that from 17th to 20th June I'll be traveling and therefor less active, so it would be convenient if we'd try to not place his appearance during that time to prevent unnecessary stalling. The train and hotel will have free Wifi though, so checking in at least once a day should work fine.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
Probably the funniest part for me is imagining Karen's face when the breedject that she adopted as an egg hatched (gonna keep her party a secret until the game Tongue)
By the way, this character was a major inspiration for her physical design.
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
(06-01-2019, 02:50 PM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Probably the funniest part for me is imagining Karen's face when the breedject that she adopted as an egg hatched (gonna keep her party a secret until the game Tongue)
By the way, this character was a major inspiration for her physical design.

Oh cool. A pretty nice choice of appearance. Looking foward for future interactions.
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
(06-01-2019, 02:31 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 02:26 PM)Iron Wrote: Oh I've definitely been thinking about it. (Are you going to do a traditional journey, like Skull Ruins/canon where you start with your starter and move on from there?)

Watching this test game will help me decide on some details of that character.

My main game is going to be a different kind of journey.  I'd say more, but I want it to be a surprise (which will be revealed at the end of the test game)

I'm a little nervous about how it might be received, but I'm hopeful that it'll be a nice change of pace overall.

Relax mate. Just maintain the calm and go though the wave of the campaigh.
(06-01-2019, 11:21 AM)Dragonstrike Wrote:

Welly well well, I was wondering when you were going to be putting up the Meta Thread for your game, mate! Love the name of it too! Simple, but sweet, and it tells us exactly what sort of experience we're getting into! Can't wait to get right into the thick of things and have a blast!

Only thing that has me concerned so far is the whole 'Will Points  = Amount of Heals per day.' To me, that reeks of either Players NEVER using their Will Points for a given Pokemon and hoarding a HUGE amount so that they can just keep healing forever, or them never being able to heal at all if they want to use their Will to ignore Pain and/or guarantee a Success. Why not just have a set limit use to a Healing Move per Encounter instead? If you don't want us to spam them, then make it so that they can only be used once per Encounter until they meet a certain Level and/or other critera threshold?

Gripe aside, time to introduce my character! I'll be light on the details with him, as I want his personality to truly shine with everyone once they get a gander at him!

Note: Details might be rough/a bit inaccurate, since I don't have to original posts for them anymore

Character Name: Randolph Schimdt

Gender and Age: Old Male (Pre 50s)

Nationality: Sinnohan of Germanic decent 

Home Town: Orebourgh 

Current Place of LivingCanalave City

Profession(s)/Education: Miner/Mine Manager/Geologist (Old/Former for Orebourgh Mines), Blacksmith/Repairman (Current, Owns his smithy) ; Has a PhD in Geology, and has a decade + of experience in Smithing of all kinds; Is a fairly studious reader in general

Appearance/Character Details
[*]Has short, messy coppery red/orange hair, with a matching long and bristly beard, off-white/leathery white skin tone (From working around his Smithy), and mud brown eyes
[*]Commonly wears flannel shirts and overall jeans, steel toe boots, and thick black gloves
[*]Wears a hardhat, and commonly carries around and wears a blacksmith's apron (along with his smithing gear + mining tools)
[*]Has a 'hard-bitten' or more worn/stress out facial features, with plenty of wrinkles around his eyes, nose, and corners of his lip (when you can see them past the beard, anyway)
[*]Generally fairly serious and hard working
[*]Dislikes most of the current younger generation; Gets along better with his/older generations
[*]Only in recently has become a Trainer, and never had much care/interest for the profession prior to becoming one (Or Pokemon, for that matter), but is a fairly accomplished one none-the-less
[*]Friends/buddies with Byron and his son Roark, due to their careers/interests overlapping so much and the history they share!
[*]Likes to drink off the job, and is a friendly/social drunk!
[*]Prefers to be called either Ran, Schimdt, or Wolfe, and HATES being called Randy (Tells people this straight up, and if they call him that anyway he wallops them for it!)

Starter Pokemon: Secret! I'll give you guys a couple of hints, though: They're native to the Sinnoh Region, and can be found in one of the region's Mines!

Reason for his Participation in the Campaign: Personally got a letter from Dr. Rowan (Via Byron, since they never meet him before, and therefore they don't have each other's personal details) requesting his help with the MYSTERY! currently surrounding Mt. Coronet and offering generous compensation for his time/effort, and he didn't have anything else pressing to do at home/the smithy, so he decided to honor and accept their deal and investigate that dang mountain for them! Should be a cinch for him, given his education and background! Or so he hopes/expects!

That should do it! Tell me what you think of my chara., mates!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(06-01-2019, 04:50 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Only thing that has me concerned so far is the whole 'Will Points  = Amount of Heals per day.' To me, that reeks of either Players NEVER using their Will Points for a given Pokemon and hoarding a HUGE amount so that they can just keep healing forever, or them never being able to heal at all if they want to use their Will to ignore Pain and/or guarantee a Success. Why not just have a set limit use to a Healing Move per Encounter instead? If you don't want us to spam them, then make it so that they can only be used once per Encounter until they meet a certain Level and/or other critera threshold?

Yeah, I'm kinda iffy on the rule as well, tbh.  I am seriously considering reimplementing the 'have to spend a will point to use a basic/complete heal', tbh, but that's a rather big change to make.  But maybe it isn't so bad a) as long as I'm semi lenient with natural Will recovery at lower values and b) since exp can be spent to regain Will manually.

I could also limit it to a small number per encounter (like in CCV), or a larger number per day (like in SR, though I think 3 per day might be too few for this game, tbh).

It 100% needs some work still.  One thing's for sure, though: the system is built around limiting healing in some manner, so I don't want to stray too far from that. If everyone could give me some input on which of the four methods we should try, I'd really appreciate that!

One detail Windos forgot to mention about Randolph is his height!  Though I have a feeling that it might have been intentionally left out, tbh...
One thing I would try to encourage more if I were starting over as GM? Trainer actions in combat that aren't damaging moves. I love the example in the book about riding a Tauros and sending a text, but the problem is it's basically always better to send your mon in.

Maybe with the out-of-combat skills being separated to the trainer only, that will become more common!
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(06-01-2019, 05:03 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote:

If you re implement the Corebook version of healing, then I DEFINITELY will never use/spend XP on Recovery outside of Potions/Berries and Recovery Moves (IF they don't need Will for the Heal). The Core's version makes using it WAY to much of a hassle unless a Pokemon is gain Will after every Encounter/every other Encounter/A set amount at the End of the Day/Will Point Restoratives are available and relatively inexpensive, so if you follow its interp. I'm pretty much going to ignore that system as much as possible. 

I get that healing needs to be limited, but I rather that be focused on the AMOUNT of heals you have per Encounter (Or Day, if having Heals Per Encounter is too much) or their EFFECTIVENESS (If they really need to be balanced THAT hard), rather than gating off them off with steep costs that screws a player over in other ways (Like not having the Will for Pain/Successes/Those few Moves that REQUIRE Will for its Roll and/or as a Check). I don't count Spend XP on Will as a 'good'/reliable way of Will Points, as a Pokemon would much rather be saving it for Stat Increases, Surprises, and/or Moves, might not always have enough XP to cover the cost, and it would effectively either void or severely reduce the overall XP gain of a Pokemon in they frequently use Moves that would spend Will Points on their activation.

My solution: Tie the amount of Dedicated Recovery Move used per Encounter/Every other Encounter/Day to the Level of a Pokemon. Every 20 - 25 Levels they have, they get + 1 Heals for a given Recovery Move, with a Move's Base Amount of Heals either being 1-2 or More (Amt. Could Vary With Move, Like Softboil/Wish/Swallow having a High Base Amt, or Synthesis/Moonlight/Sunlight having more Heals if the Weather's Sunny/conditions are favorable and less/None if its unfavorable, etc.). If a Pokemon has an Ability/is of a disposition that would thematically enhances healing, then give those Recovery Moves either more uses or increased effectiveness, and make increasing the Amt of Heals/Their Effectiveness/Additional Effects possible via the purchase of Surprises! (Costs will obviously vary). Leave Drain Moves and Ability Healing alone entirely.

My second, simplier solution: Limit 2 Heals per Encounter for Recovery Moves (Bar Surprises!/Other Shenanigans), or Limit 5 Heals Per Day (Depending on how many Encounters are in a given day). Leave Drain/Ability Healing alone.

Note: Where does Aqua Ring, Swallow, Heal Pulse, and other esoteric Healing Moves fall in the grand scheme of things, Dragonstrike?

What do you think, mate!

That I did. Sorta spoiled the surprise there, but I can deal with that.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
I agree with Windos suggestions of Healing. Another one I could add would limited the usage of a Pokemon healing Pulse to three like in other campaigns or maybe the number of Insight/Special could use by a maximum of 5/4. That's other input I have in the situation.
(06-01-2019, 05:41 PM)Iron Wrote: One thing I would try to encourage more if I were starting over as GM? Trainer actions in combat that aren't damaging moves. I love the example in the book about riding a Tauros and sending a text, but the problem is it's basically always better to send  your mon in.

Maybe with the out-of-combat skills being separated to the trainer only, that will become more common!

Yeah, not much reason for a pokemon to take a Science Specialty unless they're a Porygon-Z, after all.  Or Etiquette if they don't know Bestow or similar.  For comparison, a human could be in a lot of situations where they might want to apply those specialties, but probably won't want a great deal of combat related specialties (besides Evasion and Throw) since their pokemon will be doing most of the battling.

The main way to encourage stuff like that is probably to set up situations where a trainer might want to use those specialties.  The book has them for a reason, after all.  The tauros example in the book is a field research situation that didn't involve combat.

Creative thinking in battle that fits the situation could be useful, too.  Again, the specialties are there for a reason, after all.  Maybe using your specialty can give you a clue about an action you could take to give you an advantage.

I do want to encourage a wider variety of rolls in my game if at all possible.

(06-01-2019, 05:43 PM)Lord Windos Wrote:

If I were to limit healing by requiring Will to be spent for each use, I'd limit it only to moves that can do Basic and Complete heals.  Heal Pulse and Wish would both fall under that category, but Aqua Ring and Swallow would not (like with Drain and Ability based healing).

Sounds like we might be favoring a simpler solution for healing limitations, then.  The main question is it going to be per encounter or daily?  Hmmm...I'm leaning towards the smaller number per encounter tbh, but I'd still like to hear everybody's input.

There's still plenty more surprises though! Wink