Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Meta Thread] Dragonstrike's Pokerole Test Game: Mount Coronet Mystery
Pokemon will have their own supply of Will points, right? So it might not be as big a deal as you'd think from being used to Skull Ruins.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
My answer on Heal Limits Per Encounter or Day hinges on the average amount of Encounters are going to be within a given day. If its only going to be 3 or Less Encounters (Or a bunch of micro Encounters with a couple of big ones that don't take up much time/resources), then I'm for the Per Day option, if the amount of Heals is greater than 3. If you'll be having 4 or more Standard Encounters per day, though, I want Heals Per Encounter, with preferably 2 being the Base Line for most Recovery Moves.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(06-01-2019, 06:29 PM)Iron Wrote: Pokemon will have their own supply of Will points, right? So it might not be as big a deal as you'd think from being used to Skull Ruins.

They do, yes.  Pokemon don't usually spend Will on things other than healing moves unless they've been taught how to do so on command by a trainer, either.

Of course, Pokemon are probably also a lot more likely to spend Will than a trainer is since healing moves are very powerful.

It's kinda why I want to possibly test it out.  The original system was designed around Will point management, after all.  You can spend it on ignoring Pain, (almost) guaranteeing certain moves/techniques go off, or on healing.  How well it works though might depend on how frequently Will is awarded by the GM, however.  Trainers can spend it on things like throwing pokeballs, making sure their specialty rolls succeed...

Generally, the book recommends rewarding Will for good, in character RP.  Significant milestones that are very encouraging would probably also be a good time to reward it.  And getting a good rest probably also would.

IF I use the original system, I'll probably be more generous with handing out Will to help balance out the more frequent usage of Will Points.

No matter what system is used, though, you still have to be careful with spending Will, as it will still exhaust the user afterwards because they put all of their willpower into making sure that thing they were doing was going to work.
(06-01-2019, 06:29 PM)Iron Wrote: Pokemon will have their own supply of Will points, right? So it might not be as big a deal as you'd think from being used to Skull Ruins.

Will Points are still a precious resources that can't be easily/cheaply re-obtained no matter if they're concentrated in one character or over multiple ones. Unless something is done that allows for a reliable means to restore a Pokemon's Will Pool (Either a End of Day Restock to a cap, readily avaliable Will Point Items, Some means of earning them in/between/from Encounters outside of spending XP for them reliably, etc..), using Will Points as a cost for Healing would burn a Pokemon out rather quickly and deny them the ability to use them for other things. And that's not mentioning the fact that EVERYTHING MUST have at least 1 Will Point in order to Act/Function in/out of battle in a meaningful way, so that's yet another cost/restriction that makes spending Will for healing highly unappealing. 

Bottom line: Spending Will for Healing is expensive and costly to a VERY nearly prohibitive extent, and really should only be in place for either really short campaigns (Where the lose of Will doesn't matter at all, since the charas are not going to be existing in the long run), really hard campaigns (Pokerole Nuzlocke, anyone?), or if Will Points are a more easily obtainable and expendable resources. I honestly find the Core book's ruling on that aspect of Pokemon Healing to be just plain awful, and want nothing to do with it in ANY campaign I play in, if at all possible.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

(06-01-2019, 06:41 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: (...)

IF I use the original system, I'll probably be more generous with handing out Will to help balance out the more frequent usage of Will Points.

(...)

IF you use the OG system, then I'm not. That isn't my jam at ALL, so I'll just leave it on the table and enjoy your campaign without it.

(06-01-2019, 06:41 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Will Points are still a precious resources that can't be easily/cheaply re-obtained no matter if they're concentrated in one character or over multiple ones. Unless something is done that allows for a reliable means to restore a Pokemon's Will Pool (Either a End of Day Restock to a cap, readily avaliable Will Point Items, Some means of earning them in/between/from Encounters outside of spending XP for them reliably, etc..), using Will Points as a cost for Healing would burn a Pokemon out rather quickly and deny them the ability to use them for other things. And that's not mentioning the fact that EVERYTHING MUST have at least 1 Will Point in order to Act/Function in/out of battle in a meaningful way, so that's yet another cost/restriction that makes spending Will for healing highly unappealing. 

Bottom line: Spending Will for Healing is expensive and costly to a VERY nearly prohibitive extent, and really should only be in place for either really short campaigns (Where the lose of Will doesn't matter at all, since the charas are not going to be existing in the long run), really hard campaigns (Pokerole Nuzlocke, anyone?), or if Will Points are a more easily obtainable and expendable resources. I honestly find the Core book's ruling on that aspect of Pokemon Healing to be just plain awful, and want nothing to do with it in ANY campaign I play in, if at all possible.

I'd be more than willing to implement an end of day/good night's sleep/8 hour rest will point restoration if we use the original system.  It makes a lot of sense to me, tbh (and even has precedent in Skull Ruins from when Shiva passed out due to Will depletion).

Will point restoring items are kinda rare/costly, but Professor Rowan could probably provide a few for emergencies in the starting supplies he's going to purchase for everyone he hired.

Spending Will in general is a rather costly thing in general if you intend to use it for frequent healing.  The good news, though?  Well, your opponents have to do it too, so no heal spam for them either!  On top of that, those Will scores are what are used by wild pokemon to resist being captured.  Beat them up, force them to heal, then beat them up some more, and they're even easier to capture than before because they're even more tired.
(06-01-2019, 06:47 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: I'd be more than willing to implement an end of day/good night's sleep/8 hour rest will point restoration if we use the original system.  It makes a lot of sense to me, tbh (and even has precedent in Skull Ruins from when Shiva passed out due to Will depletion).

Will point restoring items are kinda rare/costly, but Professor Rowan could probably provide a few for emergencies in the starting supplies he's going to purchase for everyone he hired.

Spending Will in general is a rather costly thing in general if you intend to use it for frequent healing.  The good news, though?  Well, your opponents have to do it too, so no heal spam for them either!  On top of that, those Will scores are what are used by wild pokemon to resist being captured.  Beat them up, force them to heal, then beat them up some more, and they're even easier to capture than before because they're even more tired.

I'd like to know how many Will Points would be gained for a 8 Hour Rest and Skipping Encounters, and if it would be possible to buy Will Items at Stores (Even if they're expensive at first) or farm them on the run (Growing Leppa Berries in Portable Pots like in Heart Gold/Soul Silver springs to mind) before I'm willing to consider supporting the Core Book's original rules on Healing. That, and Draining/Ability Healing is still to be left alone. 

I know I'm being stubborn and inflexible, but this is a fairly important/crucial topic for me and the other players, as THIS right here could either make or break our run through your campaign, depending on the situation.

Looks like I weren't the only one to have a Gym leader as the character's friend, other than that, great chara, can't wait to see how Karen interacts with him! Long as he doesn't have any *spoiler* pokemon, things'll be fine.
[Image: 7V2sBYC.png]
(06-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: I'd like to know how many Will Points would be gained for a 8 Hour Rest and Skipping Encounters, and if it would be possible to buy Will Items at Stores (Even if they're expensive at first) or farm them on the run (Growing Leppa Berries in Portable Pots like in Heart Gold/Soul Silver springs to mind) before I'm willing to consider supporting the Core Book's original rules on Healing. That, and Draining/Ability Healing is still to be left alone. 

I know I'm being stubborn and inflexible, but this is a fairly important/crucial topic for me and the other players, as THIS right here could either make or break our run through your campaign, depending on the situation.

Windos, could you please calm down a little about the topic?  Yes, I know this could potentially be really annoying if that change is implemented, particularly for your character since healing is an essential part of your strategy.  I'd like for this to be a reasoned discussion, not what could be mistaken as a shouting match.

I'm sorta leaning towards a per encounter/daily limit, and I have my own concerns about the OG system on paper, particularly knowing this is going to be a longer game.

This is a test game, though, and we also haven't actually tried to put the will point based healing into practice yet.  Which is why I'm still considering it as an option and asking for everyone's opinions.  Your concerns have been noted, as have Spirit's.  IF I use the OG system (and it's a big IF right now), I'll see what I can do to help balance out some of the concerns.  If not, there are systems I can borrow from that have worked perfectly fine previously.

So...@PhantomUnderYourDesk and @Mikaruge108, what are your thoughts on the topic, if you don't mind?
(06-01-2019, 07:33 PM)Mikaruge108 Wrote: Looks like I weren't the only one to have a Gym leader as the character's friend, other than that, great chara, can't wait to see how Karen interacts with him! Long as he doesn't have any *spoiler* pokemon, things'll be fine.

Randolph might not like Karen very much at first, though.  Fair warning.

And that being said, I'm also looking forward to seeing how the two of them interact with each other, given what I know about both of their backstories.  And everyone's, in fact.  There's a lot of potential for some good RP in this group of characters.