Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Glavinug- what set?
I just managed to get my Snow Warning Glaslug after being repeatedly interrupted by Flager breaking my chain. Before I get to breeding it for better IVs, I want opinions on a few things:

Nature- Calm, Modest, or Sassy? The one I caught came with Sassy, which isn't strictly bad because Glavinug isn't too fast to begin with. Going with Sassy lets me cut out the annoyance of finding a Calm or Modest Duplicat, but the other two lower the only stat that won't be helpful to me.

Moves? My first impulse was to go with Recover/Toxic/Surf/Ice Beam or Blizzard which is essentially a mini-Lapras, due to its good SpAtk and respectable HP. My friend, however, suggested Calm Mind and Dazzling Gleam (mainly because he didn't realize I had already beaten the game and thought it was for a playthrough team, though he stuck with it due to preference and coverage). The main problem I see is that while Dazzling Gleam covers Glavinug's Fighting weakness, it doesn't cover his low Speed, so a high-Atk mon like Navighast would easily KO Glavinug if I don't predict the switch.

Essentially:

Ice Beam or Blizzard?
Recover and Toxic or Calm Mind and Dazzling Gleam?
Does the stall set become more viable with Sassy/Calm and Modest should be the one with the sweeper set? Which is better?

Thanks~
Breeder's Discord

Please support a growing Roleplaying forum by voting here! You can vote once per day.
Hiya! Glavinug is an interesting (and one of my fav pokemon, cause look at it! so pretty and adorable aaahhhhh) Pokemon, boasting good defenses, great coverage, and great attacking capabilities while being able to support teams with moves such as Heal Bell, Safeguard, and Wish. I'll show you a few sets to suit Glavinug: keep in mind Glavinug has some difficulty performing its best by itself though. Have fun with the sets I shall present you!

Sassy Glavinug is a huge no-no; sure its speed isnt horrible, but being unable to take down your opponents or use Recover before you opponents hit you is absolutely terrible. The ability to make your move first is extremely important in this game; be mindful of this. If you want more Tank; Calm (-att +def) or Bold(-att +sp def) can be considered, however its Ice-typing makes it unsuitable for it to resist many moves, making it an unsuitable tank in most suitations. 

With that said, Quiet Glavinug can work under Trick Room. It's one of the slower Water Pokemon in this game to make use of it, but in general anything slower than base 70-80 Speed and can either hit very hard or tank well (such as Glavinug) is definitely something to consider in a Trick Room team. 

Trick Room Glavinug w/ Life Orb or Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure or Snow Warning
Nature: Quiet

Surf
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb
Recover/Sludge Bomb

Glavinug has little diversity in moves, but it still has some of the better coverages and STABs in the game. Surf and Ice Beam is its biggest damage-dealer, while moves like Dazzling Gleam and Sludge Bomb are great against Fighting Pokemon and bulky Fairies respectively. Life Orb is preferred to make use of flexibility under TR, whereas Choice Specs can be considered if you are using an all-out attacker. Blizzard is a must-have if you run Snow Warning.

Imo Natural Cure is the preferred Ability in this set, as you can easily switch out to recover negative status effects such as Sleep, Burn or Poison. You don't want Swift Swim in your Glavinug, as it will otherwise make its speed double in rain essentially making it useless in TR. Snow Warning is okay, but when Trick Room is one of the hardest Teams to play out competitively as it is extremely niche in many situations, aside other factors including needing to factor in your ability to pump out as much damage under the guise of TR; having to balance a weather and a temporary field is a huge pain to the core.

Anyways, to answer the rest of your questions:

Q. Ice Beam or Blizzard?

A. As stated above, Blizzard above is a must have if you run Snow Warning, as you will get a 100% accuracy buff instead of 70% without Hail. With that said, Timid is almost a must if you run Snow Warning - you'd want to outspeed everything before they can get your hands on our adorable Blue Globber. Until then, as I said earlier, being able to hit first means a lot in this game. Therefore, support moves such as Sticky Web that slows down your enemies or ally Pokemon with Moves such as Flame Impact or Mach Punch is useful to finish your enemies before they get to you.

Q. Recover and Toxic or Calm Mind and Dazzling Gleam?

A. I'd prefer the later, as Water/Ice Typing doesn't make it excellent at resisting many moves. Having Calm Mind, Recover, and two attack moves of your choice is also a good idea. I'd prefer Calm Mind/Recover/Ice Beam/Dazzling Gleam. I guess you can run Blizzard over Ice Beam too, especially since you are keen on Snow Warning. But just remember that weather wears off after 5 turns, so its likely that you'll find yourself in a situation where there isn't anymore Hail after you have set up Calm Minds and is ready to sweep with your 70% accuracy Blizzard.

Q. Does the stall set become more viable with Sassy/Calm and Modest should be the one with the sweeper set? Which is better?

A. Again, NO Sassy. You don't want to move last and get KO-ed before you can act first when you could have potentially outspeed with a Neutral Nature or a +ve Speed Nature. With that said, I'd prefer Timid with an all out attack EV spread; movesets Calm Mind/Surf/Ice Beam/Dazzling Gleam on it, or have Recover instead of Calm Mind. It's up to you to decide if you prefer Life Orb or Leftovers, but if you prefer Calm Mind over Recover, opt for Leftovers to ensure its longelivity. Life Orb is preferred otherwise as you can easily Recover the offset damage you get from it's recoil.

Personally, I prefer Swift Swim Glavinug w/ Life Orb, as it can outspeed many opponents under rain (including other Choice Scarf'd Pokemon like Nucleon and Laissure) with enough investment in Speed. Recover is wonderful on this set, and Surf or Coral Break deals a huge amount of damage as a STAB and under rain. Snow Warning Glavinug is better off played in Doubles, whereby its weaknesses can be more easily managed with another ally Pokemon out in the same battle as it is. Plus, whodoesn't like good Blizzard that never misses in a Double Battle? Just wreck everything! 

EDIT: If you still prefer Snow Warning and want more Hail out of it, throw an Icy Rock at it! I'm not very sure where can you get this though... but when you do, you get 8 turns of Hail instead of 5!

Hope my advice helps. Stay fresh!

Thank you for the advice!

I've never really been a fan of running Trick Room, to be perfectly honest. I mean it says something that my only weather (or similar effect) team in actual meta is a Sandstorm team that uses a lead that doesn't even set up Sandstorm (hazards Skarmory). It can be difficult to maintain Trick Room especially since it's a move and not an Ability, which is the main reason I'd run Snow Warning/Sand Stream/Drought/Drizzle over Hail/Sandstorm/Sunny Day/Rain Dance.

That being said, I'm really liking the Recover/Surf/Blizzard/Dazzling Gleam idea, and I suppose I'll find another Pokemon that can Toxic stall and doesn't evolve from Eevee.

(I also need to figure out my primary team composition since I have half a box of Pokemon I intend to EV train and a couple Pokemon I'm trying to breed)
Breeder's Discord

Please support a growing Roleplaying forum by voting here! You can vote once per day.
(10-15-2016, 05:02 AM)Keileon Wrote: Thank you for the advice!

I've never really been a fan of running Trick Room, to be perfectly honest. I mean it says something that my only weather (or similar effect) team in actual meta is a Sandstorm team that uses a lead that doesn't even set up Sandstorm (hazards Skarmory). It can be difficult to maintain Trick Room especially since it's a move and not an Ability, which is the main reason I'd run Snow Warning/Sand Stream/Drought/Drizzle over Hail/Sandstorm/Sunny Day/Rain Dance.

That being said, I'm really liking the Recover/Surf/Blizzard/Dazzling Gleam idea, and I suppose I'll find another Pokemon that can Toxic stall and doesn't evolve from Eevee.

(I also need to figure out my primary team composition since I have half a box of Pokemon I intend to EV train and a couple Pokemon I'm trying to breed)

I get ya XD I have almost a box full of fully trained competitive mons, but it sucks that Lobby is still down. I've heard from Andro that I would really like the next update though.... Sounds like he was baiting me to look forward to it cause perhaps the next update will officially fix the Online lobby Tongue

Imo Escartress and Haagross is a great Pokemon to toxic stall with. Both of them has access to Recover, and Haagross has the added advantage of allowing Toxic to always hit due to its Poison-typing. Haagross also gets Regenerator which is awesummm. Both are also awesome at tanking, just look up their defensive spread and you'll know what I mean. Tongue

P.S. I have some HA Glaslugs, 5IVs. want some? They're also caught in Dive ball so there is that. :3