Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pokemon Glass
Thanks! They're mostly lifted from DPPt and HGSS (thus Gen IV), I've only gotten about halfway through with the conversions but I'm glad you like them. If you've got a tileset with a style you like I might be able to work it in a little more (for example, HGSS had, on the whole, noticeably brighter colors than DPPt).

I actually like your prologue a lot! I've done some serious worldbuilding on an AU explanation for the Pokemon world centered around Professor Oak's grandfather (that it happens in our future - think the Fallout games, but with a happier outcome) and what you've set down for the prologue and league structure fits well with the development of the League system I've worked out (in my headcanon, the various Leagues began with groups of powerful trainers banding together to take down local gangs/teams in the absence of a functioning UN).
I'll have to take a look and see how they seem! Thanks for the suggestion!

Thank you! Your wordbuilding sounds really neat, and explains a lot about the universe both socially and technologically!
Technologically very much yes. I started thinking about it one day and I realized that the Pokemon universe bears all the hallmarks of a post-apocalyptic civilization. They have advanced technology, especially medical, but at the same time there's no infrastructure to support its development. Cars are almost unheard of; people get from town to town on unfinished paths. Sometimes there's a road built to make biking easier. Yet they have devices that shrink pokemon, teleporters, ways to store physical objects in digital space, etc.

So my headcanon (in very brief form) is that WWIII starts but is averted before the world is completely wiped out, although the United States, Korea, and the Middle East are pretty much gone. Just as the world is catching its collective breath, massive earthquakes occur planetwide, demolishing much of the remaining infrastructure. The worlds fault lines crack open into yawning rifts, and energy starts flowing through them. This energy alters all life it touches (into pokemon, although that name doesn't exist yet), so people have to start dealing with fire-breathing hedgehogs and such. People attribute it to all kinds of things including God's punishment. Some groups hold that humanity is a plague, and one of them builds a superweapon intended to destroy all humans where several fault lines meet (the Ultimate Weapon from X/Y). They manage to stop this, but about ten years later, a similar group uses magnemite (which were created in a lab in an energy experiment) to hijack a rocket launch and redirect an asteroid into the earth. Ground pokemon are used successfully to avert an extinction-level event, but it punctures the earth's crust (again in North America, which gets no breaks in my story). This event creates almost all the legendary pokemon in a final burst of energy (they're found afterward in the crater). Some of them go on rampages, but after a few years they're all dormant, hidden, or contained.

The world starts recovering again, although things like the internet are still basically out-of-commission. Several technologies have been developed based on pokemon energy (for example, a treatment for cancer, as it seems to mitigate radiation). The energy itself stops flowing after the asteroid incident, and the geographically rather separated remaining regions of the world start to form their own governments. Big infrastructure is globally rejected and sustainable communities (with the help of pokemon, who can replace a lot of heavy equipment and such) become the norm. Gangs are a problem, since pokeball technology more or less allows someone to carry an army with them, so proto-League groups form in opposition to them and become the de facto governments until they're formalized into the various Leagues.

Samuel Oak's grandfather Corey is in the middle of all this; pre-war he had a Master's degree in biochemistry and a Ph.D in theoretical physics, post-war he became one of the leaders in pokemon research. He and most of the other researchers hide or destroy most of their work in the wake of the two global catastrophes it's brought on, but sometimes Corey tells his grandson stories about the old days.
Woah, that's really detailed! I like how you tied together the altered geography, technology, and Kalos's history in, you did a really great job!

I have a couple minor questions, though- are fossil Pokémon altered by the rift energy, or are they changed using technology to survive in the new world? And AZ'a supposed to be from 3000 years ago-was this muddled from his long life and the war being so long ago, or is it something else?
The timeline won't ever fit. What I've come up with only fits about 100 years back, and according to pokemon anime history they've always been around (complete with ancient pokeballs etc). That said:

According to my history, the energy that pokemon have existed inside the earth and always has. In certain areas (i.e. volcanos, deep caverns, undersea vents like the Mariana Trench, etc) it could be released on a local level. Fossils have low-level exposure to it underground over millions of years, so while dinosaurs weren't ever pokemon, once fossil cloning becomes possible (as one of the emergent technologies) all the clones will develop as pokemon instead of their original species (this fits because to date, no one has cloned a dinosaur). A very few life-forms in a very few places (again, especially fault lines, deep caverns, and trenches) could be exposed and already have become pokemon in the present, so kyogre/groudon, mew, and a few others could already be in existence. Certain worship sites (like Stonehenge) could be based around natural energy upwellings, especially if they're near fault lines or are associated with the appearance of strange creatures. Az could have been associated with one of these (and maybe Stonehenge actually was a prototype Ultimate Weapon or something). Still probably not a full 3000 years old unless you bring Egypt into things, but I haven't worked anything out to that effect.

Some of the other time confusion, though not all, can be accounted for by a) people like the researchers actively sealing those parts of history away to prevent future nuclear war or Ultimate Weapons and b) superstitious beliefs, which probably become a lot more prevalent once mice become two feet tall and hurl lightning bolts - so several religions are formed around legendary pokemon and their existence is assumed to date back further than 100 years. That's the best I've been able to do; I know it will never fit entirely with established canon but it's not terrible.

One of the other "kinda cool" parts of my theory is that I figured out an explanation for evolution. All pokemon are born with energy, but it's not all in a stable state. The stable energy is what fuels their powers. The unstable part they can't use. As they mature, their energy levels increase. Eventually the unstable part hits critical mass (in some cases on its own, in others it has to be triggered by something) and the pokemon spontaneously decays into a more stable form. In this form, the total energy level is about the same, but more of it is available for the pokemon to use. Once all (or almost all) of a pokemon's energy has fallen into a stable state they won't evolve further, so the length of evolutionary lines is based on how stable that species' energy is to begin with. In general, legendary pokemon have entirely stable energy patterns, which means all of their considerable power is available to them and they only have one evolutionary form.
Well, the anime's not always totally always totally accurate to the games, but I guess the prevalence of a history like that is bound to make its way into the games.

That definitely makes sense! It could even fit into some of the ancient man-made Pokemon like Golurk and Baltoy, which, being ground types, are often in areas pretty deep in the ground!

Yeah, that works out great! It also fits in with Mega Evolution-the Mega Stones are speculated to have been brought about because of the Ultimate Weapon, which was placed at a point filled with that energy!
Following my backstory, the Ultimate Weapon is in the Middle East near the Black Sea, built on the spot where three tectonic plates meet since fault lines are where the energy is coming through. I didn't know that about mega stones though (I haven't played a canon game since HGSS), but it does seem to fit! I figured the evolutionary stones would be crystals that were impregnated with energy at some point.

Also, one of the big mechanical shifts I was talking about is replacing "happiness" with a bond system. I think happiness is far too simplistic for all the things it's supposed to do and represent so there would be different bond levels, and the way you'd improve your bond with a pokemon would change at different levels. As a short version:

Hostile: The lowest level. A hostile pokemon won't obey commands and may not fight at all. In double battles, they may turn on their partner. They may also attempt to flee, which forces a switch and makes the next pokemon lose an attacking turn.
Mistrusting: The lowest level you'll find a pokemon at in the wild. A mistrusting pokemon will frequently disobey and won't gain much experience.
Uncertain: This is the level newly caught pokemon will normally be at. Uncertain pokemon will occasionally disobey (though not often) and won't participate in non-battle exercises (i.e. super training, contests, etc). They'll also lose attack power ('confidence') if they take a critical or supereffective hit.
Willing: A willing pokemon will fight and do everything normally.
Trusting: A trusting pokemon gets a slight speed advantage (+5% or so).
Loyal: A loyal pokemon gets the speed bonus as well as a defensive bonus. Friendship evolutions would also unlock somewhere around here.
Special: This is the final level, hard to reach but worth it. Reaching a special bond with a pokemon allows mega evolution and/or Z-Moves and adds an attack bonus. They'll also occasionally survive KO attacks, as if they'd used Endure. Finally, a pokemon with a 'special' bond will be able to unlock their hidden ability (rather than it being a breeding thing), usually at a special place in the game.

As I said, there are different ways to improve a bond, but not all of them will work at all levels. For example, going to a massage/spa treatment won't improve your bond with a hostile or mistrusting pokemon. Keeping them from getting knocked out in battle will, but at higher levels that won't make as much difference. Getting a pokemon up to loyal or special level bond would require regularly using them in battle and would be negatively affected by things like leaving them at the daycare.
That sounds really neat! It's a great way to make the friendship system factor into the game more, and players would feel more attached to their Pokemon!
Pokemon Glass sounds cool if you need beta tester for the game i will help out with finiding bugs and errors that need to be fixed.