Poll: What aspects of this glitch, if any, should be fixed (AKA not be capable of being duplicated)? (More than one option can be picked)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
None. It should stay as is.
28.57%
2 28.57%
All. This glitch should be fixed in its entirety.
0%
0 0%
All Balls and Healing Items. Just the stuff that can be most abused.
28.57%
2 28.57%
All Balls. No free Balls, no matter what.
0%
0 0%
All Healing Items. NO FREE HEALTHCARE!
0%
0 0%
Master Balls
0%
0 0%
Nuclear Balls
0%
0 0%
Quick Balls
0%
0 0%
Pricy Balls (Ultra Balls, Luxury Balls, Repeat Balls, etc.)
0%
0 0%
Low Level Balls (Great Balls, Friend Balls, Love Balls, etc.)
14.29%
1 14.29%
Major Health items (Max Revives, Full Restores, Elixirs etc.)
0%
0 0%
High-end medicine (Revives, Hyper Potions, Carrot Wine, etc.)
0%
0 0%
Mid-Level Healing Items (Super Potions, Coconut Milk, Soda Pop, Full Heal, etc.)
0%
0 0%
Yellow Flutes
28.57%
2 28.57%
Berries
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] Beneficial Item Glitch (Please Read)
I would like to preface this by humbly entreating the community working on this game to NOT fix this glitch as there are more pressing matters like the issue with the water and fire type attack damage, not being able to restore the PP of a move other than the first one when in battle, etc. And this is nowhere near as significant a balance concern.

I didn't want to make this thread in the event that this glitch was found out and fixed before I could take full advantage of it, but much like with my compulsion to make the guides for Fusion: Genesis and Odin Sphere, I simply cannot keep this valuable knowledge to myself.

To the point, it is possible to use effectively an infinite number of almost any item. However, in terms of practical applications, it's most useful with regards to the Yellow Flute, and any Pokeball (aside from the Master Ball which I have yet to test). When playing, it's possible to trick the game into letting you use an item for free by manipulating multiple save files and the "Last Used Item" selection function: All you have to do is play the game and enter a battle. Then select the given item you want to use (you need at least 2 from the looks of it), select the "Don't Use" option. Leave the battle however you can (without closing the application outright), and exit to the main menu. From there, select a different file and enter a battle. From there, if you go to "your" items, the item you used in the previous file will be in the "Last Used Item" button to the left of the arrow to exit, even if you have none of that item in this file!

So, how does this translate to practical applications? After all, if you use the item one time, the game will look in your inventory, see that you have no others, and the option will disappear. Therefore, in order to use ANY health item or berry, not only would you have to save and go back to the other file over and over again, but game-breaking stuff like Rare Candies or PP Ups, or even things like the friendship berries are completely inaccessible! Well that's because the true usefulness of this glitch lies somewhat with the Yellow Flute... but especially Pokeballs.

For those who don't know, Yellow Flutes are already capable of being duplicated infinitely. Just use it on a Pokemon that isn't confused and another one will just magically appear in your inventory. This means that you can use the item glitch to effectively transfer a Yellow Flute to another file without having to go through the effort of setting up a trade with yourself through the GTS with a Pokemon holding the Flute. A slight convenience, but nothing compared to the utility when concerning Pokeballs.

See, again, the whole problem with healing items and berries is that the game constantly checks to see if the player has any items left in their inventory after they've been used. And while this is also true of Pokeballs, there's a loophole: You can only use any given ball a single time per file... unless you successfully capture a given Pokemon! i.e. if you throw a ball and it doesn't work, the "Last Used Item" spot will be blank, but if you succeed in your first attempt, the battle will end before the game can check your inventory, and the next time you enter a battle, the ball will still be there! And if you wish to take advantage of the glitch without depleting your own resources (Like... say... the only other Master ball or Nuclear Ball you might have.) Just store the desired item in the PC, switch to another file, select the item, and then go back to the aforementioned file, and your reserves will not be depleted!

Now most of the time, you're not going to be in a position where you're going to be throwing balls left and right, and catching everything on your first try, even with Ultra Balls, without some damage or status conditions. But in the early game, if you place Quick Balls in the "Last Used Item" slot... whoo boy! You're going to be set for a good long while... Repeat balls are great for use in conjunction with the Pokeradar (though by that point, especially with the Amulet Coin accessible fairly early in the game you'll likely have plenty of money to burn). But there are two other kinds of balls that are especially important for this glitch: Nuclear Balls, and Master Balls.

Master Balls are obviously ridiculously difficult to get one's hands-on, and even then, you're only likely to get one per save file. So having access to effectively an infinite number? Particularly for ball-breeders like myself that want to color-coordinate with purple pokemon like Sableye, Gligar, etc. (I forgot that Ball breeding doesn't work for the master ball... Sad )or check the IVs of Lanthan and Actan as quickly as possible, it would be fantastic! As for the Nuclear balls. Considering you only get like 20 of them in the game, and there's only a maximum of a 2% chance that you will get one from the Pickup ability, for those like me that want to catch Nuclear types en mass but don't want to spend an ungodly amount of time transferring them one at a time from different files for earlier locations, much less farm them in the first place. This glitch is a super convenient way to get a large sample size of Nuclear Types from parts of the game that can't be revisited.

I feel that, assuming that Master Balls can't, in fact, be transferred to other games anyway if Iron is to be believed, how even with 1,000 different Pokemon ID numbers there's still only a 1% chance that the lottery number that gets selected will match yours to get a Master Ball, the super finite Nuclear Balls especially when compared to the massive time investment necessary to get decent stats for feral Nuclears, the fact that game-breaking items like Rare Candies and PP Ups can't even be selected, the fact that the Ragecandybar item also can't be duplicated and potentially cause problems, etc. I again plead that this glitch NOT be fixed.

Does spamming the Quick Ball in the early game make things easier? Absolutely. Would spamming the Master Ball be even more broken? Yes, but given how much effort it takes to get one, the fact that you can get only one per save file unless you get ridiculously lucky, that multiple save files are almost mandatory to increase your odds, even a 1,000 different IDs nets you a 1% chance, and they can't be spread out everywhere through trade... Coupled with how few Nuclear balls are available, how tedious the transfer process is, and that only one of the areas with Nuclear Pokemon present can be revisited... On top of the fact that you can still break the game if you want to challenge-wise by just trading yourself high-level and max IV Pokemon, and I feel like this glitch shouldn't be fixed.

But, I suppose I should open this up, so in addition to obviously allowing comments, I'll make a poll so you can sum up your answers in the click of a button rather than a wall of text like I usually do.
֎▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬֍
▓ I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist in a world of misery.  ▓
Alright, so it looks like there was one little detail I was missing when I wrote this: From the looks of things, you need at least two of a given item in order for the glitch to work properly, as singular highlighted items will not appear in the recently used item slot. Plus, I just recently tested and confirmed Iron's statement that Master Balls cannot be traded via Pokemon holding them being traded through the GTS. Therefore, the only way to make the glitch work for Master Balls would be to win the Lottery not once, but twice.

Yikes...
A small addendum: Having a ball fail to catch a Pokemon or using a healing item in battle actually doesn't require saving, and quitting out to the main menu, going to the other save, selecting the item in battle again, running, quitting, then going back to the other save file to take advantage of the glitch.

The item in question being used can be used again even if it's a healing item or you failed to catch something, but only if after the use/failed catch you do not go back into your inventory and you either KO the opposing Pokemon or run away. This is a great time-saver for anyone trying to catch Nuclear Pokemon in Nuclear Balls but happen to fail to get something like a Nuclear Barand even when leaving it at 1HP and afflicting it with a status condition before throwing (As I've had that happen multiple times even when encountering them on Route 11 when their levels are as low as they can be).

The flip side to successfuly keeping the glitch active of course is accidentally screwing it up: Although you can set it up by selecting any item you have two of and just selecting "do not use" rather than wasting one even if you don't save, selecting "do not use" in the other file will stop the glitch from working and the "Last used item" will be blank again. So if you accidentally select a special ball or medical item too early your only option is to commit and use the item, and then wait until the next battle to try again.

(The following is explored and explained more effectively in a later post)
Also, as utterly insane as it sounds, it actually IS possible for the Master Ball to fail at catching something. The only thing crazier than that is what it can fail to work on: The Pokemon on the starting route.

I managed to get a second Master Ball to get the item glitch to work and created a new file, and on the way to the first town while chucking Master Balls all over the place some of them were breaking out of them! I don't remember which ones specifically they were (in terms of level or creature) but it got to the point where using the Quick Balls were actually able to catch them more consistently than the Master Balls.

The only thing that I can guess is that it's sort of like the Nuclear Gandhi glitch from the first Civilization game where Gandhi starts off at 0 for aggressiveness and doing something that reduces aggressiveness adds a negative value, but because aggression wasn't programmed to go below 0 it ended up looping around and becoming like 999. And in this case something super low-level and with a high default catch rate like a Chiynmunk or Birbie screws with the Master Ball's function so instead of a guaranteed 100% catch rate it ends up being like 0.000001% or something.
Another little note: This trick works in 99% of all encounters, but there's one instance where it breaks down a tad: The Xeno fight in the final Nuclear area. There's a preset encounter with Xenomites and Xenogens with preset EVs that deviates even from the Nuclear Hordes in that multiple catchable Pokemon are sent out one at a time, rather than via a double-battle format, so you may be tempted (as I was) to catch 4 Xeno mons in a row. However, because you can't use the same item multiple times in a fight (like the healing items), whatever ball was set to catch them will become unusable after the first throw if you try to select it again, regardless of whether you successfully catch one of them or not. So make sure you only catch one if you're using the glitch.
After a bit more thorough experimentation/analysis, I believe I understand the nature of how the Master Ball works (or doesn't as the case may be) when utilizing this glitch. You see, it's not just Route 1 where the Master Ball will fail, it's several routes, caves, and even when fishing where it can fail. However, I believe I know exactly why.

Because the Master Ball is extremely unique, not just with regards to its function as a held item, but also its method of acquisition, I believe the item itself has a kind of "trigger" on it. You see, when I remarked about the Master Ball's capacity to fail, I didn't test it extensively at all, because as it turns out, it does and doesn't have the capacity to fail on Route 1. The factor that determines guaranteed success or potential failure appears to be game progression.

When starting a new game, every Pokemon you encounter will have the capacity to break out of a Master Ball used via the item glitch, but as soon as you leave Rochfale Tunnel and get on Route 7 it will work like a charm. Why? Because Route 7 is connected to Bealbeach City, which is the one and only place where the Master Ball can be legitimately obtained. And while other items like various other Ball Types, Healing Items, etc. can't be found until later in the game, all of those items can still be held by Pokemon and traded to earlier parts of the game. Whereas, Pokemon holding Master Balls cannot be traded. My guess is that the Master Ball literally does not exist in the game in any capacity until the player reaches Route 7, where the data is "unlocked", and until then, because the game cannot access the properties of the Master Ball, the item defaults to the catch rate of a normal Pokeball, hence why Pokemon with even the highest catch rates like Chiynmunk, Birbie, Magikarp, Grozard, etc. can still break free.

So it looks like Quick Balls are the only thing one can use in the early game to get close to the Master Ball's attributes in the early game until reaching Route 7.
Yep, you nailed it. L specifically coded it that way, though - it's not a bug.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."