Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Err... Yatagaryu ?
I can respect your opinion, Revee, but its not totally indomitable threat; just one that require a lot of mind games to play around its strengths/weaknesses. Which can be a problem for low-entry players, but not one that can not be solved given time and experience. I also think that Catalytic has differing views on how it is checked or counterable, but take my opinion with a grain of salt...

I personally consider Luxelong a better counter than Encartress, imo, for the simple reason that it can CM/DD/DT (If you really want to be cheesy) , kill it, then pass on its Buff/Wish to someone else. Even if Yat. switches out, it still can set up and BP out of there to another greatful Pokémon. SubCM is also pretty nasty, if done at the right time too. That is just my preference, though; I just love me some Dragon types!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(10-30-2016, 05:05 AM)Reeveelution Wrote: these two comments above is why i say Choice Scarf Yata can be a thing. Alpico and anything Choice Scarf'd can be dealt with using Yatagaryu and hazards setup to thin their HP down for some good Draco Meteor Spamming. Also @Catalytic , im just giving an instance of what can happen, though in battle what will happen will either end very quickly or just end up in a series of switches after switches after switches, which i'll be honest; doesn't make the game very fun at all when you have a single battle lasting 70+ turns or more. Been there, done that. It makes me writhe in pain... QAQ

Meanwhile, I don't mean to get you triggered, but what i was trying to emphasize here is how unpredictable it is to check and counter Yatagaryu, and how it in return can effectively get rid of its checks and counters by really just changing its items, or by having a niche move that can make it harder to check and counter. Really. For an example, Yatagaryu gets Magnet Rise, which it can use before the opponent switches in a Ground-type user such as Laissure and Gliscor and other Choice Scarf'd mon that can use EQ like Baariette for an instance, just for an example. Yatagaryu can also run Choice Scarf to outspeed Alpico, which is the only Pokemon that naturally outspeeds Yatagaryu at base 132 speed; and once again, same goes with Choice'd anything like Laissure.

I'm not trying to say your argument is futile (though imo in the end, it can be because of how hard it is to check for Yatagaryu's movesets and items with hopes of not losing at least 1 of your party Pokemon before you can even counteract to it) but Yatagaryu exists in the right place and time to have many of its checks and counters effectively removed thanks to the somewhat limited Pokemon variety we have here in the game. Yes, its overall movepool is really lackluster, but yes, it has all it needs for the game.

P.S. @Catalytic, I don't mean to be that pessimistic, and if you didnt know me enough I wasn't one of the few people that wants Yata quickbanned. If anything I'm just sharing my views of how powerful and hard to check a Yatagaryu can be. As much as I have really, really mixed feelings about how sweeping is a... 'skill'... when you really just need some set up and and almost blatantly spam the right moves against the right opponents, I don't think I'm that pessimistic to degrade others of my opinions on Yatagaryu, or write a long comment about it to the point that you think that I am degrading myself. It is just.... nope. Just no. I just have some doubts and confusion here and there about how and why you can say such a stuff to another aged but retired competitive player like myself, if anything.

EDIT: At any rate, I have no qualms against Lanthan as a check and solid counter for Yatagaryu; just caution for Yatagaryu's Magnet Rise. Anyways, imo the runner up behind Lanthan as a check and counter against Yatagaryu is Escartress. Magnet Rise is a trivial matter to Escartress which can come with Ice Beam, and if Escartress has already decently set up stuffs like Stockpile (which im breeding on now yayyy), Yatagaryu can't do enough to take it down

I see your point. This comment has helped me clarify your position, and indeed I can see you weren't being pressimistic about your or others skills. It just seemed that way to me in your first comment. 

Choice scarf probably is the better item for a choiced Yatagaryu, but I still say it would be countered just by switching in one of the myriad of fairy or ground types in this game, like Lasuire. But I still understand your point and am wholly able to admit I'm wrong if choiced Yatagaryu becomes a thing. Skeptical of Magnet rise though, on the grounds that it really has 4mss and its other weaknesses are easily exploitable (hello Alpico) anyway.

But we'll see what happens in the meta. I agree we at least need to suspect this thing, neutral for now on whether or not a ban is worthy.