Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xenoqueen with Chernobyll
Lightbulb 
Before you post any comments on how broken this would be, hear me out first. THEN you can post how OP it can be. I want you to make an informed post, after all Big Grin ~!

It should be said that while Nuclear types are overwhelmingly powerful, they are, by the same token, unbelievably weak due to their Nuclear type. Super effective against most types is phenominal, but that is undercut when they hardly ever have a chance to use their might. This is mostly due to the fact that, by far and large, Corrupted Nuclears don't have very good Speed stat (With some exceptions), and since you can't breed the buggers, getting one with decent IVs is entirely up to the whim of RNGod. If they don't get the first move, or have ridiculous bulk/type advantage, most Nukemons go down before they could do anything!

So why not change this dynamic, at least in one way? Why not give those underused and scrappy mutants a leg or two up, so that they could at least get some use in the future competitive scene? This is where Chernobyl comes into play. While an ability only Omega Urayne has, it proves its' usefulness in keeping the monster alive against most assaults, barring cheese strats or just being overleved to the extreme. The problem with the ability, though, is that the ability is practically useless, technically speaking.

'How can that be, Windos? Didn't you just say that it helps keep it alive? Have you been drinking to much caffeine again?' To answer the later question, yes, but it does not make my future points any less valid. The key weakness to Chernobyl is, while it buff Uraynes defense, it only buff them. If CURIE was packing a full team of Nukemons, I'd say that the ability would have gotten its usage as a neat way to turn normal mechanics on its head. As it stand, all it does now is act as a safety net for the titan, which isn't much to those that prepare specifically for its might.

While normally its fine for Legendaries to have unique abilities, since some regular Pokémon usually have roughly equivocal abilities themselves, or have moves/playstyles that can overcome them, Nuclear type Pokémon are a bit different. Well, a lot different, but my point remains thus: they are far, far to fragile to make use of their Stats or typing before being taken out. One hit is usually enough to kill almost any of them, and the ones that miraculously survive usually are checked or counter before they can do anything. Steel type/ Speed Demons, anyone? Because of this, I believe that something has to be done, and giving Xenoqueen Chernobyl as an ability is certainly a step in the right direction.

'I can understand you point (or just are humoring you), but Chernobyl is still quite the game changer. Neutralizing or reducing Nukemon's biggest drawback by throwing on a random 'mon seems a bit rash. Especially since their is already a move called Fallout, which does everything that ability does, but also deal Nuclear SR damage every odd turn (For 5 turns). With that in mind, why are you pushing for such a radical change?'

Well, let me elaborate a bit more. Yes, the idea of propping up Nuclear's biggest weakness is distressing, but even with that in mind Nukemons are still very much counterable. A N-Tanscure under Chernobyl is still just as slow as before, and still can be taken out through its Darkness type if its Nuclear type weakness is caboshed. Most of the duel Nuclears have weak defensive typing and low speed, making them still possible to deal with under Chernobyl, but the weather would at least give them more of a chance to fight back. It would also invite more thoughtful strategies involving using and countering them, and givng the meta something to chew on is usually a good thing.

As for the move Fallout, their are two problems with it. One, only two Pokémon have this move: Uranye and the Xenoqueen line. The former isn't going to see use out of Ubers (if that), and the later, while faster than most Nukemon's, is still slow enough that it either needs team support to get it up in time, or require the player have a high amount of game sense. While both pre-requisites are doable, it does not make it any less risky/hard to pull of that team strat consistently. The other problem, while (hopefully) temporary, still needs to be address: Fallout is as buggery as a roach motel right now. Its has the SR damage mechanic and boosts Expunge's accuracy, its does not reduce weakness at the moment. The weather effect also ends the moment either of the Pokémon that were around when it was put up switches out. If you think that Fallout was going to help your team, think again! This problem can be fixed, but in the meantime, Nuclear Pokémon are not going to have it any easier...

Link: http://pokemon-uranium.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_(move)

So the question now is, "Well, what can we do now?" One answer is, of course, giving Xenoqueen Chernobyl as an ability. Whether it replaces one of its existing ones (*cough cough* Damp *cough cough*), or gets it as a HA, giving it to the xenomorph would be nothing but good for it. For one, it could actually reasonably utilize its higher HP and S.Def stats in other movesets much more easily, expanding the possibilities for it. The other thing is that its not restricted to Scarf sets or overly complicated setups, letting the bug become much more usable to the layman as a result. Making a group Pokémon more usable through one change? Noice!

'Wait, wait, hold up. I can see how much utility this change would create, I still think that giving it Chernobyl at bit much. And changing around a Pokémon stats and abilities. I think we all remember what happened last time that happened. Poor Dramsama....' Yeah, ok, I can concede that giving it Chernobyl as is would be a risky move. And don't remind me about Dramsama.... Well, why not change Chernobyl up for Xenoqueen? 

Instead of it straight up summoning Fallout, why not have it only do chip damage, reduce/neutralize Nuclear types myriad weakness, and only last a set amount of turns (5-7), and can only be triggered once? It would still be useful for Nuclears, but it would not overwhelmingly power them up at the same time. In addition, it would not stop the enemy team from stalling out or changing the weather, before going back to business as usual. If/when the weather runs out, Xenoqueen can either reset the weather with Fallout if it gets canceled/times out, and still have the SR mechanics of it. This change would allow counter play against Nuclear teams, as each side has to duke it out to take out/cripple the other side, before each can set up.

As for changing a Pokémon itself, yes, it can be a bad thing. Dramsama has not been the same since, and some moveset modification of the 'foreign' Pokémon are inane. But there are examples of it being a force of good. The biggest example I can think of is when they change M-Archilles ability from Rough Skin to Drought, and giving it access to Earth Power as an egg move. It was like a shot of energy to the ailing Yoshi lookalike, increasing both its viability and performance, bringing it up to par with its starter buddies. They didn't change its stats (to my knowledge) either, so just those few changes made it much better. If that is possible, can we at least be open to such changes to other Pokémon in the future? Maismedic could sure use Poison Heal as an ability....

'I can see you point, but I still think giving Chernobyl to Xenoqueen is not the right thing to do. Are their any other options that can be used?' The only one I can think of is messing with the stats of the monster itself. Giving it the same speed as Giegeroach (Base SPD is 88), or at least match it to other Pokémon with a base SPD of 85, would allow it more possibilities to set up Fallout without ability changes. That, and fixing Fallout, of course. If you can think of other solutions that I overlooked, though, then feel free to say them. This is just a suggestion thread, after all~

So to recap, I think giving Chernobyl, modified or not, to Xenoqueen, would help the increase the viability of Nuclear Pokémon (Nuclear Teams, anyone?). I don't think that it would break the game, but that is just my opinion. Now, its time to here yours~! Even if its, 'No, your wrong.'
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
You did quite the thinking while you were gone for days, huh? ^-^

Oh well, I was actually planning to give my Alienqueen the Fallout move... until you came up and claim it as broken ._. (forgive me my not-existent knowledge of this fact...)  

Anyway, I just read through your writing, and... that idea of yours (giving Xenoqueen the Chernobyl ability) and the reasons for it do not sound that bad, and I would agree just now. I may change my mind after collecting some practical experience in using stable Nuclear Pokemon, but we'll see about that in the future.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
I think it would be a good idea. I can see the potential of the Nuclear Type. To be honest, the only Nuclear Types i can see a threat, its Urayna Beta and Ganma form, and Nucleon. But if Xenoqueen have the Chernobyl it would be perfect! A true Queen of the Nuclear type, a true menace in the competitive. It would great. But a little change in the Stats would be cool too. A little more Speed it would be interesting to give the Nuclear just a little chance to strike back.
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
I think to repair Fallout and give it learnable to more nuclear pokemons would have more sense. If Fallout works well, it is more expensive by one move only then Chernobyl.
Due atmosphere reason, Chernobyl (instant nuclear catastrophe without move) should stay rare. Approximately as rare as real Chernobyl catastrophe, one in the world. Exclusive for a legenary pokemon, not common.
Nekra88 at Pokemon Uranium Wiki.
-------------------------------
I am looking for disable smileys (yellow circles) in all my posts and signatures forever. (I prefer text ones.)
I do not like discord. (This forum is clearer. In addition I am just registered here.)
I can get your argument from a thematic standpoint, but from a gamepoint, I still think it should be at least considered. Chernobyl is not that different from Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream, or Snow Warning, and I said that it could be changed/stalled out. Personally, I believe that its a long shot to get a Chernobyl HA on the queen, but I am arguing for it because it has so much potential to help Nukemons, and the ability is not isolated forever.

If they just fixed Fallout, and buffed Xenoqueen's speed a bit more (to 85 at minimum), that would make me more than happy, since a faster Xenoqueen means more Fallouts and less KO's~
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Fixing bugs and errors (por exemple not working Fallout) should be priority, shouldn't it? I mean, higher priority than new features.

In comparison another weather abilities, there is an easy-seen difference: weakness to nuclear type for nearly all types (except poison and nuclear itself). I guess it may be more risky to overpower and unbalance.

Just curious question: Why are you focused on Xenoqueen (to add Chernobyl)?
Nekra88 at Pokemon Uranium Wiki.
I am looking for disable smileys (yellow circles) in all my posts and signatures forever. (I prefer text ones.)
I do not like discord. (This forum is clearer. In addition I am just registered here.)
(11-10-2016, 12:10 PM)Nekra Wrote: Fixing bugs and errors (por exemple not working Fallout) should be priority, shouldn't it? I mean, higher priority than new features.
(...)

True words they're speaking here, Windos...

Prior to Patch 1.0.4, Fallout will summon a Thunderstorm instead.
   Nuclear Fallout will end prematurely if either Pokémon leaves battle.
   Nuclear Fallout does not appear to have any effect on the weaknesses of Nuclear-types.
Source: http://pokemon-uranium.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_(move)

I'd appreciate that increased Speed for Xenoqueen, though, not only because of Fallout.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
I do think that the move should be fixed as a priority, and changing Xeno's base speed would be an easier prospect to consider. The reason I want Chernobyl on it, though? I think the ability is just wasted on one Pokémon we'll never get, and that, by retweeking it and passing it onwards to Xenoqueen, would expands both of their uses. I don't think Chernobyl would overpower Nukemons, though, since most are not especially strong enough to make a serious impact, even with Fallout weather.

I like this idea.

It's not like legendary-exclusive abilities haven't been passed to nonlegendary Pokemon before, after all. (Drought and Drizzle themselves come to mind)

Xenoqueen's defenses are pretty decent, but its typing essentially cuts those defenses in half; and if any non-Urayne Pokemon is a fit for this ability it's Xenoqueen. Nuclear Pokemon can be really good, but they're so fragile that they deserve the leg up.

I will say however that giving another Pokemon access to Chernobyll is going to solidify quickbanning Nucleon and maybe Nuclear Jerbolta, but the first one was likely going Uber anyway and the second might stay OU regardless (since you can't breed for IVs).
Breeder's Discord

Please support a growing Roleplaying forum by voting here! You can vote once per day.
Glad to see that this idea has at least some support, eh? I agree that fixing what is broke should take priority, but I would like for devs to at least consider the possibility of Chernobyl Xenoqueen. Its presence would instantly qualify the slower Nuclear types for higher tiering, for starters, letting them see actual use in game. Its a tragedy that the stars of the show, Nuclear types, are just relagated to the dumps because of their poor typing...