Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did anyone else feel Maria was under-utilized?
Personally I've never taken gym leaders (or necessarily E4) to be fighting at full power. In the stories I write, Pokemon Master is an actual title and gives its holder some responsibility to respond to crises, so all of the leaders in the League system assess the trainers who come to challenge them and award badges based on whether they feel the trainer is progressing as they should be (although some GLs do get a little more competitive, but that's their prerogative). This would also be why they don't use six pokemon; they're presenting trainers with specific situations to assess how they respond.
(11-22-2016, 12:01 PM)Polaris Wrote: Personally I've never taken gym leaders (or necessarily E4) to be fighting at full power. In the stories I write, Pokemon Master is an actual title and gives its holder some responsibility to respond to crises, so all of the leaders in the League system assess the trainers who come to challenge them and award badges based on whether they feel the trainer is progressing as they should be (although some GLs do get a little more competitive, but that's their prerogative). This would also be why they don't use six pokemon; they're presenting trainers with specific situations to assess how they respond.

Yeah, but i consider that idea of the Gym Leaders not use his full power and strong Pokemon, i consider that cheating. Heck, how the trainer its prepared to fight against the Champion itself if his not taste a bit of power from what he will fight?
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
(11-22-2016, 12:24 PM)Spiritmon Wrote: Yeah, but i consider that idea of the Gym Leaders not use his full power and strong Pokemon, i consider that cheating. Heck, how the trainer its prepared to fight against the Champion itself if his not taste a bit of power from what he will fight?

(again, this is based on the histories and structure I use in my stories)
Well, they base it on the number of badges they have already (in general). Leaders will employ tactics of different power levels and cut battles off at different points. They're also people, so some of them will tend to go harder than others. The idea of leaders having stronger teams than they actually use is also supported in games like Platinum, where you can go fight the leaders post-story in a trainer bar and they all have teams of five strong pokemon in the 60s. They're still gym leaders, so obviously they're not taking those teams out against brand-new trainers.

The Champion is a different story. Champion and Master are two different things, and you can become a Pokemon Master without ever facing the Champion. If you do, you're going for glory and it's all-out. Championship fights are inherently on a different level from League fights.

...I'm going to have to start posting some of these headcanons somewhere.
(11-22-2016, 12:24 PM)Spiritmon Wrote:
(11-22-2016, 12:01 PM)Polaris Wrote: Personally I've never taken gym leaders (or necessarily E4) to be fighting at full power. In the stories I write, Pokemon Master is an actual title and gives its holder some responsibility to respond to crises, so all of the leaders in the League system assess the trainers who come to challenge them and award badges based on whether they feel the trainer is progressing as they should be (although some GLs do get a little more competitive, but that's their prerogative). This would also be why they don't use six pokemon; they're presenting trainers with specific situations to assess how they respond.

Yeah, but i consider that idea of the Gym Leaders not use his full power and strong Pokemon, i consider that cheating. Heck, how the trainer its prepared to fight against the Champion itself if his not taste a bit of power from what he will fight?

Not necessarily.  Can you imagine trying to take your Level 10 starter against a "full force" team of a Gym Leader?  That would be rather like taking a first-grader and trying to teach them college-level calculus! Exclamation

I think part of being a Gym Leader (especially being one of the first few that a Trainer will face) is knowing how to gauge the levels of their opponents and give them just enough of a challenge to encourage them to try their hardest and really fight for the badge, without being so difficult as to be almost impossible and discourage them.  Like anything else, Pokemon training is a learning curve.  It's part of a Gym Leader's responsibility not only to test the challengers that come to their Gym, but also to help encourage their growth (and their Pokemon's growth) so that when they do face the Elite Four and the Champion, they'll be ready for it.  You can't get that kind of growth striking someone with a full-strength team right out of the gate.
(11-22-2016, 05:42 PM)EeveeBailey Wrote:

Not necessarily.  Can you imagine trying to take your Level 10 starter against a "full force" team of a Gym Leader?  That would be rather like taking a first-grader and trying to teach them college-level calculus! Exclamation

I think part of being a Gym Leader (especially being one of the first few that a Trainer will face) is knowing how to gauge the levels of their opponents and give them just enough of a challenge to encourage them to try their hardest and really fight for the badge, without being so difficult as to be almost impossible and discourage them.  Like anything else, Pokemon training is a learning curve.  It's part of a Gym Leader's responsibility not only to test the challengers that come to their Gym, but also to help encourage their growth (and their Pokemon's growth) so that when they do face the Elite Four and the Champion, they'll be ready for it.  You can't get that kind of growth striking someone with a full-strength team right out of the gate.

Well, maybe you right. It could be almost impossible to a begginer trainer to fight a full team with 100 lv. It would impossible. But perhaps it is because i think only the stronger trainers deserve to become the "Champion". A Champion need more to have conection with they pokemons and heart. He need power too. Will without power or power without will its the same like nothing. Well, this is what i believe.
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
(11-22-2016, 06:19 PM)Spiritmon Wrote:
(11-22-2016, 05:42 PM)EeveeBailey Wrote:

Well, maybe you right. It could be almost impossible to a begginer trainer to fight a full team with 100 lv. It would impossible. But perhaps it is because i think only the stronger trainers deserve to become the "Champion". A Champion need more to have conection with they pokemons and heart. He need power too. Will without power or power without will its the same like nothing. Well, this is what i believe.
Honestly I agree with Eevee while gym leaders are strong I don't think the whole point is for them to show their true strength and utterly destroy your team right from the start. I think they are just there to help as building blocks to make the trainer understand the type system and fully use it on their quest to be the champion. Also they teach trainers that type matchup isn't everything and that you should come prepared for surprises like a water gym having a Swampert or something since you might be to reliant on that electric type to deal with the whole gym for you. I think that champion status should be obtainable regardless of what you start with or your status but only one who keeps on pushing to become better can reach the top of the ladder just like in real life.