Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] THE HUNT IS ON! An In-depth Guide on Pokeradar and HAs Hunting [Ver. 2.0].
(08-10-2018, 10:12 PM)EeveeBailey Wrote: * Fixed bug where PokeRadar chains would randomly break for no reason (Yes we ACTUALLY fixed it this time).

* The PokeRadar will now never select tiles you can not walk on (such as those under NPCs).

This is pretty self-explanatory and probably one of the most welcome changes for most people, especially for those who haunt that one patch of grass on Route 13 -- y'all know the one -- while looking for Duplicats.  See that Psychic trainer standing up there near the cave mouth?  Don't you just hate that guy?  Especially when he's standing right on top of the friggin' grass we need to go to??  Well, hate the poor guy no more (really, it wasn't his fault, he's just obediently standing where JV told him to stand), because now the PokeRadar will check to see if you can actually walk on the tile before generating a bush there.

* When the PokeRadar chain is maxed there will be a very slight chance (5%) that Pokemon will have improved IVs.

Improved IVs -- every breeder's dream!  But wait... what exactly does this "improved IVs" even mean?  Well first of all, let's point out two essential requirements here that need to be met before we even need to consider this: your chain has to be maxed (40+ encounters, just like maxing your shiny odds), and the game has to roll that 5% chance.  If you are so lucky (or persistent!) for this to happen, then when the wild Pokemon's IVs are generated at the start of the encounter, the game will randomly pick one IV that was assigned a value of less than 30 and magically turn it into a 31.  This means that roughly one in every 20 encounters will be guaranteed to be at least a 1IV.  This is especially good news for Duplicat hunters, as it means the odds of getting one of those smug little mischief-makers with multiple perfect IVs just got a little higher.  Maybe one day, the fabled legendary 6IV Duplicat will actually be reality!

And one little note that didn't make the changelog...

All of these are really awesome buffs to the PokeRadar, right?  The chaining problem has FINALLY been fixed at last, we've got a snazzy new look and sound, better odds at Hidden Abilities and perfect IV's... it's all a dream come true, nothing could ever be wrong or bad about PokeRadar ever again!  Well... with all of these improvements, then it would only make sense to give it a slight nerf to balance things out.

I can feel you all cringing already -- but I promise you, it's not a major nerf and it shouldn't be too noticeable of an effect on your chaining if you've already been following the hints that Monkey laid out in the guide (namely, always aim for the farthest bush).  Having said that, with this latest update, the probabilities of the chain continuing have been tweaked slightly, so you'll want to keep the new numbers in mind (especially when debating whether to go for the farthest green bush or the slightly closer red bush).

Previously, the probabilities of a chain continuing were (from closest to farthest) 50% / 80% / 100% / 100%, which basically meant as long as you got to one of the two farthest bushes, your chain was... well, almost guaranteed to continue, though as we now know, Repel's weird coding often got in the way of this.  With this new update, the probabilities are now (again, from closest to farthest) 24% / 49% / 74% / 99%.  Yes, this does mean that even always getting the farthest bush, you do still run the chance of a chain breaking.  But given all of the new benefits that the PokeRadar now grants, a 1% chance of failure is a pretty fair price to pay overall when you compare how things were before (also consider that it's better than the canon probabilities, which are 28% / 48% / 68% / 88%).  You still should now have every opportunity to max out those chains far more often than not!

Don't forget though: blue bushes will always be a 100% encounter rate, regardless of where they show up.  After all, how sadistic would that be to give you a blue bush that could break your chain?
"Fixed bug where PokeRadar chains would randomly break for no reason (Yes we ACTUALLY fixed it this time)"
Um... Yeah... About that... See, there have been times when I would enter the shaking grass patch, a battle would conclude... but then my chain would break for no reason... And this happened like five damn times...

I've only been using the radar outside the labyrinth so I don't have a huge sample size, but it's worth noting that the shiny Duplicats, Eevees, and even regular Duplicats are one of the main reasons to use the Radar in the first place. In my experience, the chain would randomly stop only when being right on the left-most edge of the grass, or the bottom left corner. I would defeat the Eevee/Duplicat or catch it but the chain would just stop for no reason.

If I were to guess, maybe it's possible that if the Radar does in fact account for where you can/cannot go, maybe it has a chance of spawning the grass right beneath the player and because it's so close it's super likely to break the chain. Or alternatively, the game tries to select the patch of grass the NPC is standing in, but because it's not allowed to do so, just glitches out and stops. That would be my guess anyway since only like 1 patch of grass tends to appear when you're near the very edge.

I will say that I'm VERY glad I read this before trying to go on another Duplicat-hunting run. A 5% chance for ONE 31 IV stat at a 40 chain?!? HA! That's not even remotely CLOSE to worth trying to build up a 40 chain when I'm lucky to get 20! Better to catch every one that I can and just pray to RNJesus. Especially since I've already gotten like 3 2-IV-Stat Duplicats and one with 30 in Speed, Sp DEF, and Sp ATK. without even breaking 30.

It seems like proximity still plays a part in the percentages though. I've had only a single patch of grass show up and the chain still continued fairly reliably when walking to it as long as it was sufficiently far away. Though I may try going for ones that don't seem super far off if there are enough of them in total that it would be statistically viable to test it out...

(01-22-2019, 10:01 PM)Iron Wrote: There's something I just learned today: If you summon patches of grass and none are very far away, you can wander around the patch of grass WITHOUT LEAVING the patch and WITHOUT ENCOUNTERING the special grass to recharge the pokeradar, and use it again until you get a greater number of patches.

Probably the most important information by far. I had no idea that you could manually activate the Radar a second time from within an existing chain to give yourself more options. Had I not read this, I'm all but certain that I would've never gotten 3 shiny Duplicats in one day. Also, given the fact that it's easily possible to encounter shiny patches of grass the second you start, it seems reasonable to assume that manually activating the radar without advancing the chain would still allow Shiny patches to appear. Thus, you could theoretically get to the maximum chain amount, then just ignore the patches and keep using repels and manually activating the Radar until a shiny patch appears.
֎▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬֍
▓ I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist in a world of misery.  ▓
֎▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬֍

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE HUNT IS ON! An In-depth Guide on Pokeradar and HAs Hunting [Ver. 2.0]. - by TheTainted_Wisdom - 01-15-2020, 12:24 AM