Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adventures in Sketching (a showcase and guide)
Sorry for the double-post, but it's worth pointing out here.

I've been talking with some people on the Discord who have informed me that Sketch does indeed work on Virtual Trainer. That definitely opens up some possibilities, although it feels a bit too much like an exploit to me and I personally doubt I will use it.

Spiky Shield has also been mentioned, which is apparently exclusive to Hinata's Whimsicott right now (what's with the movepools in this game?) and would be a strict upgrade over Protect on any set running Quick Feet. So that's worth considering.
(03-18-2017, 05:29 PM)explopyro Wrote: Sorry for the double-post, but it's worth pointing out here.

I've been talking with some people on the Discord who have informed me that Sketch does indeed work on Virtual Trainer. That definitely opens up some possibilities, although it feels a bit too much like an exploit to me and I personally doubt I will use it.

Spiky Shield has also been mentioned, which is apparently exclusive to Hinata's Whimsicott right now (what's with the movepools in this game?) and would be a strict upgrade over Protect on any set running Quick Feet. So that's worth considering.
Its your thread, mate, so you should not be two bothered making double posts in it, as long as they are relevant. Being able to use Sketch on VT's and carrying over the move to your save is a rather nice discovery, since their are no norepeatable double battles to engage in AND Sketch being currently bugged atm. I find this exploit, if we call it such, more of a boon if anything, as it allow a person far more flexibility in creating an optimal moveset for the rat artist....

I didn't know that Hinata's Whimiscott had Spiky Shield, so that is something for me to add to its moveset (With the caviant that you have only one opportunity to get it). As for getting Quiver Dance, one of the re-challangable trainers has a Nimflora if you have a high enough leveled party, so its possible to get it off them if you are patient enough. I think its the first Bug trainer you meet on the route leading to the rock gym town.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
Fair enough. One can never be quite sure how double-posting will be viewed.

Oh, that's right. Yes. Bug Catcher Sack, in Route 03. Forgot about that one. That's definitely the easiest way to get it, then (far better than trying to track down the 1% Frosthra or mess around with limited-availability trainers or the championship); it might end up being a little tricky, like Shell Smash was, but it's certainly feasible.
We used to automerge double posts but it screwed things up lol.
I'm fine with it as long as it's not spammy.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
Just made a minor edit to the initial post to add a few more double battles I'd overlooked, not that this is information is in any way useful so long as Sketch remains in its current form. I'm pretty certain the list is complete now though.

That said, a few more random thoughts.

I've been trying to think of sets that work better using a Quick Feet/(Protect or Spiky Shield)/status orb and drawing a blank. I think Raffiti is too fragile to really be able to afford the constant HP loss (even if you use a special-based setup with Flame Orb, rather than Toxic Orb) and won't be nearly as effective at sweeping without doing some kind of setup first. Let alone foregoing Focus Sash, though the effectiveness of that may also vary depending on how commonly used entry hazards end up being in this environment. Spiky Shield is still a good move to keep in mind, though. And there might be a Quick Feet set I'm just not thinking of.

The other conversation worth having is about Raffiti in a utility/support role. This is kind of what Smeargle ends up doing in a lot of environments anyway (especially when there aren't restrictions on Baton Pass) due to its lack of stats, and most Smeargle sets could probably still be relevant (to the extent the moves exist in Uranium anyway, I haven't looked into them a great deal yet). But that's not all. If we take Virtual Trainer sketching into account, then Raffiti becomes one of only two pokemon to currently have access to Defog (the other being Hazma, which Raffiti would have to sketch it from; it has to be over VT because wild Hazma won't know it at the level encountered and it will need to be taught via Move Reminder first). And Raffiti has a much better defencive typing than Hazma does (not that mono-dark is amazing, but it's a hell of a lot better than mono-nuclear), which ensures it will have better survivability.

I don't know enough about how support mons tend to function to be able to work out what else should go in that kind of set, honestly, but it might be worth thinking about. If nothing else, this gives Raffiti a solid role to play in metas other than OU/Ubers even if e.g. nuclear sweeper sets end up getting banned, though of course this will probably all change if Defog and Rapid Spin are made (more) accessible in a future update.
Sorry if I overlooked something, but.....
Why don't you just let wild Duplicat transform your poke with single move you want to sketch, and sketch it? I tried it and it actually worked.

Though, the fact that Hinata's Whimsicott uses Spiky Shield is surely interesting. I wonder if there's any other moves exclusive to enemies.

Online ID:232277
I'm Japanese and not a English speaker, sorry for bad grammars, spellings etc.
Good point. I didn't think about Duplicat, I think because the ones in Route 13 are too low-level to learn Transform (they only go up to level 32, and it learns it at 33) and that's where I generally end up fighting them. It looks like the ones in the Labyrinth are high enough level though; I'd forgotten they even show up there.

That's probably a better strategy then, yeah. Just use a pokemon that knows only one move, stall until it uses transform, swap out and sketch. This does probably mean that unless you're going after a status move that you can spam safely without killing the duplicat, you might want to invest in X items or something to use to safely waste turns until it transforms...

I've been looking to see if there are other enemy-exclusive moves and it doesn't seem to be the case, I think Spiky Shield is the only one I've come across so far.

There are a few moves that still can't be sketched this way - for instance, you definitely can't get suicide moves (Explosion, Memento, Fission Burst), although that's also true of the other methods available to us right now (you can only sketch those in a double battle where a pokemon with Damp is present, which we obviously can't do now because of the targeting problems). And there are still some moves that are unavailable due to not being learned by anything in the Uranium dex. But the Duplicat option does broaden options considerably, and it should be a lot easier to do than Virtual Trainer shenanigans.
(03-25-2017, 09:52 AM)explopyro Wrote: Good point. I didn't think about Duplicat, I think because the ones in Route 13 are too low-level to learn Transform (they only go up to level 32, and it learns it at 33) and that's where I generally end up fighting them. It looks like the ones in the Labyrinth are high enough level though; I'd forgotten they even show up there.

That's probably a better strategy then, yeah. Just use a pokemon that knows only one move, stall until it uses transform, swap out and sketch. This does probably mean that unless you're going after a status move that you can spam safely without killing the duplicat, you might want to invest in X items or something to use to safely waste turns until it transforms...

I've been looking to see if there are other enemy-exclusive moves and it doesn't seem to be the case, I think Spiky Shield is the only one I've come across so far.

There are a few moves that still can't be sketched this way - for instance, you definitely can't get suicide moves (Explosion, Memento, Fission Burst), although that's also true of the other methods available to us right now (you can only sketch those in a double battle where a pokemon with Damp is present, which we obviously can't do now because of the targeting problems). And there are still some moves that are unavailable due to not being learned by anything in the Uranium dex. But the Duplicat option does broaden options considerably, and it should be a lot easier to do than Virtual Trainer shenanigans.

Yep, Duplicats in Labyrinth are rare, but I still think it's better than sketching by enemy mons, or trying limited double battles.

As for several moves you pointed, assuring that it works as same as the canon games (sorry haven't tested them in Uranium)
Memento fails if there were no target. Give Choice Scarf to Poke with only Memento, for example, Linkite. Meet wild Duplicat, waste turns by items until it transforms, and after it does, use Memento. Your Linkite dies, and wild Duplicat's(transformed) Memento fails, as there's no target. Then send Raffiti faster than Linkite, sketch it, and it's done.

Explosion and Fission Burst are easier, as one of few Pokemon with ability Damp learns them: Xenomite familiy. If I'm correct, Damp prevent's yourself's exploding too, so poor Duplicat continues to explode while it's prevented by own ability.

Online ID:232277
I'm Japanese and not a English speaker, sorry for bad grammars, spellings etc.
Using Duplicat to transform is WAY easier. Plus, if you have a smoke ball held item, not even a Shadow Tag Linkite can force you to battle. Just run from fights until you encounter a Duplicat (the ones in the Labyrinth all know Transform so you don't need to wait for one that's a specific level), then spam the Yellow Flute combat item to waste turns until it tranforms, switch to your Ratsy/Raffiti, and Viola! You can Sketch 99% of all the moves in the game.
֎▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬֍
▓ I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist in a world of misery.  ▓
So, I almost made an oopsie by saying on the Wiki that the Whimsicott got updated to not have Spiky Shield when I realized that I somehow mixed up the Gym Leader's Whimsicott with that of the trainers in the Secret Garden area in Victory Road. Whereupon I found out that those same trainer's Daikatuna had Razor Shell despite it not being available in any other way. After updating the info since the gameplay note about it failed to mention the ability to find the move there I was wondering, does anyone else happen to know of any interesting moves besides Spiky Shield and Razor Shell that are only available on certain trainer's Pokemon that could be Sketched?

I know that Razor Shell isn't exactly the greatest move out there, but it and other moves would still be really interesting to have since it's impossible to get otherwise.

I also now remember from my comment that there were more than a few bonkers movesets for some trainers: "by using a Transforming Duplicat I found out that' CoolTrainer Mercury''s Chainite and Luchabra have Acid Armor... In a combination of moves that are only possible for Blubelrog (Acid Armor, Focus Punch, Drain Punch, and Poison Jab for both of them). And his Syrentide has Amnesia, Baton Pass, Psychic, and Hydro Pump. This despite the fact that there is literally nothing in the game that can learn Amnesia AND Baton Pass, except of course for a Raffiti that sketches."
▓ I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist in a world of misery.  ▓