Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPGs and Genre Exploration
(05-26-2017, 09:08 AM)Polaris Wrote: I'm currently trying to develop a tabletop system using Magic cards. Essentially each character would be defined by a set of cards they could build up over time following something like the regular rules of Magic. Encounters would be pulled from small, thematically-appropriate decks (ten or fifteen cards each, but there'd be a lot of them) and players would work to acquire more spells and connect to new lands (to fuel said spells) as time went on and they traveled to different places. It should have the advantage of (once I've worked the rules out) being easy to pick up for Magic players and something that should be easy enough to put together (if there's one thing EVERY. SINGLE. Magic player has, it's a box or ten of extra cards they'll never have a use for).

Have you taken a look at Paizo's 'Pathfinder Adventure Card Game', White Wizard Games' 'Star Realms' or Catalyst Game Lab's 'Shadowrun Crossfire'?
I think there's plenty of mechanical inspiration which could be borrowed from them.

If I'm not wrong, the PFACG and Star Realms both have free digital versions of the game so you can potentially get a test drive there.
Shadowrun Crossfire has a print and play introductory set hiding in some dark part of the internet, I think.

EDIT: The Catalyst Game Labs website is on one of it's interminable outages. You can find a copy of the P&P demo here.
Oh, why haven't I brought up anything to this Thread yet...?

Eh, in fact, I actually did only textual RPing so far, where mostly I developed the story. Nothing really big though. Knew that tabletop RPGing exists, but missed something that would initiate contact with them - then you came and brought up PokeRole! <3 Noticed for myself that it's rather awesome and enjoyable (yet a little time-consuming sometimes) and once Iron's campaign has been wrapped up, I might feel inclinged to look into either Pathfinder or Dragon Age.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
Given the quality of material Iron has set up in the world building, I'd say wrapping up is probably a long way off.

That said, While time commitments are the primary problem with most Pen & Paper RPGs, the beauty of the genre as a whole is in the different types of stories everyone has to tell. Even for a system inspired by a single set of source material like Pokerole, if you give two different GMs an identical set of system mechanics, you're going to end up with two radically different game worlds and two entirely different stories.
(05-27-2017, 09:20 AM)Dies Irae Wrote: Given the quality of material Iron has set up in the world building, I'd say wrapping up is probably a long way off.

Probably, yes. But I love this.

Second point is comprehensible as well - after all, the Corebook just gives the rules and mechanics. What you do with them is your call, that's probably what makes every game session unique.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
I was thinking my campaign would take about a year. It took 1.5 months to do one gym badge, x6, plus Elite Four and so on. But that's really up to the players!

I agree that different DMs have a drastic impact on things. I'm currently playing in a campaign with a DM trained by me, on the same homebrew planet as me, using the same ruleset as me, with many of the same players...and it's still drastically different.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
I actually would love if this game lasted a whole year, since that sounds especially fun~ Can't wait to see what you have in store!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
One year sounds good! I'd be down with that. Might even take a little longer or gets stalled accidently at some points because of holidays like Christmas, where not everyone might have the time to come to this board to play.
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
Went on my regular internet gaming news trawl. Noticed Paizo was having a PDF sale on a good chunk of their Pathfinder range on their website until June 4th.

If nothing else, snagging the Inner Sea World Guide PDF (from the Campaign Setting section) for US$7.49 is an absolute steal for a 322 page full colour book.
I own it in print. It's a very pretty book with plenty of reading material.

Even if you don't actually care for Pathfinder as a system, their setting books are just fantastic for the quality of rules agnostic setting content (especially at that price tag).
Since I'm apparently the forum's resident crazy RPG fanboy...

I was rummaging around a bit, and since I chanced upon the link again, here's the Star Wars REUP, a fan project which neatly polished up the old (and long since out-of-print) West End Games Star Wars RPG and its legendary D6 system. Like Pokerole, it's is an incredibly polished piece of fan work.
Tabletop Audio

I was introduced to this by a customer and I've since started using this in the background at my tables when I run games.
Ambiance music is always useful, even for quiet scenes.