Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] Competitive Analysis: Neopunk
(06-06-2017, 12:00 PM)Lord Windos Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 11:42 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 05:43 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Perhaps its me just being a bit petty, but it seems like the Discords have totally surplanted the forums, and that just bums me out mate...

Not petty. Same with me. It's a bit painful to watch, indeed...
But at least we two are still standing and have been constantly posting since joining, have we?

Indeed, my love. Funny how we just started off in a Cookie Thievery relationship, and it grew from there~ Glad to have you with my, my dearest darling...

Me too. *hugs lovingly* It all started with cookies. They're evil! But so tasty.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(06-05-2017, 08:46 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Psychic/Electric might be an awkward offensive combo, but keep in mind that only six pokemon resist the type combination in Uranium, two of which are the punks themselves.  And while 3 of the other 4 are rather awesome pokemon, and the 4th is completely immune to that combo, bringing checks and counters for them helps mitigate the issue somewhat.  You won't hit a great deal super effectively, but not much will be able to resist your attacks either, which is great on a boosting set.  So basically, it's the same deal as the coverage options you listed.
Agreed.

(06-05-2017, 08:46 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: As for Trick Room, I just looked at the speed tiers to see how viable that might be.  Here's the pokemon that can strike it with a STAB super effective move and outslow it in trick room:  Cocancer without a Shell Smash, Lanthan, Anderind, Seikamater, Beliaddon, Chainite, Umbreon, Tubareel, Sableye, non-mega Drilgann without a Sandstorm, Escartress, and Herolune.  Unless you're facing a Trick Room team, you probably don't have to worry about any of them too much (they're all 60+ base speed bar Sableye, Herolune and Cocancer being the slowest), but 80 speed is a lot for a trick room user.  Plus, Praseopunk might have okay bulk, but it's not spectacular sitting at 85/85/70.  Setting up a trick room might be more difficult than it's worth, and you'll probably only pull it off twice at maximum in ideal conditions.

But, as you said, Trick Room could be fun.  It doesn't have to be a super serious set all the time, right?
Actually, considering how popular Speed monsters like Inflagetah, Archilles, Scarf Nucleon and Laissure, Yatagaryu, N-Jerbolta and Speed Boost Tracton seem to be at the moment, finding a decent sweeper only slower than those might be an easier task than one would think.
But other than that,yeah you're right, the problem is that Trick Room setters don't exactly have what it takes to function efficiently (yet?) here. Or maybe I'm talking because I don't have every setter in mind, the wiki is lacking info on that particular point.

(06-06-2017, 11:39 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Nice Guide! I wish I could give constructive critique... But I'm not enough into real competitive play to do so. Still I enjoy reading Guides from time to time if the 'Mon is interesting!

I personally apperciate a different move than Focus Blast as shademonkey suggested, simply because the 70% change to hit at all is a little too risky for my taste. Fail with that move when the opponents has a Dark Type on field, and Neo's dead. Energy Ball is my favorite here, followed by Dazzling Gleam.

Oh, and nothing stops you from joining the Breeder's Discord. It can be a nice place, indeed (But I personally grew reluctant of it...) Even less stops you from starting with breeding good Pokemon again!

Suggestions for more guides... I really like Coatlith, but this 'Mon seems pretty straightforward if looking at its Stats and move pool. The Minicorn-Evolutions would be interesting though, since I feel the little unicorn is quite versatile.
I'm working on writing a guide on Krilvolver, Frikitiki and Fafninter but have been delayed by irl stuff. I won't mind if anyone beats me to it though, I'd still be glad to criticise the work of others if need be.

~Thanks Phantom Wink
I'd be more than happy to see some content from you, since you seem to have so many wonderful ideas, mate! Perhaps I should get started writing that Chainite guide, given that I've done the other 2 Ghost Pokémon in Uranium...
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(06-06-2017, 02:48 PM)shademonkey Wrote: Actually, considering how popular Speed monsters like Inflagetah, Archilles, Scarf Nucleon and Laissure, Yatagaryu, N-Jerbolta and Speed Boost Tracton seem to be at the moment, finding a decent sweeper only slower than those might be an easier task than one would think.
But other than that,yeah you're right, the problem is that Trick Room setters don't exactly have what it takes to function efficiently (yet?) here. Or maybe I'm talking because I don't have every setter in mind, the wiki is lacking info on that particular point.

Well, let's also consider that Archilles, Inflagetah, and N-Jerbolta tend to run priority that's +2 or greater, first of all.  Nucleon can also run Quick Attack to great effect, if not devastating.  Priority kinda neuters the speed reversal if you don't have priority of your own.  

From a quick glance at the wiki, it also looks like most Trick Room users are either Psychic or Fairy type, with two ghosts in Antarki and Mismagius.  And the ones I saw all had 75+ base speed except for Miasmedic and Aromatisse (who have that 29 base speed)  Not that that's much different from the main series games, though there's a distinct lack of Normal Types able to learn Trick Room in Uranium...

Trick Room is technically still usable in Uranium, I guess.  But the pieces aren't quite as solidified as in the main series.  There's also good reason the move is most common in the multi pokemon battle formats such as Doubles.
(06-06-2017, 02:48 PM)shademonkey Wrote: I'm working on writing a guide on Krilvolver, Frikitiki and Fafninter but have been delayed by irl stuff. I won't mind if anyone beats me to it though, I'd still be glad to criticise the work of others if need be.

Frikitiki, yay! Make sure to take a look at the egg moves available for that monkey, because I personally think they're great and somewhat useable. (Haven't started breeding them yet, though)
You're welcome. Spotted that by chance.~
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
(06-06-2017, 03:29 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Well, let's also consider that Archilles, Inflagetah, and N-Jerbolta tend to run priority that's +2 or greater, first of all.  Nucleon can also run Quick Attack to great effect, if not devastating.  Priority kinda neuters the speed reversal if you don't have priority of your own.  

From a quick glance at the wiki, it also looks like most Trick Room users are either Psychic or Fairy type, with two ghosts in Antarki and Mismagius.  And the ones I saw all had 75+ base speed except for Miasmedic and Aromatisse (who have that 29 base speed)  Not that that's much different from the main series games, though there's a distinct lack of Normal Types able to learn Trick Room in Uranium...

Trick Room is technically still usable in Uranium, I guess.  But the pieces aren't quite as solidified as in the main series.  There's also good reason the move is most common in the multi pokemon battle formats such as Doubles.
I'll do more research on the matter then. Brainoar would be a perfect user stat-wise... if it only learnt the move.

(06-06-2017, 03:42 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Frikitiki, yay! Make sure to take a look at the egg moves available for that monkey, because I personally think they're great and somewhat useable. (Haven't started breeding them yet, though)
I have a few 4 IV Ha and non-Ha Tikiki with Close Combat, U-turn and Flame Impact if you want to get started
I noticed that Tikiki also learns Agility and Swords Dance as egg moves, but have not chained em yet
(06-06-2017, 04:53 PM)shademonkey Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 03:42 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Frikitiki, yay! Make sure to take a look at the egg moves available for that monkey, because I personally think they're great and somewhat useable. (Haven't started breeding them yet, though)
I have a few 4 IV Ha and non-Ha Tikiki with Close Combat, U-turn and Flame Impact if you want to get started
I noticed that Tikiki also learns Agility and Swords Dance as egg moves, but have not chained em yet

Why chain them though when you can breed them all onto the pokemon using Raffiti because it's in the field egg group?

I also find it REALLY strange that some pokemon in Uranium can learn a move by breeding, but not via the TM that teaches it.  Why does Frikitiki need to get Swords Dance and U-turn through breeding when the TM should be able to teach it to them just fine?
Oh, I already own a 5IV breeding couple of those monkeys, with HA if I'm not mistaken - snatched during a WonderTrade Event. But thanks a lot for the kind offer!
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
(06-06-2017, 05:00 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Why chain them though when you can breed them all onto the pokemon using Raffiti because it's in the field egg group?

Because this would steal the fun I have with egg move breeding. Even if it would get faster with Raffiti, most likeIy, but I simply dislike that. Sorry!
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
(06-06-2017, 05:00 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: [quote pid='15901' dateline='1496786020']

[quote pid='15885' dateline='1496781776']

I also find it REALLY strange that some pokemon in Uranium can learn a move by breeding, but not via the TM that teaches it.  Why does Frikitiki need to get Swords Dance and U-turn through breeding when the TM should be able to teach it to them just fine?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I encountered a similar problem when I tried to teach my Dunsereph Stealth Rocks, only to learn that it can only get the move through breeding. Given its stalling capabilities, I find it particularly engregous that it simply can't learn the darn move through a TM, instead of having to jump through hooptas to get the move on it...

If they is one thing I want more than anything else, is for them to add all the missing move into the game, and enable all the Pokémon in the game to learn every one of their moves in their learnset/breedset/TM Pool. Hazards would not be such a problem, and Genderless Pokémon deserve to have access to all their moves one way or another!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650