Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] Competitive Analysis - Metalynx
[Image: latest?cb=20160817132410]
Introduction

Metalynx is one of, if not the most powerful Grass-type Pokémon in Uranium’s metagame. A great movepool, stat spread, typing and a Mega Evolution give to Metalynx something that most players seek in a Pokémon: versatility. In fact, the Armored Pokémon has such a wide variety of sets that it can fulfill almost every role: wallbreaker, physical wall, special wall, late-game sweeper. It all depends on what you need. Metalynx is capable of reliably checking many threats such as Mega Electruxo and Mega Syrentide while more offensive sets are capable of sweeping through many teams, thanks to Metalynx’s nine resistances and base 140 Attack stat in it’s Mega. After Fighting-types and Fire-types are removed, Metalynx can easily clean the rest of the enemy team, especially after a boost. However, Metalynx does suffer from it’s base 65 Speed stat, as it can’t outspeed most of the metagame trends. Actually, Metalynx is one of the slowest fully evolved Pokémons in Uranium, something that really hurts it’s sweeping capabilities, as it doesn’t have any sort of Speed boosting move such as Dragon Dance or Rock Polish, relying on it’s teammates support to lay, for example, Sticky Web in the enemy side or spread paralysis.

Metalynx’s Qualities

Metalynx’s Grass/Steel typing provides nine resistances and one immunity to very common types in Uranium, and, paired with it’s nice 85/115/100 spread on bulk in it’s base form, Metalynx is able to effectively wall a lot of Pokémons that doesn’t have the necessary coverage. Even in it’s base form, Metalynx is able to reliably check Yatagaryu that lacks Focus Blast (something very rare, though) and survive three hits from Scarf Nucleon’s Atomizate-boosted Hyper Voice, being one of the few Pokémons in Uranium’s metagame that can survive more than two hits from the three-eyed nuclear monster. It’s Mega Evolution has even more walling capabilities with a 85/160/110 spread, and it can be extremely hard to worn down since Metalynx is immune to all forms of passive damage apart from burning, Thunderstorm and Hail. However, Hail is very uncommon, Thunderstorm, to which Metalynx is resistant, is only seen in Yatagaryu teams, and, as far as I know, Will-O-Wisp is unavailable right know as a TM , so burning can’t be considered a common form of passive damage as it’s limited to a very few Pokémons that learns it naturally (Pajay, for example). Mega Metalynx also excels as a late-game cleaner, thanks to it’s resistances, bulkiness and high Attack stat. All you need to do is remove it’s checks and counters - Fire-types and Fighting-types - and then there’s nothing your opponent can do: just wait until Metalynx takes every single enemy down. There’s not many Pokémons that can take a neutral hit from a +1 Metalynx, and almost none that can survive two hits. Alongside all of that, Metalynx also has a wide movepool, and can run entirely defensive sets or go for full offensive sets, making it one of the most versatile and unpredictable Pokémons in Uranium.

Metalynx’s Sets

Specially Defensive
Metalynx @ Metalynxite/Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Synthesis/Leech Seed
- Toxic/Earthquake
- Leaf Blade

This set focuses mainly on Special Defense, as the name suggests. Most of the things that Metalynx will be checking are special attackers, so running full investment in Special Defense pays off. With that spread, Metalynx is able to survive at least three Hyper Voices from Scarf Nucleon and retaliate with a super effective move - all of that without Mega evolving (although it’s Mega Evolution doesn’t give a huge boost in Special Defense). Furthermore, Metalynx is able to reliably check many top tier threats such as Yatagaryu’s variants that lacks Focus Blast and Mega Electruxo. After Mega evolving, it not only can check special attackers, but can also check some physical attackers thanks to it outstanding Defense stat, which makes Mega Metalynx one of the greatest walls the original devs has ever made. Iron Head is a great Steel-type STAB to hit Fairy-types such as Luxelong and Oblivicorn super effectively. Meteor Mash is another Steel-type STAB, but as dealing as much damage as possible is not a concern, Iron Head is a much more reliable move. Leaf Blade is the best Grass-type STAB Metalynx gets, and can be used to deal with Pokémons such as Mega Electruxo and Mega Syrentide. Synthesis is a great recovery move for regaining 50% HP in most cases, although it is affected by weather. Leech Seed can be used in this slot for passive recovery and stalling the opponent to a certain extent, although that’s not the intention of this set. Toxic is used to spread status and cripple sweepers and walls. Earthquake can be picked over Toxic for hitting Fire-types that may switch in, but, for the purpose of this set, Toxic is a better option.

Physically Defensive
Metalynx @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers/Metalynxite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
Iron Head
- Synthesis/Leech Seed
- Toxic/Earthquake
- Leaf Blade

This set is almost exactly the same as the specially defensive set, it’s just more focused in Defense, and therefore I won’t spend too much time talking about it. Physically defensive Metalynx can be used as a reliable check to most physical attackers in Uranium’s metagame, such as Oblivicorn and Theriamp. Mega Metalynx can be used to check almost every non-Fighting and non-Fire physical attacker in the game with it’s outstanding base 160 Defense stat, because it is so bulky that most neutral hits from non-boosted physical attackers won’t do much to it.. However, unlike it’s specially defensive variant, physically defensive Metalynx can’t be used to reliably check both special and physical attackers, as it’s Special Defense stat is no more than decent, and thus it’s not advisable to use it as such. 

Swords Dance
Metalynx @ Metalynxite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

And here it’s the offensive set for Metalynx! Well, Mega Metalynx was blessed with, besides an outstanding Defense stat, a great base 140 Attack stat, thus giving it the ability to run viable offensive sets such as this one. Although Metalynx won’t be able to outspeed most Pokémons, full investment in Speed gives it the opportunity to outspeed Modest Sylveon and Brainoar. Furthermore, you shouldn’t run a Jolly Nature, as sacrificing Attack for more Speed isn’t worth it, unless outspeeding Jolly Herolune is a need to you. Anyway, thanks to it’s many resistances, Mega Metalynx can sweep through almost every team in the late game after a boost, as long as there are no Fighting-types or Fire-types that can ruin it’s sweep. It can take down the most prominent walls in the Uranium’s metagame easily. Even the game’s toughest physical walls can’t do anything against Swords Dance Mega Metalynx. At +2, it’s most likely that Metalynx will kill anything in it’s way as long as, again, there are no Fighting or Fire types in the enemy team. Meteor Mash is slighty stronger than Iron Head, although less accurate. However, since in this set we’re looking for causing as much damage as possible, every single number in BP counts. Leaf Blade remains the best Grass-type STAB in Metalynx’s movepool and therefore the best anti-Water/Ground move available to it, and a much more reliable move than Meteor Mash. I should mention that not many Water-types can take more than one hit from that move, as most of them are special walls or frail attackers. Earthquake is the best choice as a coverage move to hit Fire-types. Even if Metalynx can’t outspeed any Fire-type in Uranium, it can still predict a switch and, if not kill, severely hurt the said switch. Swords Dance, obviously, is our way to turn the green cat into a killing machine. As I said before, +2 Metalynx can kill anything that’s neutral to it, and even Pokémons that resist it’s STAB moves won’t appreciate taking one of them. All you have to do is wait for Metalynx’s counters - Fire and Fighting types - to be removed so you can set up safely and sweep through the enemy team.

Stall
Metalynx @ Metalynxite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head/Leaf Blade
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Protect

This set is very similar to the Specially defensive one, although more focused in stalling the opponent to death. For that purpose, Leech Seed, Synthesis and Protect are the best moves available. As I said before, Mega Metalynx is so bulky that most attackers - physical or special - will have a hard time trying to take it down while Mega Metalynx drains their lives with Leech Seed and heal itself with Synthesis. As long as you play it correctly, Mega Metalynx will be able to kill many things just by stalling them as coupled with it’s extraordinary Defense stat there’s an exceptional Attack stat, a lethal combination that may prove very hard to overcome without a dedicated stallbreaker - and even so, there are only a few good stallbreakers that can handle Mega Metalynx, namely Mega Baariette and Beliaddon. Besides these two Pokémons, there are a few non-dedicated stallbreakers that can deal with Mega Metalynx, such as Garlikid and Mega Inflagetah. I should note too that most Fire-types can be used to take down Mega Metalynx, as almost every Fire-type is a natural check to it. We will talk about that later in the next section. Anyway, besides these said Pokémons, there aren’t many options remaining. Being able to hit Mega Metalynx for super effective damage is the only way to defeat it, as Synthesis + Leech Seed will easily mitigate the damage from neutral hits. In the first slot you can choose between Metalynx most reliable STAB moves: Iron Head and Leaf Blade. Iron Head can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Winotinger and Luxelong, while Leaf Blade will enable Mega Metalynx to take down Water-types and Ground-types. I prefer Leaf Blade, as without it Mega Metalynx will actually lose to Ground-types that it would otherwise defeat. One last thing: you don’t have to run Metalynxite in this set, as normal form Metalynx is already a very good staller. As you won’t have to waste your item slot with a Mega Stone, you can give Leftovers to Metalynx, which provides great passive recovery. For that reason you don’t have to run Leech Seed and can use Toxic in the second slot instead, which is another awesome move that fits well in a Stall set. Toxic is even better than Leech Seed to worn down the opponent, as the damage increases every turn.

Metalynx’s Checks and Counters

Fire-types: Almost every Fire-type has the ability to reliably check any Mega Metalynx’s variant that lacks Earthquake. I should note, however, that not every Fire-type is able to OHKO Mega Metalynx’s defensive sets. Actually, only Choice Band Beliaddon and Mega Archilles are able to OHKO Mega Metalynx, and even so only Beliaddon can safely switch into Mega Metalynx, as Mega Archilles will take about 70% damage from a Leaf Blade. Anyway, most Fire-types can, at least, 2HKO Mega Metalynx, which is already great considering how difficult is to take down that beast.

Fighting-types: Fighting-types, such as Mega Baariette and Garlikid, can hit Metalynx with powerful STAB moves and quickly bring down the Armored Pokémon. The only drawback in using Fighting-types to check Metalynx is that none of them, besides Garlikid, resists any of Metalynx’s STAB moves, and most of them won’t appreciate taking a neutral hit from Mega Metalynx. However, once they’re in the field, they can easily defeat Metalynx with their STAB moves. Most of them can’t OHKO the cat, though. And there are a few ones that can’t switch into Mega Metalynx safely every time: Herolune is weak to Leaf Blade, Majungold is weak to both Leaf Blade and Meteor Mash/Iron Head, and Winotinger is weak to Meteor Mash/Leaf Blade. Besides these particular Pokémons, any other Fighting-type can take down Metalynx as long as they don’t die to a neutral hit in the switch, of course.

Metalynx’s Team Options

As I said before, Fighting-types and Fire-types can destroy Metalynx, so Water-types, Flying-types and Psychic-types can be used to cover these weaknesses. Brainoar is a good teammate that can check both Fire-types and Fighting-types but can’t deal with Mega Baariette. Syrentide is another awesome partner, even better than Brainoar, as it can check, alongside Fire-types and Fighting-types, Mega Baariette, something Brainoar can’t, and Metalynx can check Electric-types and Steel-types that threaten Syrentide. Terlard can switch into Fire-types, trapping them and KOing them with a super effective Ground-type move, and can lay Stealth Rocks/Spikes to help in a Mega Metalynx’s sweep. Gyarados is a decent partner as it can check Fighting-types and Fire-types. Gliscor, although neutral to Fire, can switch into Fighting-types and deal with Fire-types too, and can lay Stealth Rocks as well. Gargryph is another Stealth Rock setter that’s also an amazing partner to Metalynx, covering it’s weakness to Fire, although weak to Fighting-types too. Laissure can set up Rocks and deal with Fire-types. Sticky Web setters can be good partners as they’ll make possible for Mega Metalynx to outspeed it’s opponents, although the only viable Sticky Web setter right now in Uranium is Seikamater. I’d suggest Trick Room support, but there isn’t a single good Pokémon that can provide that kind of support in Uranium’s Pokédex.

And there it is! I finally finished revising this guide and had the time to post it here. I hope I didn't missed anything, 'cause I did my best to bring to you guys the most complete guide as I could. Hope you enjoy it, and give me some feedback, it'll be much appreciated!
I like your guide, but I there are a few issues I'd like to point out. For one, you could just Merge the two sets into one, and just provide and alternate EV spread next to the the Defense/Special Defense spread (depending on how you order them). I would not be too hard to rewrite and add more to the description of the first set, if it removes necessary redundancies.

The Stall Set also leaves a little more to be desired for. You don't have to run Metalynxanite 100% of the time, as it can function just fine with Leftovers instead. If that was added, then either sythesis or Leech Seed would not be an absolutely necessary combo. That leaves it the option to have other stall moves, like Toxic or Iron Defense, to fill in the gap, or for you to run both Leaf Blade and Iron Head. It also allow the set to be sloted in with team with other Mega Evolution in use, as they don't have to make excessive changes to their battle plan. You also forgot to mention Meteor Mash as another option for a Steel STAB. While it has a small chance to miss, its stronger than Iron Head, and has a chance to boost its attack without outside setup. It would have to deal with a 4X weakness to Fire to compensate, but its not like it will stay out against one if the trainer has any sense.

In the counters section, you didn't point out another big weakness of Metalynx: Status. Toxic from anything would ruin its ability to stay out, Burn (Which can be breed onto all field group Pokemon, if Ratfitti sketches it) neuters it, and Sleep is self explainatory. Paralysis by itself it not much of a deterent to the steel tiger, if combine with either Confusion, Flitching, or both (Hello Dunsereph~!), it makes it borderline impossible to use. Taunt makes Sword Dance and the Stall set impractical, and it dead in the water until it switches. Pranster Pokemon, such as Antarki, can lay all these statuses down; even without it, its naturally faster than it, and is quite likely packing either Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fight.

Those are just my opinions at the moment. Despite those, I think you did a great job with this guide, and I hope you continue making them!
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(10-03-2016, 03:29 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: I like your guide, but I there are a few issues I'd like to point out. For one, you could just Merge the two sets into one, and just provide and alternate EV spread next to the the Defense/Special Defense spread (depending on how you order them). I would not be too hard to rewrite and add more to the description of the first set, if it removes necessary redundancies.

The Stall Set also leaves a little more to be desired for. You don't have to run Metalynxanite 100% of the time, as it can function just fine with Leftovers instead. If that was added, then either sythesis or Leech Seed would not be an absolutely necessary combo. That leaves it the option to have other stall moves, like Toxic or Iron Defense, to fill in the gap, or for you to run both Leaf Blade and Iron Head. It also allow the set to be sloted in with team with other Mega Evolution in use, as they don't have to make excessive changes to their battle plan. You also forgot to mention Meteor Mash as another option for a Steel STAB. While it has a small chance to miss, its stronger than Iron Head, and has a chance to boost its attack without outside setup. It would have to deal with a 4X weakness to Fire to compensate, but its not like it will stay out against one if the trainer has any sense.

In the counters section, you didn't point out another big weakness of Metalynx: Status. Toxic from anything would ruin its ability to stay out, Burn (Which can be breed onto all field group Pokemon, if Ratfitti sketches it) neuters it, and Sleep is self explainatory. Paralysis by itself it not much of a deterent to the steel tiger, if combine with either Confusion, Flitching, or both (Hello Dunsereph~!), it makes it borderline impossible to use. Taunt makes Sword Dance and the Stall set impractical, and it dead in the water until it switches. Pranster Pokemon, such as Antarki, can lay all these statuses down; even without it, its naturally faster than it, and is quite likely packing either Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fight.

Those are just my opinions at the moment. Despite those, I think you did a great job with this guide, and I hope you continue making them!
Splitting the two sets is a personal preference, and I don't think that hurt the guide too much. Anyway, thank you. 

About countering, first of all Metalynx is immune to Toxic. I mentioned burning in the introduction, I think (although I didn't realized that it could be breed onto field group Pokémons that way). And, to be honest, I thought that it was unnecessary to talk about status, as there's no need to say that things such as Paralysis, Sleep, Flinching, Confusion, stuff like that prevents a sweeper/staller from doing what is meant to do. It's such an obvious thing, at least to me (I hope this doesn't arrogant). Talking about it would just make that section and the whole guide even longer. I appreciate the suggestion, but I must say that mentioning status in a counter section is irrelevant.  After all, that's how stallbreaking works: preventing the staller from, well, stalling, with Taunt and stuff. And that's how you prevent a sweeper from sweeping: inflicting status conditions. 

I agree with you, the Stall set falls short of what it could be. You're right, Metalynx doesn't need to Mega evolve to effectively stall. I'm sorry for that, and I'll correct that asap. Thank you. I'm actually thinking in removing that thread and post a new and revised one that includes a better stall set. I'll decide that later.
(10-03-2016, 03:53 PM)Jabuloso Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 03:29 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: I like your guide, but I there are a few issues I'd like to point out. For one, you could just Merge the two sets into one, and just provide and alternate EV spread next to the the Defense/Special Defense spread (depending on how you order them). I would not be too hard to rewrite and add more to the description of the first set, if it removes necessary redundancies.

Splitting the two sets is a personal preference, and I don't think that hurt the guide too much. Anyway, thank you. 

About countering, first of all Metalynx is immune to Toxic. I mentioned burning in the introduction, I think (although I didn't realized that it could be breed onto field group Pokémons that way). And, to be honest, I thought that it was unnecessary to talk about status, as there's no need to say that things such as Paralysis, Sleep, Flinching, Confusion, stuff like that prevents a sweeper/staller from doing what is meant to do. It's such an obvious thing, at least to me (I hope this doesn't arrogant). Talking about it would just make that section and the whole guide even longer. I appreciate the suggestion, but I must say that mentioning status in a counter section is irrelevant.  After all, that's how stallbreaking works: preventing the staller from, well, stalling, with Taunt and stuff. And that's how you prevent a sweeper from sweeping: inflicting status conditions. 

I agree with you, the Stall set falls short of what it could be. You're right, Metalynx doesn't need to Mega evolve to effectively stall. I'm sorry for that, and I'll correct that asap. Thank you. I'm actually thinking in removing that thread and post a new and revised one that includes a better stall set. I'll decide that later.

Oops, forgot about that. Still, thank you for responding, and I'm very happy that you have taken my inferior opinion into consideration. 

You can just edit your guide, you know, if you want to change anything about it. Don't have to repost the whole thread or anything.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(10-03-2016, 04:45 PM)Lord Windos Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 03:53 PM)Jabuloso Wrote:

Oops, forgot about that. Still, thank you for responding, and I'm very happy that you have taken my inferior opinion into consideration. 

You can just edit your guide, you know, if you want to change anything about it. Don't have to repost the whole thread or anything.

There's no such thing as "inferior opinion", my friend hahah. I'm just someone who is trying to maintain Pokémon Uranium alive! I'm not even a high-level player, hahah. Every opinion is welcome, and you're totally right about stall. To be honest, regarding stall teams, I'm nothing more than a layman. It's not a playstyle I play very often (I actually never played with a stall team, lol). So thank you for the advice, I'll add that to the guide as soon as possible!
Great analysis! I can't find any problems with it, so there.
I might said the same thing in thread about Metalynx in reddit, but I think Earthquake should be in more of high priority for this Pokemon. It's the only move that works against Yatagaryu, and it also works on steel types and poison types, who is immune to Toxic. I think there's a choice to change Iron Head to Earthquake in some sets. Not to hit fire, but to hit electric and steel and poison. Also if your opponent knew that you have Earthquake, then it would be harder for him to send fire against you.

Just be careful as grass and ground combination won't work against grass types like Coatlith, one of the Pokemon you want to send Metalynx against.

Online ID:232277
I'm Japanese and not a English speaker, sorry for bad grammars, spellings etc.
(10-03-2016, 08:54 PM)tarutaru Wrote: I might said the same thing in thread about Metalynx in reddit, but I think Earthquake should be in more of high priority for this Pokemon. It's the only move that works against Yatagaryu, and it also works on steel types and poison types, who is immune to Toxic. I think there's a choice to change Iron Head to Earthquake in some sets. Not to hit fire, but to hit electric and steel and poison. Also if your opponent knew that you have Earthquake, then it would be harder for him to send fire against you.

Just be careful as grass and ground combination won't work against grass types like Coatlith, one of the Pokemon you want to send Metalynx against.

Agreed. That's why almost every set in this guide has it as an option. But I think what you're trying to say is that EQ is a more relevant move to have than Toxic, isn't it? Yeah, maybe. However, this is yours to decide. You might prefer to have a coverage move to hit certain pokemons, or maybe you'd rather be able to inflict status conditions in your opponent. It all depends on you.
(10-03-2016, 09:26 PM)Jabuloso Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 08:54 PM)tarutaru Wrote: I might said the same thing in thread about Metalynx in reddit, but I think Earthquake should be in more of high priority for this Pokemon. It's the only move that works against Yatagaryu, and it also works on steel types and poison types, who is immune to Toxic. I think there's a choice to change Iron Head to Earthquake in some sets. Not to hit fire, but to hit electric and steel and poison. Also if your opponent knew that you have Earthquake, then it would be harder for him to send fire against you.

Agreed. That's why almost every set in this guide has it as an option. But I think what you're trying to say is that EQ is a more relevant move to have than Toxic, isn't it? Yeah, maybe. However, this is yours to decide. You might prefer to have a coverage move to hit certain pokemons, or maybe you'd rather be able to inflict status conditions in your opponent. It all depends on you.

More of "EQ than Iron Head/Meteor Mash/Iron head". Actually, EQ and Toxic works well together as EQ can cover steel and poison types which negates Toxic. Of course, it's free to have Iron Head, it work's well against Ice and Fairy(not Syrentide though, grass are better on it, and Syrentide would be the most major fairy in the competetive field, one reason I don't prefer Steel type moves)
So yeah, it's just a choice afterall, but I think EQ should be considered more seriously in this Pokemon.

Online ID:232277
I'm Japanese and not a English speaker, sorry for bad grammars, spellings etc.