Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] [Competitive] Syrentide
[Image: latest?cb=20160816032423] Syrentide and Mega-Syrentide [Image: latest?cb=20160816032725]

Water/Fairy

HP: 98
AT: 68
DF: 108 --> 128    (+20)
SA: 88 --> 118    (+30)
SD: 108 --> 158    (+50)
SP: 88 

Overview

Making a gigantic splash in the metagame is this fearsome water/fairy type based on mermaids and sirens. Syrentide is a dominant force in the game due to it's superb typing- A quick look at the Type Coverage Chart will tell you that this mermaid has one of the best offensive types in the game. Combined with massive defenses and a small but precise movepool, Syrentide and its mega find themselves well placed on Balance, Offensive and Stall teams alike. Being able to nearly fully counter all the fire types running amok and having the single largest special defense stat in the game are great pluses. 

Unfortunately, normal Syrentide has mediocre special attack and has to mega evolve to be a good attacker. Since it's only recovery is Rest, this also puts a hamper on its stalling abilities. Additionally it's movepool is slightly lacking in some areas, making you pine for a better fourth move.  Nonetheless, if you think you're safe with these weaknesses on her, then like many sailors before you, she'll sing you to your death. 

Mega-Tidal-Wave
(Crotide)

[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833]@Syrentidite/ Leftovers
Bold: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA/SpD
Swift Swim --> Pixilate
- Surf / Moonblast / Hyper Voice
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Some of you reading this might say this set looks oddly familiar... and that's because it is! This is Suicune's infamous flagship set since ADV repurposed for Uranium. This set plays like Suicune does in the real metagame- once all counters and checks are dealt with and only special attackers remain: switch in, boost up and kill everything. With a combination of Rest, Sleep Talk and Calm Mind, unboosted attackers will have a difficult time even landing a scratch on Syrentide. However, there are a couple key differences to note between the water legendary and the mermaid. 

First, Syrentide has a Water/ Fairy typing, giving it two usable STAB moves to work with instead of Suicune's one. Second and most importantly, when it mega evolves it gains an absurd 98/ 128/158 bulk which would make even Suicune blush with envy. Since you have recovery in the form of Rest, Syrentidite is the preferred item both for defensive purposes and offensive ones. Your attacking move can be Surf, Moonblast, or if running its mega stone, Hyper Voice, adding to this sets unpredictability. All these factors make this set an excellent Win Condition for your team.

Alluring Mermaid
(Pivot attacker)

[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833]@  Leftovers / Syrentidite
Bold/ Calm: 252Hp, 252Def/SpD, 4 SpA

Swift Swim --> Pixilate
- Moonblast / Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind / Reflect / Light Screen / Hidden Power Fire/Fighting

Its natural bulk and good typing make it an offensive pivot. Switch it out, do damage, switch back out. One can run either leftovers for recovery, or Syrentidite for more power depending on your preference- though Leftovers is probably the better item for this set due to the recovery it brings. Be sure to run Hyper Voice if using its mega stone, and Moonblast if leftovers. Surf goes in there because unfortunately, the mermaid can't get Scald. Ice Beam rounds off the coverage, hitting dragons and ground types in the game for good damage. 

The fourth moveslot is a tossup since it doesn't have too much else- Calm Mind can be used to turn it into a setup sweeper when the time is right, Reflect and Light Screen can be used as team support for whichever move your team needs. Hidden Powers Fire and Fighting can be used to patch up team weaknesses or hit counters on the switch in. One can use a Bold or Calm nature, depending on what you want Syrentide to switch into; be sure to adjust the EV's accordingly with your nature. 

Swift Tide
(Swift Swim attacker- by Reeveelution)

[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833]@ Life Orb 
Timid: 252SpA, 100Spe, 152 Hp
Swift Swim
- Moonblast 
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance/ Hidden Power Fighting/ Ground / Coral Break

With 100 Speed EV's and a Swift Swim activated by rain, Syrentide reaches 528 speed, faster than every non Scarfed pokemon in the metagame. With such speed, investment in special attack and a Life Orb for damage, this Syrentide becomes a very effective Rain sweeper. Moonblast and Ice Beam are a given on this set for STAB and coverage reasons, while your water move can be chosen between Surf for accuracy or Hydro Pump for power. The fourth move is again a tossup: Rain Dance can be used to setup itself, Hidden Powers Fighting and Ground can be used to destroy steel and electric types, and finally Coral Break can be used to hit from the physical side without investing EV's in attack. Of particular note, one can use Coral Break and Hydro Pump together to serve as a reliable STAB move and wall breaking attack respectively. 

Siren's Shout
(All-out-Attacker- by Reeveelution and Tarutaru)

[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833] @ Syrentidite / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Timid/Modest: 4 Def/ 252 SpA /252 Spe
Swift Swim or Cute Charm --> Pixilate
- Surf/Coral Break / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Voice/Moonblast
- HP Fire

A fairly self explanatory all out attacking set. Due to its incredible STAB coverage, Ice Beam and Hidden Power Fire, it can hit most of the meta for super effective damage. Hyper Voice is for mega Syrentide only, and your water move depends on your preference of wallbreaking, reliability or attacking power. The item choice is the biggest choice you'd have to make- Life Orb lets you have boosted attacks but at the cost of HP, the mega stone can be used with similar power but takes a mega slot. Finally, Choice Specs can be used for massive power and the ability to use another mega, but at the cost of being locked into a move and getting revenge killed or set up upon. Due to this, the item chosen is highly tailored to your team's needs for this set. 

Siren's Song
(Perish Trapper- Suggested by Reeveelution)
[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833]@ Leftovers
Timid: 252 Spe, 252 Hp, 4Def
Cute Charm
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Draining Kiss / Rest

A trolly set that might be usable in the lower ladder, but is gimmicky otherwise. Switch in to something and use Whirlpool, then Perish Song. Proceed to try and stall out the opponent with Protect and Draining Kiss / Rest, then switch out at the last second to watch your opponent faint. It's a pretty one dimensional set with great payoff but high risk. For this set to work though, you have to setup on something that can't hurt you and hope your opponent's doesn't switch as you use Whirlpool. 

Ocean Peace
(Sub CM)
[Image: latest?cb=20160813182833]@ Leftovers / Syrentidite
Timid: 252 Spe, 252 HSpA, 4Hp
Swift Swim
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast / Hyper Voice
- Surf / Coral Break

A bread and butter Substitute + Calm Mind set. Leftovers is the preferred option, but Syrentidite can be used for more immediate power with fewer boosts. Use Substitute and Calm Mind at your dispense to setup on status users and pokemon who can't hurt you, then proceed to sweep using coverage moves. As always, Hyper Voice is for Mega-Syrentide only, otherwise use Moonblast. Surf has more power and slightly more accuracy, whereas Coral Break hurts more specially defensive inclined opponent's: choose what is more appropriate for your team. A timid nature is the best nature, as the increased speed will allow Syrentide to setup more easily. 

Hydro Pump can be used for this set, but in Calm Mind wars and setup sweepers in general, Accuracy > Power. A Modest nature can also be used, but then you will have fewer setup opportunities and may get status'ed more easily. 

Other Options
(Suggested by myself, Tarutaru)

--- A Perish Song / Protect set might see usage, but the fickle nature of Perish Song makes it undersirable. 
--- Draining Kiss could be a usable move on the pivot sets as a form of recovery, though the base power is weak.
--- A Calm or Modest nature can be used on the Crotide set, which would increase it's walling or special attacking capabilities.
--- Refresh can be used... but it's highly situational.
--- Toxic is good for defeating defensive opponents on some of the more defensive sets. 
--- A Choice Scarf all out attacking set can be used, but is a bit situational and Syrentide likes it's multiple coverage options. That being said, it could be used as a surprise set if played correctly. 

Playing against Syrentide

Metalynx and its mega are true counters to everything this pokemon can do. With a careful nature and Grass / Steel typing, Metalynx can take anything Syrentide can dish out and fire back a deadly Leaf Blade to KO the mermaid. The same could be said for Tracton, who can setup on Syrentide with Shift Gear and leave you in an unfavorable position. The rarely used Daikatuna can also wall Syrentide to heaven and back, though its low defenses leave it open to the boosting sets. 

Additionally, since Syrentide has almost no forms of recovery, Toxic Spikes and Toxic works wonders on chipping away its health, though they must beware of the very rare Refresh variant. The mono attacking set will always be walled by something: Disenchant Belliadon if Hyper Voice/ Moonblast is used, and Vaporeon / Bluberog if Surf is used. These pokemon can then proceed to KO or stall Syrentide out to take it down. 

Team options

Taking out Metalynx and/or Tracton is a must for Syrentide, so a good fighting or fire type user makes a great teammate. Take for example Archilles and Inflagetah, who can deal extreme pain to both the above and leave Syrentide safe. Garlikid as a fighting type can take some Electric and Grass moves aimed for Syrentide, who can in turn tank the fire and ice moves aimed at the hero pokemon. Both but be wary of poison and fairy moves though. Belliadon itself can be a great partner, able to take out pesky steel and grass types and serve as a physical attacker to Syrentide's special attacker. 

Paralysis support can be used to help mitigate Syrentide's middling speed, same goes for Sticky web users like Seikamater. And, especially for the pivot set, entry hazard removal will be extremely beneficial once the mods give us Defog and Rapid spin. As Syrentide can opt not to use its mega stone, this can free up a mega slot for a teammate. 

Windos wanted to do Syrentide, but... oh well, I guess. I suppose you can talk things over with him. I will add this to the main page.
Eh, I don't mind. When I come around to it, I'll see if I have anything to add to his guide, then post it here in this thread. In the future, though, please refrence the list in the pinned thread. They whrere made so that we don't accidently snipe guides we want to do.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
If you prefer more power than accuracy, then Hydro Pump would be your choice over Surf. Also Toxic is always handy for a bulky Pokemon like her. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Metalynx when it switches, though you need to predict it's switch, and it won't work much after it Mega evolves.

I think there's choice to go offensive, as you mentioned that her typing is great offensive. Of course her main job is to take hits from fire Pokemons, but hitting back hard in your opponent's switch is always important in battle against players. Though her Mega is better for this, you may also give normal Syrentide a Choice Specs, which boosts her SPattack more than Mega, and more, you can save your Mega for other Pokemons.

And as I love surprise set, there's choice to run Choice Scarf Set: Only to kill Yatagaryus thinking they can outspeed her. At least, her speed is not a bad one to give it a Scarf.

Online ID:232277
I'm Japanese and not a English speaker, sorry for bad grammars, spellings etc.
(10-05-2016, 08:04 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Eh, I don't mind. When I come around to it, I'll see if I have anything to add to his guide, then post it here in this thread. In the future, though, please refrence the list in the pinned thread. They whrere made so that we don't accidently snipe guides we want to do.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a pinned thread for these. Where is it? I'll reference it from now on.
Right here: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=112
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

(10-05-2016, 09:37 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Right here: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=112

Thank you. I won't make that mistake again.
A little too bugged for comfort that there is no swift-swimmer Syrentide with Life Orb. @poweroftibarn and myself has discussed this before, and know that you only need 100 EVs in speed on a Timid Syrentide under rain to outspeed a Choice Scarfed Nucleon. Effectively, this will also outspeed Choice Scarf'd Laissure, as Laissure also has the same base speed.

For once, I'm a little disappointed in a Pokemon showcase. The versatility of this Syrentide thread is lacking. I notice lacking is that, despite you pointing out that Syrentide does lack some coverage (though Water/Ice/Fairy coverage is already destructively wonderful) is that you did not consider Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire, Fighting, or Ground is amazing on Syrentide, to give you examples.

This is what I would run:

Syrentide w/ Life Orb or Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Timid
EVs: 104HP/ 252 Sp. Att/ 100 Speed

Surf
Ice Beam
Moonblast
Coral Break/ HP Fighting or Ground/ Rain Dance

Pretty self-explanatory spread. Syrentide by itself can't do much with this spread, but with the help of Rain, her speed doubles and can outspeed sooooooooo many things without needing to think about getting choice locked from Choice Scarf. Surf and Moonblast is her main STABs, and Surf can reliable do so much more damage under rain with Life Orb in tow, dealing a surprising amount of damage against opponents and has the potention to OHKO with Hazards set up. Ice Beam is a great Ice-Coverage move that speaks for itself: Grass mons will not have a harder time switchin' into a Swift Swim Syrentide with Ice Beam in tow. The last move is a filler: I personally prefer Coral Break to give Syrentide some awesome wall-breaking properties, and under rain and Life Orb it deals more damage than you think it would. HP Fighting and HP Ground is for the likes of Steels or Electric Pokemon respectively, but when its raining men- I mean... wha? HP is severely underclassed by the more powerful Surf or Coral Break. Rain Dance is there just in case your team heavily relies on rain; Syrentide can set it up and benefit from it immediately as well.

This set also gives room for Choice Specs Syrentide or Damp Rock Syrentide.

Another set I would recommend:

All-out-Attacker

Syrentide w/ Syrentidite or Life Orb
Ability: Anything!
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 Sp Att. /252 Speed

Surf/Coral Break
Ice Beam
Hyper Voice/Moonblast
HP Fire

Once again, pretty self-explanatory spread. This set is designed to seek and destroy. Everything i said in the first set applies here, minus the fact that this set typically wouldn't be under Rain weather. HP Fire meanwhile, is heavily preferred than the previously mentioned HP because of Metalynx counter. A specially defensive Metalynx is unlikely to tank a HP Fire, however even if it did survive, your Mega Syrentide will still survive its Leaf Blade.

....But if you prefer using another Mega, Life Orb and Leftovers works fine on this set too. Pretty much any pokemon, even Syrentide, can run Life Orb or Leftovers effectively.

P.S. Also, would be funny if you can run gimmick sets on syrentide. the fact that it has Perish Song and Whirlpool makes me giggle lots.

(10-06-2016, 12:24 AM)Reeveelution Wrote: A little too bugged for comfort that there is no swift-swimmer Syrentide with Life Orb. @poweroftibarn and myself has discussed this before, and know that you only need 100 EVs in speed on a Timid Syrentide under rain to outspeed a Choice Scarfed Nucleon. Effectively, this will also outspeed Choice Scarf'd Laissure, as Laissure also has the same base speed.

For once, I'm a little disappointed in a Pokemon showcase. The versatility of this Syrentide thread is lacking. I notice lacking is that, despite you pointing out that Syrentide does lack some coverage (though Water/Ice/Fairy coverage is already destructively wonderful) is that you did not consider Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire, Fighting, or Ground is amazing on Syrentide, to give you examples.

This is what I would run:

Syrentide w/ Life Orb or Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Timid
EVs: 104HP/ 252 Sp. Att/ 100 Speed

Surf
Ice Beam
Moonblast
Coral Break/ HP Fighting or Ground/ Rain Dance

Pretty self-explanatory spread. Syrentide by itself can't do much with this spread, but with the help of Rain, her speed doubles and can outspeed sooooooooo many things without needing to think about getting choice locked from Choice Scarf. Surf and Moonblast is her main STABs, and Surf can reliable do so much more damage under rain with Life Orb in tow, dealing a surprising amount of damage against opponents and has the potention to OHKO with Hazards set up. Ice Beam is a great Ice-Coverage move that speaks for itself: Grass mons will not have a harder time switchin' into a Swift Swim Syrentide with Ice Beam in tow. The last move is a filler: I personally prefer Coral Break to give Syrentide some awesome wall-breaking properties, and under rain and Life Orb it deals more damage than you think it would. HP Fighting and HP Ground is for the likes of Steels or Electric Pokemon respectively, but when its raining men- I mean... wha? HP is severely underclassed by the more powerful Surf or Coral Break. Rain Dance is there just in case your team heavily relies on rain; Syrentide can set it up and benefit from it immediately as well.

This set also gives room for Choice Specs Syrentide or Damp Rock Syrentide.

Another set I would recommend:

All-out-Attacker

Syrentide w/ Syrentidite or Life Orb
Ability: Anything!
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 Sp Att. /252 Speed

Surf/Coral Break
Ice Beam
Hyper Voice/Moonblast
HP Fire

Once again, pretty self-explanatory spread. This set is designed to seek and destroy. Everything i said in the first set applies here, minus the fact that this set typically wouldn't be under Rain weather. HP Fire meanwhile, is heavily preferred than the previously mentioned HP because of Metalynx counter. A specially defensive Metalynx is unlikely to tank a HP Fire, however even if it did survive, your Mega Syrentide will still survive its Leaf Blade.

....But if you prefer using another Mega, Life Orb and Leftovers works fine on this set too. Pretty much any pokemon, even Syrentide, can run Life Orb or Leftovers effectively.

P.S. Also, would be funny if you can run gimmick sets on syrentide. the fact that it has Perish Song and Whirlpool makes me giggle lots.

My analyses are done in a way to get feedback from the community as well for maximum efficiency. I am hesitant to post every single set I can think of, because it increases the likelihood that one set will be outclassed by a set from another pokemon, or just be a gimmick set with no real use.

I like the Swift Swim set and will add it later. Genuinely forgot about hidden power when writing this for some reason... So I'll take that into account when updating the set list.
Cataclyptic, its ok to put all the ideas you can think of for a a given pokemon moveset. It cover more of what a pokemon could possibly do, while at the same time showing that you have though an awful lot what to do with the Pokémon. Take Dunsereph, my first guide, for example. Not all the ideas are completely sound (Hello, Cloud Nine Dunsereph), but I tried to explore everything I could think to do in the set. Nothing wrong with, especially if you have people critiquing your guide so that you can add and improve upon it. Well are have to start from some point; why not a point of enthusiasm?