Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Insurgence/Other Fangames vs. Uranium
So I finally finished running through Insurgence for the first time (to the extent that I'm mostly done with the game, not to the extent that I caught every mon, got the highest rank in that damnedable Battle Frontier challenge, got the perfect stats and natures on every mon and got them all to lv 120) But rather than critique the game or anything, now that I have a bit more knowledge about some of the things later Pokemon games have introduced, as well as other fangame additions I thought I'd discuss Uranium armed with that knowledge.

For one thing, I never knew how slow Pokemon games play until I played this. The ability to speed up and slow down with the press of a button is so damn convenient! I just wish such a feature could be incorporated into Uranium, but I'm guessing there would introduce problems with something like the lag-heavy 8th Gym to the point where the game would crash or something.

Also, I can live without IV stones even if they would make breeding so much easier, especially since I'm invested in getting 30 stats for specific Hidden Power types for certain mons anyway, but there are some conveniences like the Ability Capsules, Dream Guru, and Egg hatch time accelerator that would make things *SO* much easier if introduced in the postgame for this. Especially for some of the more ungodly hatch times like for Gargryph.

The ability to chose what ball a hatched Pokemon is contained and do so without depleting your reserves was another feature I really liked in Insurgence, especially since ball-breeding with genderless pokemon and Master Balls is impossible, and generating females is mandatory for continuing a chain unless you're breeding with a Duplicat.

Is there any other feature from Insurgence or other fangames you wish would be added to Uranium?
֎▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬֍
▓ I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist in a world of misery.  ▓
Technically, Uranium does have the ability to speed up its gameplay by virtue of its Framerate Options (if I recall correctly) , setting Text Speed to max, and eliminating Animations, but I imagine that Insurgence / other fangames have a better option of speeding things up?

I personally would just wish that fangames do away with Eggs altogether and just *give* Breeders the Pokemon that come from the union of two compatible, as the time wasted doing that is the single biggest hurdle and deterant to trying to Breed Pokemon. Sure, that's not a very traditional Move, and it may take some of the investment and 'fun' (let's charitably call it) out of hatching Eggs , but I say the conveniance would MORE than make up for it (ESPECIALLY in Shiny Breeding and/or IV Breeding for Genderless Mons). For Uranium specifically, I'd like it if they gave Breeders some sort of indication of their Eggs IVs and Shiny Status straight upfront pre-hatching, and then the option to get rid of the Egg if they so wish. Since I don't believe the devs will take out the hatching grind, they can at least make the whole ordeal a lot more palatable.

In regard to features being added to Uranium, I rather the devs just finish the game first with everything they have in mind for it before any talk of that sort of stuff begins. 'Cause who knows, maybe some of the final things they put in the game could be stuff from other fangames that everyone would appreciate! If pressed to offer some ideas, though, I'd want Game Completion Bonuses for a successful Story and Post Game Story playthrough, as well as 100% the Pokedex beyond what the Professor gives you. Stuff like New Game + (Starting over the game with all your stuff, or having a set of features to customize your next run), Increased/Decreased Encounter Rates (Or Items like Infinite Repel and The Flute of Summoning), Turbo boosting every Trainer/'Boss Fight' in the game, Special Prize Items/Pokemon etc . .....that would all be nice things to get for your time spent on the game.

And after all development of the game has been offically 'done' , I'd like the Dev Team to just make a patch where all the Mystery Gift Pokemon they've ever released is given to the player at appropriete enough places/times throughout the game (Or after a full game clear for simplicity's sake) . Because as it's been said one way or another, permenantly missing out of unique MG Pokemon forever just....well, plain sucks. Especially when they have unique Moves or Abilities, or just plain don't exist in any form in the base game (as of the time of this post, 2020/5/13 ) .

Finally, I specifically want Dramsama to basically get unnerfed, or at least get a significant boost back to its HP and Defense stats, as I simply hated what they did to the poor dream birdo. If stuff like Nucleon, any fast Nuclear Pokemon, Inflagetah in both its forms, Tracton, Ratfitti, etc. is allowed to remained untouched , why are they singling out it of all Pokemon to 'balance out' ? Uraniums a fundementally wack game in terms of the relative 'power levels' that practically doesn't have non-simulator multiplayer, so what's one more debatebly OPmon going to do to the game ?
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
In Insurgence you just press a button and toggle between different speeds. Personally I couldn't register a difference between the 3 higher speeds, but you just press it at any time, be it in battle, in a PC, in the overworld, etc. and everything in the game from battle animations, to the text, to character movement, goes faster. It's akin to moving as fast as riding the bike at all times while running, and if you ever need to move with more finesse for a puzzle, you just toggle back to the normal speed.

Personally, I've always found breeding to be a bitch and a half in Pokemon games too. Trying to get specific IVs, abilities, natures, shinies, moves, keeping track of which mon is holding which item to produce what result, then waiting for the damn eggs to hatch, it's such a pain in the ass. That's part of why the Ability Capsules were so convenient and welcome. Oh, you have the perfect IVs, nature, gender, etc. but the ability is wrong? Not anymore! Given that there's only so much that can be accounted for, just having a little tiny bit more control goes a long way.

And while I lamented not being able to control and account for IVs to get useful Hidden Power Types, the ability to use IV Stones on Dittos to give them 6 perfect IVs and breed them with anything, as well as using IV Stones on Legendaries that couldn't be bred so that I wouldn't have to worry about bad stats after spending so much time trying to catch them was another thing I appreciated about the game as it cut out on a ton of downtime.
Don't like Insurgence, never played much of it, but this feature is a kinda nice one for anyone who is mindful about which Ball they want their Pokemon to be contained in:

Quote:The ability to chose what ball a hatched Pokemon is contained and do so without depleting your reserves was another feature I really liked in Insurgence, especially since ball-breeding with genderless pokemon and Master Balls is impossible, and generating females is mandatory for continuing a chain unless you're breeding with a Duplicat.

Very useful for Ball-locked Pokemon you get in Uranium, like the Starters and Minicorn.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
I feel like the main draw of Uranium compared to other Fan Games is that it feels like a more traditional Pokemon experience, and a well crafted one at that.  It could maybe use a few QoL changes, some missing things definitely still need to be added in some manner, and it definitely needs a little cleanup and streamlining in some aspects, but all in all, I'm very happy with the game we got to play as it is currently.  It's one of the few fan games I follow closely, have stuck with for an extended period of time, and have considered replaying on multiple occasions.  Definitely a testament to how good it is, even without further major updates, imho.
(05-14-2020, 05:09 PM)"Dragonstrike Wrote: I feel like the main draw of Uranium compared to other Fan Games is that it feels like a more traditional Pokemon experience, and a well crafted one at that.  It could maybe use a few QoL changes, some missing things definitely still need to be added in some manner, and it definitely needs a little cleanup and streamlining in some aspects, but all in all, I'm very happy with the game we got to play as it is currently.  It's one of the few fan games I follow closely, have stuck with for an extended period of time, and have considered replaying on multiple occasions.  Definitely a testament to how good it is, even without further major updates, imho.
While I personally like Insurgence a bit better, there are a lot of really good things about Uranium too.

The trading system is way better and faster, the game doesn't pause for seconds at a time when you try to navigate over to a full/semi-full box, you can discard entire boxes of Pokemon which is great for breeding but it makes absolutely certain you know that you're about to delete them before doing it so that it doesn't happen accidentally, there are no BS difficulty spikes or throwing Mega Evolutions at you without you having access to them in some capacity first, the Elite Four is challenging (as long as you don't have a Nucleon) without being ridiculous, none of the legendaries are locked behind some BS Battle "challenge," important TMs like False Swipe aren't withheld until the damn postgame, and while the Pokedex obviously isn't as monstrous, most of the mons are new creations and the Pokedex milestone rewards incentivize actually catching the damn things and play around with them, rather than basically mandating that players only use the absolute best ones lest they get obliterated.
I've just entered into the world of Pokémon Fangames, and I have both Insurgence and Uranium. I haven't actually beaten either, though I am doing a Nuzlocke of both so I'm probably going to move a bit slower. But from what I have played so far, I personally enjoy Uranium more. Uranium is, as Dragonstrike said, a much more traditional experience, (unless you count the Insurgence traditional story, and that also doesn't count), and I like that. I'm not an excessive breeder/EV trainer. I honestly play until the game says "You did the thing, congratulations," then I decide to move on to the next thing. Uranium is way easier than Insurgence too, somehow. Or at least it is for me so far, where the hardest thing I deal with in Uranium is that son of a bitch Grozard that's trapping my Mankey I'm trying to grind with Bulldoze every turn. Insurgence, on the other hand, cut off my ass, chewed it up, shit it out, and handed it back to me on the first route. So maybe it's because Uranium is easier, maybe it's because the originality of the Pokémon in the region, but I truly think Uranium is a better game, especially for people just dipping their toes into harder fangames. As for the things I'd like to see added to Uranium, I have a few.

#1 - Minimaps for the towns/cities. One of my favorite parts of Uranium is how the towns feel immersive, unlike some other games in the same genre as it (*cough* mainline series *cough*). But when you have to grind and you're rushing back to the Centre, especially when your Pokémon is poisoned and it's a race against the clock, it could be useful to have a guide in some form or another.

#2 - Yeah, I want the event Pokémon too. I must've missed out on so many by now, so like a "You did the thing, here's a chance to get some old Eventmons" would be nice.

#3 - Have more interactivity in the little corners. I love how Pokémon Insurgence uses every little detail, just like the main series games. The bookshelves all have a readable book, sometimes that even establish the lore of the region, the TV's all have a program to watch. Sure, only like 3 people and me would read them, but it would be a nice little detail. Especially if there were books on the events that start the game, like the reactor explosion. Just some quality of life, you know?

#4 - Chance to drop out of the Nuzlocke. Will I? Probably not. Is there one and I just haven't seen it? Maybe. But is it something someone else would want to change? Most likely.

#5 - A speed-up button. Uranium is not a slow game, but speed-up for combat would help. Overworld isn't a problem, because of autorun (thank the almighty devs for that), but the grinding could take less.

That's honestly it. Every other part of Uranium is amazing and almost flawless, and 5 things, a couple of which arn't even that big of a deal, isn't too bad for a fangame originally made by a couple guys and Twitch. So thanks for an amazing game, 10/10. Best fangame out there so far, by a landslide. And if there's any other fangames I should check out, let me know.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -D. Adams
(05-26-2021, 07:52 PM)QuarterD Wrote: #4 - Chance to drop out of the Nuzlocke. Will I? Probably not. Is there one and I just haven't seen it? Maybe. But is it something someone else would want to change? Most likely.

There is a way to turn Nuzlocke mode off in the game, but it's not available until after you've beaten the main story content.