Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Best Starter For Tandor (Story)
Hey all. 

As some of you may know, a youtuber by the tag of Eriyzo has made a series of videos detailing the "best starters" for the various generations of pokemon, using how the pokemon individually matches up against the challenges faced in the game. Naturally, this is based solely around the starter, as with a well-balanced team supporting it, any pokemon can have a measure of success.

Inspired by this, I decided to go over the starters presented in our own Pokemon Uranium's Tandor region, to determine the starter that is best, based on overall matchups against the different foes and important main-game sidequests.
Note: Due to potential plot spoilers existing in my analysis, I have put the bulk of it into spoilers. If you wish to avoid game spoilers, be warned, some are here.

First off, there's Eletux. Bambo'o states that Eletux is the balanced starter, favoring a mixed approach, and that consensus summarizes Eletux quite brilliantly. 
[Image: 005_Eletux_zps0bip0izt.png]
Next, we have Raptorch. Raptorch is stated as being the starter that favored all-out attack and a generally offensively-oriented approach to battle. 
[Image: 003_Raptorch_zpsxkpnpgkj.png]
Finally, we have Orchynx, everyone's favorite defensively oriented grass kitten
[Image: 001sugi_zpsgbwmj3e0.png]
This concludes my own analysis of the starters, with my verdict going to Orchynx, the grass type starter, as being the best starter to pick in Pokemon Uranium. The places of second and third place were very close however, and even Orchynx's lead over the others was not astronomical

Note: This is not a decry of the other two starters, and I will admit mild bias on my part, as Orchynx was the starter I picked and used/am using in my primary Uranium save. This is, nonetheless, my own honest assessment of the starters and the abilities of their evolutions. 
And yes, I am aware I referred to them by their first stage evolution, even when it was obvious that Orchynx would be a Metalynx at that stage, or so on, this was just my method of categorizing them as I compiled this.

I hope you were at least entertained, and if it's liked, I might even try to do a "Best Team For Pokemon Uranium" topic as well.
Agreed with the analysis, although I'm not sure this belongs in this subthread. This thread is for competition against other players, not the game. But I ain't a mod and I don't see too much of an issue for it being here so meh.

I would not attempt a best team for Tandor, that would be far too difficult with the 190 ish pokemon available in the run as well as all the combinations thereof. I suggest instead an in game viability thread, which would be far less work and produce better results.
Hey, I enjoyed your analysis or guide or whatever you wanna call it about the starters. I also chose Orchynx too (Btw It's Orchynx, not Orchlynx Tongue) I have gotten into Pokemon Uranium only recently, and am enjoying the game a ton except for the lag I must painfully endure while in a battle. Anyways, Since I'm so new to Pokemon Uranium, I would love it if you would make a "Best Team For Pokemon Uranium" topic and if you could also recommend any Pokemon that I should bring on my journey through the Tandor region. So far I have and am looking at: (take note I'm not very far into the game, only 1 Badge)

Orchynx
(Grass, Steel)

Baashaun
(Fighting, Dark)

Brailip
(Water, Psychic)

Pahar
(Fire, Flying)

Pufluff to Alpico
(Ice, Fairy)

Yatagaryu
(Dragon, Electric)

Any suggestions and replacements??
(01-08-2017, 08:01 PM)Cataclyptic Wrote: Agreed with the analysis, although I'm not sure this belongs in this subthread. This thread is for competition against other players, not the game. But I ain't a mod and I don't see too much of an issue for it being here so meh.
I was wondering about that too, but I wasn't sure, and since this does fall under viability and competitiveness (albiet, on a "vs NPC" level) I figured I'd post it here unless a mod saw fit to move it to a different spot.

Yes, considering the large number of pokemon that are available, it would be a bit of a task, but I don't think it would be too hard, as I already have some ideas as to what would make the best members for this team. Also, I'd be making it with consideration for when you find the pokemon in the game proper, and how useful they'd be from that point on, so pokemon like Volchik would be out of consideration for early game consideration, and Mystery gift and Bambo'o present pokemon would only cautiously be used in the topic, if at all, since not everyone would be able to use them. (Keep in mind, this is not intended as an online "best team," more as a in-story "best team."

But, I'll only make it if I have people who would like to see me tackle it, and could even afterward make "Best Team for X Starter" topics or offshoots as well, if anyone was interested. Of course, they'd all be my own opinion. It all depends on if people actually like the idea or not.
I do appreciate the feedback though, so thanks for replying!
I love the analysis you make about the Starters of Uranium. Its very deep and incredible. In my first gameplay in Uranium I in fact choose Electrux, and I admit he have some common weakness. Since everyone was choose or Raptorch or Orchynx, I choose Electrux. I have some troubles, but everything is just a matter if adapt and strategy, but I have some troubles in the final battle ^^"
But your analysis is very deep, and incredible good. Great job man Smile
Kogeki currently ability to active in battles: Anticipation.
Thanks, that means a lot!

I was trying to make it as informative as possible, yet short enough that one didn't have to wade through a mass wall of text to take it all in. Glad you liked it!
While I like the guide, and find its presentation quite enjoyable, I don't believe it properly highlight what the best starter is. The main reason for that being the lack of their power outside the main game proper. In other word, if these Pokémon are used competitively against players, not the base game. You seem to be solely focused on what a person only playing the story, and seemly disregard the whole movepool/role of the starters.

Archille counter Elextux solidly if it is not running Aqua Jet, as an Earth Power or Earthquake can OHKO it, and a Sword Dance behind any of its Physical attacks makes it hit it terribly hard regardless. That, and its immune to one of its main STABs, and has a massive Speed advantage to abuse to the fullest. Oh, and its Mega Ability, Drought, makes it fire attack even stronger, and can help set up an Sun team without Sunny Day. Given its sheer speed and devastating movepool, I'd rank it as the best starter.

Metalynx can either be a Tank, or a Bulkly Wall Breaker, depending on the EV investment and nature of the Pokémon. It can survive quite well against Elextux, and either wear it down with Leech Seed/Toxic, or send it packing with a Leaf Blade. Against Archilles, it can actually do somewhat well against it, if it has full investment in Def's, as its both forms can survive an unboosted Earthquake from it, while the Mega can take a unboosted Physical fire attack. The fact that Nuclear move only hit neutral to it due to its Steel typing, among its other benefits, makes it especially useful. I'd say that it would be the lowest ranked starter, if only because of how powerful its counterparts art, when it comes to sweeping.

Electruxo is quite the terror indeed. It has access to the deadly Bolt Beam combo, a perfect accuracy STAB Thunder due to its Mega Ability, Drizzle, on top of the double STAB it gets with its Water moves, and has Magnet Rise to avoid one of its greatest weaknesses. It also have good all around bulk to it, making it an excellent all around Special Attacker. Drizzle also paves the way for rain team, making it the go to Pokémon for that synergy. Overall, I'd rank it second best of the starters, if only because it would lose a straight battle against Archilles. I'd go as far to say that they tie in their respective power and usefulness when compared to the rest of the Tandor dex, making them some of the biggest threat a trainer will face online.

Those are my words on the matter. I still like your guide, but it would be remiss of me not to state the other positives of the starters.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
This is certainly true, but as you noted, this is primarily meant to be a guide for the best starter for the story, not PvP competitive play, where movepools to counter both the starters they are weak to and further threats are somewhat disregarded.

This was meant more to highlight their benefits in (story) game, and as I also noted, it wasn't meant to be a criticism of the others. The actual viability gap that I calculated between the three was separated by decimal amounts, nowhere near whole numbers, and any pokemon can be viable in-story with a decent moveset and (and this is more necessary for some than others) good EV investment. But, based in resistances, strengths, weaknesses, moves that are likely to be used in-story, and other such factors, I came to the conclusion that Orchynx was statistically slightly better in the story game.

Perhaps that's more what I did wrong here, as this section does lend itself to Metagame matchups and viability, and this is more meant to be a "best for the story" guide. I'll amend the topic title, and if the powers that be see fit, they can move this to a more appropriate location.
Guess I'm invisible.... Oh well.
(01-09-2017, 08:59 AM)HuckebeinTheRaven Wrote: This is certainly true, but as you noted, this is primarily meant to be a guide for the best starter for the story, not PvP competitive play, where movepools to counter both the starters they are weak to and further threats are somewhat disregarded.

This was meant more to highlight their benefits in (story) game, and as I also noted, it wasn't meant to be a criticism of the others. The actual viability gap that I calculated between the three was separated by decimal amounts, nowhere near whole numbers, and any pokemon can be viable in-story with a decent moveset and (and this is more necessary for some than others) good EV investment. But, based in resistances, strengths, weaknesses, moves that are likely to be used in-story, and other such factors, I came to the conclusion that Orchynx was statistically slightly better in the story game.

Perhaps that's more what I did wrong here, as this section does lend itself to Metagame matchups and viability, and this is more meant to be a "best for the story" guide. I'll amend the topic title, and if the powers that be see fit, they can move this to a more appropriate location.

Thank you for not taking my suggestions the wrong way, my fellow Uranium mate! I understood your intent behind when writing this guide right away, but felt that I needed to further clarify the matter for trainers that read your thread, both seasoned veterans and youngems. Their are two sides to every Pokémon game, after all.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650