Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Guide] Competitive Analysis: Gellin
Welp, Windos did Arbok already, so he gave me Gellin from his list!  How nice!  I have a soft spot for this giant, Grass and Electric, single cell organism that medium sized humans can ride since it was on my first team in Uranium!  Let's see what it can do outside of the story, shall we?

[Image: latest?cb=20160827182130]

Look at the adorable thing.  It's awesome.  One of my favorite pokemon designs in Uranium by far.  But we're not here to hear me gush, we're here to analyze!  Incoming stats!

HP: 90
Attack: 35
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 120
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 85
Total: 505

Look at that.  That's an awesome stat spread.  Just enough bulk to take one or two physical hits, just enough speed to get by, enough special bulk to tank, and enough special attack to compete with Yatagaryu.  How about abilities?

Chlorophyll: Doubles speed when the weather is sunny
Solar Power (Hidden Ability, Unreleased as of 1.1.0): Increases Special Attack by 1.5 when the weather is sunny, but the pokemon loses 1/8 of their HP every turn this ability is active.

Fun stuff, sun teams.  How's it perform, though?

A Cell that Grows in Sunlight? (Sun Booster)
- Solar Beam/Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Varying types)
- Growth
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, up to 80 Speed, rest in HP
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

This set needs dedicated sun support to work, and not from Gellin itself.  This makes it a little awkward to use since the only pokemon with Drought in the current version of Uranium is Mega Archilles, and the sun only lasts 5 turns if set up by it.  You'll have to bring some dedicated Sunny Day and Heat Rock pokemon for this one.  Pull it off though, and you've got a monster on your hands.  Double Speed in the sun.  +2 special attack from Growth in the sun.  120 base power move with no drawbacks in the sun.  This is a very sun dependent set, if you couldn't tell already. Wink

Before I continue, let me just say that Gellin seems to be designed as an anti-water pokemon.  If there's a water type, Gellin can hit it super effectively with one of its STAB moves (with the sole exception of Ludicolo).  Ground, Rock, and Flying types that are weak to its STAB moves also need to beware.  Unlike Neopunk, though, Gellin's STAB coverage is fairly lackluster, since more pokemon are resistant to them than weak to them.  Primarily dragon and grass types. 

And that's what Hidden Power is for.  There's several types that you can make it to try and broaden your coverage options, but every option will leave you at the mercy of something that a different Hidden Power would have helped with.

- Fire roasts Metalynx, other Steel types not named Tracton, Ice types not named Fafninter, Grass types not named Coatlith or Frikitiki, and Bugs.  When Super Effective, it's also stronger than a neutral Thunderbolt and equal in strength to a neutral Solar Beam as long as the sun is up, unlike the other Hidden Power types. (lowers speed, defense, and special attack by 1 IV)

- Fighting still hits Metalynx, and also hits Fafninter, Tracton, and Actan. (lowers everything except Hp and attack by 1 IV)

- Ice hits all the dragons except Fafninter and Tracton, Grass types not named Frikitiki or Metalynx, and Gliscor. (lowers speed by 1 IV)

- Fairy hits all the dragons bar Tracton, hits some Dark and Fighting types, and annihilates Baariette. (All IVs 31, attack can be any odd number instead)

- Ground hits Chimaconda, Yatagaryu, M-Ampharos, and Tracton.  It also gives you a Super Effective weapon against M-Electruxo if Solar Beam is your only Grass move. (lowers special attack and special defense by 1 IV)

Pick your Hidden Power type carefully based on what team members you have.  It makes a massive difference for Gellin.

Now, as for EVs...this is where things get fun.  If you're running Chlorophyll, you don't need to run any speed while the sun is up.  That's right.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.  Even if you're using a Modest Nature.  This is because base 85 speed with a neutral speed nature gives it a minimum of 206 speed at level 100.  Double that, and you have over 400 speed, which is enough to outspeed all unboosted Alpico.  Put in just a little speed investment of up to 80 speed, and you'll outspeed unboosted Mega Archilles while under the sun (provided it doesn't take advantage of the sun and Flame Impact your face off).  Forget trying to outspeed M-Inflagetah, Inflagetah, and non mega Archilles, though.  Those ones will DEFINITELY Flame Impact your face off, so don't even bother trying.

Remember, this is just against unboosted pokemon.  And while under the sun.  If you're facing another pokemon with Chlorophyll or the sun is not up, you need more speed investment than your opponent has to outspeed them.  Coatlith in particular is a worrying competitor for Gellin as a Chlorophyll user, as a modest Gellin needs 128 speed EVs to outspeed a Modest Coatlith with 0 speed investment and a 31 speed IV.  That 15 base speed difference and nature can make a huge difference when you actually have to worry about something outspeeding you, after all (not that Coatlith has much that it can do to Gellin.  But it can do more to Gellin than Gellin can do to it if the cell lacks a super effective hidden power, so...).

Solar Power is not very recommended for this set since you can't really afford to take a turn to set up Growth if you're losing 1/8 of your HP every turn, unfortunately.  You do have the option to add or take away as much speed in exchange for HP as you like, though.  The fastest pokemon in Uranium have a lot of freedom in the amount of speed they can invest in, after all.

Also of note is that this set performs terribly when the sun isn't up.  You can invest in max speed at the expense of the better bulk and use Giga Drain over Solar Beam if you're worried about the downsides of being completely weather centric.

Suicidal Cell Power (Sun Attacker)
- Solar Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain/Sunny Day
Ability: Either
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, up to 80 Speed, rest in HP (if using Chlorophyll)
OR 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP (if using Solar Power)
Nature: Modest or Timid
Item: Life Orb/Heat Rock/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Forget boosting with Growth.  This set aims to try and do as much damage as possible in the little time allotted by the sunlight.  Giga Drain replaces Growth here to increase Gellin's longevity, or you can use Sunny Day to make Gellin a little more self sufficient.  Otherwise, the set is rather similar to the previous one.

Water?  Pssssh (Rain Support)
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Thunder/Rain Dance
- Thunderbolt/Rain Dance
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP 
Item: Life Orb/Damp Rock/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Ironically enough, Gellin can also function well on a rain team, helping to eliminate enemy water types handily.  You'll have to drop Hidden Power Fire as a viable option, though, and your ability won't help at all unless you're facing a sun team, unfortunately.

Interestingly, you can replace HP-Fire with HP-Water if so desired.  It doesn't hit a whole lot other than fire types in gellin's case, though, so I don't recommend it too much.  Though, it'd be hilarious to predict the non-mega Archilles or Inflagetah switch in and nail them with it while the rain is up, no?

The EVs on this one are a standard special attacker spread, as you can't take advantage of Chlorophyll reliably.  This Gellin ends up a little frailer overall as a result, but can still work to great effect.

Why's it wearing glasses when it has no eyes? (Choiced)
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Psyshock/Solar Beam
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, up to 80 Speed, rest in HP (if using Chlorophyll)
OR 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP (if using Solar Power or not using a Sun Team)
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf

Gellin just barely has enough of a movepool and just enough speed to pull this off.  Chlorophyll is for those who want to sweep, while Solar Power is for those who wish to break walls.

And Thunder isn't recommended if you're running anything besides a Rain Team, and Solar Beam isn't recommended on anything but a Sun Team.

The Single Cell Wall (Special Wall)
- Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Infestation
- Thunderbolt/Infestation
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Recover
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp Atk
OR 252 HP, 252 Sp Defense, 4 Sp Atk
Nature: Bold/Calm
Item: Leftovers

Anyone up for a bulky cell?  Status your foes, trap them with Infestation, whittle them down little by little...just don't try to do it for too long against attackers with super effective moves, and you'll be fine.  Gellin can actually take quite a beating if its defense is fully invested and it takes nothing but neutral hits.  Or you can fully invest in its Special Defense and laugh at all those special attackers as they try to break you.  (Gellin's no Brainor or Syrentide, but it's still pretty dang specially bulky)  Even with no special defense investment and a neutral special defense nature, a Timid M-S51-A T's 150 special attack backed STAB psychic is still only a 3 hit KO.

A Wall of Walls (Dual Screens)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Varying types)/Recover
EVs: 252 Speed, remaining 256 split between HP and Sp Attack (suggestions for a decent mixture between bulk and power are welcome)
Nature: Timid or Modest
Item: Light Clay (not currently available as of version 1.1.0)

Screen support!  What more is there to say?  Just don't use Solar Power on this set since you're aiming to try and stay alive so you can set up the screens multiple times.

Main choice for the EVs this time is if you'd rather have maximum bulk, maximum power, or something in between.  Gellin has a decent amount of natural bulk and a respectable base power, so doing any of those can work rather well. 

Unfortunately, Light Clay's absence in the current version of the game is...bad news as far as this set is concerned.  Dual Screen sets are highly dependent on getting those extra 3 turns out of both screens, so it won't be a set you see all that commonly if Light Clay remains non-existent in Tandor.

Alright, now let's move on to something a little different:

[Image: latest?cb=20160816195941]
Nuclear Gellin.  This little monster is terrifying under the correct conditions.  With Chlorophyll active, it's the fastest Nuclear type in terms of raw speed (since Nuclears, barring Nucleon, can't have HAs currently, it can't have Solar Power).  It trades its Electric STAB for Nuclear, and the damaging Nuclear move it gets is the deadly Radioacid, which is basically a Nuclear type Scald.  If you manage to catch one of these things with the right IVs, consider giving it a try!

Get Burned by a Grass Type! (Nuclear Sweeper)
- Radioacid
- Hidden Power Fire/Fighting
- Solar Beam/Giga Drain
- Growth
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, up to 80 Speed, rest in HP
OR 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Timid or Modest
Item: Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Choice Specs

The entire aim of this set is to capitalize on Radioacid as much as possible.  Solar Beam and Growth are there as additional support for the sun that Gellin oh so loves, Giga Drain is present as an alternative grass move should Solar Beam seem too risky, and Hidden Power covers the Steel types that would stand in Gellin's way.  Bring sun support, and watch as Gellin outspeeds practically everything on the opponent's side of the field with minimal speed investment!  Just keep it away from Inflagetah and Archilles...

Other Move Options 
- Psychic and Psyshock: What odd coverage for Gellin.  Psychic type moves work rather well with Electric for some nice neutral coverage in Uranium, though.  And you can lay the hurt on some Poison and Fighting types with this too.

- Shadow Ball: Okaaaaayyyy...again, you get some nice neutral coverage, and Ghost and Psychic pokemon will be caught off guard very easily.

- Attract: Again, why does a genderless pokemon learn this?

- Acid Armor: Now you can take physical hits well without a ton of investment!  Awesome!

- Taunt: Always useful to shut down enemy walls.

- Magic Coat: Reflects your opponent's status moves, much like the ability Magic Bounce.  This is an interesting move choice for bulky Gellin, since it allows it to reflect taunts, toxics, stealth rocks, and the like.

- Leech Seed and Power Gem: Currently unavailable moves on Gellin since they're in its egg move list, and it's a genderless pokemon.  They could be interesting additions if they become legal options in the future, though...

- Acupressure: Want to have a little fun?  This is the move for you, then!  It raises a random stat by +2, including accuracy and evasion!  This can either be amazingly clutch or backfire horribly, but it's a blast if you're just battling a friend.  It can also raise an ally's stats instead of the user's in a Double Battle! (as long as they aren't behind a substitute)

- Hidden Power Rock: If you REALLY hate fire types for some reason (and Power Gem is not an option for some reason), and still want to handle bug and ice types, this Hidden Power is the one for you.  However, I don't recommend it too much since the fire types should be handled by another member of the team instead of Gellin since Archilles and Inflagetah are the main issues, and Thunderbolt hits Beliaddon harder than HP-Rock will.  What, Pajay?  A 2x SE STAB Thunderbolt is still stronger than a non STAB, 4x SE Hidden Power.  This is Gellin's only good weapon for dealing with Frikitiki without specializing too much, though. (Poison is only for Coatlith, Frikitiki, Luxelong, and other Gellin, while Flying hits the first two and bugs)

Checks, Counters, and Partners
Gellin abhors Dragon and Grass types, as they resist its dual STAB and force it to run Hidden Power to deal with them.  Partners with good ice, fire, dragon, and fairy moves to remove those obstacles make Gellin's job a lot easier.  M-Arbok and Chimaconda are also a problem for Gellin since they can Petrify it and follow up with a Super Effective move before it can act as long as the sun isn't up.  Inflagetah and Archilles roast the single cell organism completely with their fire attacks, outspeeding it with priority Flame Impact.  The sun is as harmful as it is helpful with all that fire flying around.  Bulky water and ground pokemon that can handle taking those attacks help a lot as well because of that.  Seikamater is another pokemon Gellin has issues with, as the bug can throw out Ice, Fire, and Bug moves at a whim, while taking any attack Gellin throws at it rather easily (except maybe a Hidden Power Fire boosted by the sun).

Physical attackers will melt any Gellin with no physical bulk investment.  And while it can afford to invest in HP and take some hits, it will be whittled down bit by bit if it lacks Recover, due to a lack of any useful resistances to many common attacking types.  It pays to bring physical walls and tanks to help compensate for that Archilles heel.

Summary
Gellin is a special tank through and through. It takes and deals special damage like it's nobody's business, while still offering a surprising amount of physical bulk due to its freedom to invest more in HP than speed while running Chlorophyll.  It's rather shallow movepool and reliance on the weather for its most powerful strategies is a highly limiting factor, though.  

N-Gellin, meanwhile, is a speed demon in the sun with a highly lethal attack with a powerful secondary effect.  It's not as lethal as a Nucleon, but it's still very dangerous.  Even without the sun, a Choice Scarfed N-Gellin is not to be trifled with unless you have a Flame Impact handy (which instantly vaporizes it, particularly if the sun is up).

As usual, if you have any suggestions, constructive criticisms, requests for the next guide, etc., I'm more than happy to listen!

EDIT 1: Light Clay is currently available as of version 1.1.0

EDIT 2: More clarification on the first set's sun dependence and alternative options, as well as in a couple other places.
Yet again, you manage to replicate your great talent in this guide! I had similar ideas that you had, but the Rain Set was an complete surprise, given its abilities, but it would work great if its as you describe! Now that you released this guide, I need to get started on the final ghost guide in Uranium...
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
Awesomeness! I really like the Dual Screener Set, shortly followed the the Sun Booster. A slight pity that there is no Light Clay in Uranium, though...
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(06-09-2017, 03:27 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: Yet again, you manage to replicate your great talent in this guide! I had similar ideas that you had, but the Rain Set was an complete surprise, given its abilities, but it would work great if its as you describe! Now that you released this guide, I need to get started on the final ghost guide in Uranium...

Considering rain teams tend to have trouble with enemy water types, and Gellin seems perfectly designed to combat them, I really think the Thunder abuse is certainly a viable option.

Looking forward to that guide on..Chainite, right?  Hmmm...that's another one on my list from all those months ago...ah well, you can have it.  Got plenty of others on that list that I was intending to do, after all!  Not to mention there's still all the other ones that other users had but never did.  There's definitely no shortage of guides to be written.
(06-09-2017, 03:34 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Awesomeness! I really like the Dual Screener Set, shortly followed the the Sun Booster. A slight pity that there is no Light Clay in Uranium, though...

Dang it, you're right!  I completely forgot to check that!  I'll add a note to the set concerning that, since it's VERY important for the set's functionality.
Writing in blue so it's more legible

(06-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Welp, Windos did Arbok already, so he gave me Gellin from his list!  How nice!  I have a soft spot for this giant, Grass and Electric, single cell organism that medium sized humans can ride since it was on my first team in Uranium!  Let's see what it can do outside of the story, shall we?

[Image: latest?cb=20160827182130]

Look at the adorable thing.  It's awesome.  One of my favorite pokemon designs in Uranium by far.  But we're not here to hear me gush, we're here to analyze!  Incoming stats!

HP: 90
Attack: 35
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 120
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 85
Total: 505

Look at that.  That's an awesome stat spread.  Just enough bulk to take one or two physical hits, just enough speed to get by, enough special bulk to tank, and enough special attack to compete with Yatagaryu.  How about abilities?

Chlorophyll: Doubles speed when the weather is sunny
Solar Power (Hidden Ability, Unreleased as of 1.1.0): Increases Special Attack by 1.5 when the weather is sunny, but the pokemon loses 1/8 of their HP every turn this ability is active.

Fun stuff, sun teams.  How's it perform, though?

A Cell that Grows in Sunlight? (Sun Booster)
- Solar Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Growth
EVs: 252 Sp Attack, up to 80 Speed, rest in HP
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

This set needs dedicated sun support to work, and not from Gellin itself.  This makes it a little awkward to use since the only pokemon with Drought in the current version of Uranium is Mega Archilles, and the sun only lasts 5 turns if set up by it.  You'll have to bring some dedicated Sunny Day and Heat Rock pokemon for this one.  Pull it off though, and you've got a monster on your hands.  Double Speed in the sun.  +2 special attack from Growth in the sun.  120 base power move with no drawbacks in the sun.  This is a very sun dependent set, if you couldn't tell already. Wink

Before I continue, let me just say that Gellin seems to be designed as an anti-water pokemon.  If there's a water type, Gellin can hit it super effectively with one of its STAB moves (with the sole exception of Ludicolo).  Ground, Rock, and Flying types that are weak to its STAB moves also need to beware.  Unlike Neopunk, though, Gellin's STAB coverage is fairly lackluster, since more pokemon are resistant to them than weak to them.  Primarily dragon and grass types.

And that's what Hidden Power is for.  There's several types that you can make it to try and broaden your coverage options, but every option will leave you at the mercy of something that a different Hidden Power would have helped with.

- Fire roasts Metalynx, other Steel types not named Tracton, Ice types not named Fafninter, Grass types not named Coatlith or Frikitiki, and Bugs.  When Super Effective, it's also stronger than a neutral Thunderbolt and equal in strength to a neutral Solar Beam as long as the sun is up, unlike the other Hidden Power types. (lowers speed, defense, and special attack by 1 IV)

- Fighting still hits Metalynx, and also hits Fafninter, Tracton, and Actan. (lowers everything except Hp and attack by 1 IV)

- Ice hits all the dragons except Fafninter and Tracton, Grass types not named Frikitiki or Metalynx, and Gliscor. (lowers speed by 1 IV)

- Fairy hits all the dragons bar Tracton, hits some Dark and Fighting types, and annihilates Baariette. (All IVs 31, attack can be any odd number instead)

- Ground hits Chimaconda, Yatagaryu, M-Ampharos, and Tracton.  It also gives you a Super Effective weapon against M-Electruxo if Solar Beam is your only Grass move. (lowers special attack and special defense by 1 IV)

Pick your Hidden Power type carefully based on what team members you have.  It makes a massive difference for Gellin.

Now, as for EVs...this is where things get fun.  If you're running Chlorophyll, you don't need to run any speed while the sun is up.  That's right.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.  Even if you're using a Modest Nature.  This is because base 85 speed with a neutral speed nature gives it a minimum of 206 speed at level 100.  Double that, and you have over 400 speed, which is enough to outspeed all unboosted Alpico.  Put in just a little speed investment of up to 80 speed, and you'll outspeed unboosted Mega Archilles while under the sun (provided it doesn't take advantage of the sun and Flame Impact your face off).  Forget trying to outspeed M-Inflagetah, Inflagetah, and non mega Archilles, though.  Those ones will DEFINITELY Flame Impact your face off, so don't even bother trying.

Remember, this is just against unboosted pokemon.  And while under the sun.  If you're facing another pokemon with Chlorophyll or the sun is not up, you need more speed investment than your opponent has to outspeed them.  Coatlith in particular is a worrying competitor for Gellin as a Chlorophyll user, as a modest Gellin needs 128 speed EVs to outspeed a Modest Coatlith with 0 speed investment and a 31 speed IV.  That 15 base speed difference and nature can make a huge difference when you actually have to worry about something outspeeding you, after all (not that Coatlith has much that it can do to Gellin.  But it can do more to Gellin than Gellin can do to it if the cell lacks a super effective hidden power, so...).

Solar Power is not very recommended for this set since you can't really afford to take a turn to set up Growth if you're losing 1/8 of your HP every turn, unfortunately.  You do have the option to add or take away as much speed in exchange for HP as you like, though.  The fastest pokemon in Uranium have a lot of freedom in the amount of speed they can invest in, after all.

I'm afraid we're not stressing enough on something really important here : how poorly Gellin fares when not under the sun. While it might seem tempting not to invest in speed since we're going to have it doubled under the sun, that would leave us with a SLOW pokemon without the sun. The EV investment has to be thought under normal conditions, not when the sun is up. The main reason is that sun setters might have it difficult to find an opportunity to do their job.

-Mega Archilles does forces a lot of switches, but cannot switch very often into even neutral hits. And you said it, since it can't hold a Heat Rock, its utility purposes are limited.
-Prankster Antarki and Whimsicott have it easier, but need to invest in bulk so they can work decently.
-If using a bulky Leafeon (ie with Leaf Guard and investment such as to make a good use of its 130 Defense BS) you could set up the sun and make a slow Baton Pass to safely bring Gellin in. The problem is that it shares its typing with the amoeba so it might be difficult to find an opening.

Plus, there's still the threat of Yatagaryu and Mega Electruxo ruining your (sunny) day.

In that respect, Gellin might find itself more often than not in a position where it can't use a two-turn attack and gets outsped by pokemon that it would otherwise deal with ease. I would make calcs to prove my point, but there's also the problem of factoring which Hidden Power Gellin is going to use, so... But yeah, weird stuff like Dermafrost, Anderind and non mega Arbok for instance would outspeed and inflict serious damage if Gellin is uninvested. 252 EV in Speed is an option, in this case consider the speed boost from Chlorophyll only as a bonus and not something it needs to have every time it hits the field. Or you could establish another speed benchmark and get the HP investment at the cost of having unusual mons outspeeding you (bar the ones that run SE moves, these you need to outspeed even when not under the sun).

Also,  Solar Beam vs Giga Drain : Solar Beam packs a consistent punch when under the sun but is near unusable otherwise, and Giga Drain grants more longevity in nullifying the Life Orb recoil. Gellin has an ok bulk, similar to that of Venusaur. It is not as frail a sweeper as Victreebel, which, on the contrary prefers the nuking power of Solar Beam. I don’t have a personal preference for one move, I just think it is worth considering using Giga Drain as well.

(06-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Suicidal Cell Power (Sun Attacker)
- Solar Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain/Sunny Day
OR 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP (if using Solar Power)
Item: Life Orb/Heat Rock/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Forget boosting with Growth.  This set aims to try and do as much damage as possible in the little time allotted by the sunlight.  Giga Drain replaces Growth here to increase Gellin's longevity, or you can use Sunny Day to make Gellin a little more self sufficient.  Otherwise, the set is rather similar to the previous one.
Good work suggesting a double Grass stab. Life Orb seems to be the best item to hold for this set. The EV spread is subject to the same discussion as the previous set.

(06-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Dragonstrike Wrote: Why's it wearing glasses when it has no eyes? (Choiced)
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Psyshock/Solar Beam
OR 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP (if using Solar Power)
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf

Gellin just barely has enough of a movepool and just enough speed to pull this off.  Chlorophyll is for those who want to sweep, while Solar Power is for those who wish to break walls.
Harsh Sunlight reduces Thunder’s accuracy to 50%.
@shademonkey, the talking got me wondering: How useful would be in your eyes a Pajay holding a Heat Rock as a Sun Setter with Sunny Day in their move pool? Just in theory.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
(06-10-2017, 10:36 AM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: @shademonkey, the talking got me wondering: How useful would be in your eyes a Pajay holding a Heat Rock as a Sun Setter with Sunny Day in their move pool? Just in theory.

Not them, but in my opinion Pajay would not be such an good option for that, given its 4X weakness to Stealth Rocks, how fragile the fiery bird is, and the fact that M-Syrentide would give it a hard time...yeah.

Three good Sun setters I can think of are Luxelong, Dunsereph, and Sableyes. Luxelong has access to Wish, DD, CM, Heal Bell and BP, and is slower enough that SlowPassing is very feasible. Dunsereph with its HA Cloud Nine can cancel any ongoing weather, set up its own, then quickly escape and/or harass the enemy while tanking blow after blow (And heal it all of with Roost!). Sableyes has Pransters, so it can set it immedianlty, and its Megalution can work as Hazard control as well (at the cost of a few extra turn of Sun, but that is up to the user to decide if its worth it!).
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
Hmm... Fair enough about Pajay. Also thanks for the Suggestions of possible Sun Setters! Dunsereph sounds very good for the reasons given, followed by Luxelong.
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
Fun fact : Pajay and Gellin are the names of two French communes.

Hmm Pajay... Well, that would depend on which role your want your bird to assume I guess.
Pajay has a good movepool but its stats are a big letdown : Will-o-Wisp, Sunny Day, Roost, usable Fire stabs, Tailwind, Solar Beam, U-Turn, Trick... but the bird is super frail and doesn't hit as hard as one would hope. Right now, without functional tiers, Pajay cannot compete with the popular forces that are being used.

But once we've got a stable UU or NU, I guess Pajay could do ok in setting the sun for an ally Cararalm or Quetzoral. I'm totally clueless how well that would work but you could try this:

Pajay
Flash Fire
Leftovers/Heat Rock
Timid, 252 Speed, the rest split between HP and Special defense, ending up with an odd final number of HP.
-Sunny Day
-Flamethrower / Overheat / Fire Blast
-Roost
-Will-o-Wisp

Flash Fire for the opportunity to switch on a additional immunity. Max speed investment because you don't want to be Taunt bait. Will-o-Wisp and the rest of the defensive EV to tank a hit (I hope? Who knows which pokemon it'll have to face) and provide support for the team. An offensive version would be :

Pajay
Flash Fire
Life Orb
Timid, 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense
-Sunny Day
-Fire stab
-Solar Beam
-Air Slash / HP Rock / Roost

No need for more explanation. If you want to use Pajay outside of a Sun team, U-Turn over Sunny Day would be pretty interesting to keep the momentum, despite its abysmal Attack BS, but you'd have to use a reliable spinner or defogger.