Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So... Anime.
Video 
Getting a chance to watch the... despondently TERRIBLE Ghost in the Shell film recently just reminded me how much I missed anime. Obviously the poison of choice in a Pokemon forum will likely be Pokemon, but it's always interesting to see what people are watching.

My own preferences, lean towards mecha and psychological drama, though anything with an oddball or awesome enough premise that catches my attention will likely cause me to give it a shot. No real preferences between Seinen and Shonen shows - my taste fluctuate between the two based on my own moods.

Currently, staying apace of the current season of Boku no Hero Academia, and it's working out for me as a 'switch off brain and revel in the chaos' type experience.

Previously came in off a binge watch of Log Horizon, which I was recommended by a friend.

What is everyone watching right now?
I like sci fi anime like Ghost in the Shell, and I'm a big fan of Cowboy BeBoop. I also very partial to romantic anime as well, with Rosario + Vampire being a favorite of mine <3~! My favorite anime is Future Diaries, though its not for the faint of heart...

Other than that, I love Studio Gibhli films, and would love the chance to get and watch Hal's Moving Castle.
Like the wind, I come and go as I please... but I am always there to provide a comforting breeze.

Member of Team PUNishment. Pun-pare for Struggle, make it Double Team!

Heart Phantom is my OTP~ Heart

Online ID: 000650
(04-18-2017, 08:15 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: (...) and would love the chance to get and watch Hal's Moving Castle.

How convenient. That's my definitive favorite by Ghibli.
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(04-18-2017, 08:44 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote:
(04-18-2017, 08:15 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: (...) and would love the chance to get and watch Hal's Moving Castle.

How convenient. That's my definitive favorite by Ghibli.

Grave of the Fireflies is mine. Porco Rosso's in close pursuit.

(04-18-2017, 08:15 PM)Lord Windos Wrote: I like sci fi anime... I also very partial to romantic anime as well...

Macross. Maaaaacccccrrrrrrrroooooooooooosssssssss...

Do You Remember Love, Plus and Frontier, for me at least have sort of become ur examples of what this sort of hybrid aspires towards.
Don't forgot about Princess Mononoke. Contains blood and a severed animal head, but nature isn't always nice and fluffy, right?
"Anything can be art. Anything can be self-expression. Now take your weapon and run with it" [Gerard Way]
--Windos is my OTP ❤---
`❤★`°・:*:・。[Image: fgHY4]。・:*:・゚’★❤`
(04-18-2017, 09:23 PM)PhantomUnderYourDesk Wrote: Don't forgot about Princess Mononoke. Contains blood and a severed animal head, but nature isn't always nice and fluffy, right?

If by nice and fluffy, you mean red in tooth and claw, yup.
One of the Creshire Gym Leaders is named Howl.

Howl's Moving Castle is a masterpiece, both the book and the anime.

I recently watched Death Note and enjoyed it, though it's not really one to take seriously, of course. Same for Sword Art Online.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(04-18-2017, 09:41 PM)Iron Wrote: Same for Sword Art Online.

We can never be friends... I kid. I kid. People don't need to like what I like, and the converse is true.  Cool 

But truth is I'm not actually a fan of SAO. Found Kirito an irritatingly flat wish-fulfillment character. Likewise, I found the MMO trappings irritatingly forced, like someone who had never played an MMO trying to imagine what an MMO looked like.

Which is ironic, because, I'm all about LIVING IN THE DATABASE.

As a "trapped in MMO" plot, Log Horizon worked for me better because of the world building element. The idea that it was an ensemble cast struggling together to build a harmonious society from very confused, bored and destructive godlike beings and the disruption their arrival causes to the geopolitical landscape rather than one man's journey sold the show for me.

That said. SAO does manage some beautifully frenetic fight sequences.
Yeah Kirito is bad. SAO has all the stereotypical anime problems. It's just a fun vicarious show - it's fun to imagine being in it.

Death Note is the opposite, where I'd hate to be in that world, but I like the art and I like L's voice and I like the death gods a lot.

Neither holds a candle to Ghibli anime, it's just what I've watched most recently. And I don't generally describe myself as an anime fan anyway unless you count cartoons.
Current project:
http://fringehikers.com/
Tabletop RPG PokeRole: http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=789
"I encourage Sceptile to branch out."
(04-18-2017, 10:52 PM)Iron Wrote: Yeah Kirito is bad. SAO has all the stereotypical anime problems. It's just a fun vicarious show - it's fun to imagine being in it.

Death Note is the opposite, where I'd hate to be in that world, but I like the art and I like L's voice and I like the death gods a lot.

Neither holds a candle to Ghibli anime, it's just what I've watched most recently. And I don't generally describe myself as an anime fan anyway unless you count cartoons.

Ghibli is a class act, really. It's just unapproachable in terms of quality (not hard to watch, just... a class of it's own) and Hayao Miyazaki is basically anime's Steven Spielberg equivalent. (Steven Spielberg is basically Hollywoods Hayao Mayazaki? And would that make Mamoru Oshii Stanley Kubrick... Hmm.)

I vacillate really. Sometimes, I just want an earnest, lovable studio Ghibli film.

And then there's times when stuff like this which keeps me up at night thinking: